Options

Glare on the Glasses

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited January 18, 2008 in Finishing School
I bit off a big chunk I guess. I went to shoot this family over the holidays and they wanted to have their photos done in their side room. The side room is a decent size, however, the studio lights couldn't go very high because of the ceiling. With that said the images came out pretty good except the people with glasses show the glare from the lights. The customer wants all glare removed from their glasses. I've been editing for four days how and a couple of the images I can get to come out okay, otherwise, the eyes look fake because of the amount of painting I'm having to do.

Does anyone have any recommendation how I can save this client?

244529856-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JDrakeJDrake Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Sorry...can't help...but I have a similar problem that I can't fix...

Anyone able to get rid of the glasses totally??? (I might be willing to pay someone to do this if ya can! ;) )
    The Painting Pony - Raising $ for Equine Cushings Disease Research.

Drake Photography - My Home on the Web
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Been there too
    Not sure how many images you have but what I have done is very carefully used healing brush tool and copied skin from the forehead over the lenses and then used the liquify to smooth it. One of my clients recently wore very round convex lenses that were near impossible to shoot no matter what angles I used.

Now I am more careful with eyeglass wearers. I have them slightly turn their heads to not shoot straight on and watch the light placement. I also have them tilt their lenses down with the temples above the ear. And finally, I also ask to shoot one or two frames for head shots without glasses. You can copy the eye area over the glass in the lenses. I also tell eyeglass wearers that if they wear them, I cannot guarantee anything if they don't tilt or give me the opportunity to shoot them without glasses.

JDrake wrote:
    Sorry...can't help...but I have a similar problem that I can't fix...

Anyone able to get rid of the glasses totally??? (I might be willing to pay someone to do this if ya can! ;) )
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    I bit off a big chunk I guess. I went to shoot this family over the holidays and they wanted to have their photos done in their side room. The side room is a decent size, however, the studio lights couldn't go very high because of the ceiling. With that said the images came out pretty good except the people with glasses show the glare from the lights. The customer wants all glare removed from their glasses. I've been editing for four days how and a couple of the images I can get to come out okay, otherwise, the eyes look fake because of the amount of painting I'm having to do.

Does anyone have any recommendation how I can save this client?

244529856-L.jpg

If you post a link to the original sized image, I'll take a look at what detail is around for cloning and offer some ideas - perhaps even see if I can do it. I have done this before on some of my own images, but one definitely needs to see the high res version and do a lot of fine detail copying and cloning often working at 100%.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Scott,

I can't help you with the fix, I read somewhere about posing people with glasses. The article was directed toward portraits, but I think it should work on group shots. The basic premise is that if you can change the Angle of the light, or glasses the light being reflected will miss the camera lens. Maybe try having the glass wearers simply tilt the glasses down on there faces. While that may alter the view the wearers has, from the camera view it will look fine.

One thing that bothers me about this photo is the busy background and tilted picture on the wall behind the group.

Sam
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    I've done what Sam is talking about a few times. In the movies it's called "cheating the shot" It makes the shot look natural even if it looks strange behind the scenes.
    So for future reference, you can have the ppl take the backs of their glasses and raise them up about an inch above their ears. You'll get some strange looks, but all you need to tell them is something like, "trust me, this will make you look much better" they'll usually comply. Everyone wants to look good in a photo. And it's interesting for them to help in your photography "trickery".

BTW: Moving glasses so the flash is not in them is called "removing the glasses from the family of angles" (I just learned this not to long ago and wanted to share!)

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    ChrisKraftPhotoChrisKraftPhoto Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    If you want to put up the original file, I'll see if it comes out as good as this.

244680175-L.jpg

Brush tool, clone stamp, dodge/burn tool and a little opacity change.

EDIT: like this one better. Obviously; I'd spend more time on the original :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 18, 2008
    Excellent job.

Now about the drapery......:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Excellent job.

Now about the drapery......:D

Ohhh . . . that's meanrolleyes1.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.