Rotate broken?

madeingermanymadeingermany Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited January 18, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Is rotate broken, or is it me?

I have an image that has its ground on the left, so I select "right" from the rotate menu. Afterwards my image has the ground on top.

Anybody else? Or am I just too tired? ;)

Comments

• SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 18, 2008
    Is rotate broken, or is it me?

I have an image that has its ground on the left, so I select "right" from the rotate menu. Afterwards my image has the ground on top.

Anybody else? Or am I just too tired? ;)

I'm afraid you're just too tired. Think about holding the photo in your hand and rotating it clockwise. The bottom of the photo will also move clockwise, or from being on the left to the being on the top.

Try rotating left instead.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • madeingermanymadeingermany Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    but the lady in the "right" example also has her "bottom" on the left - the same as my picture?!?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited January 18, 2008
    but the lady in the "right" example also has her "bottom" on the left - the same as my picture?!?
    The rotate examples apply to the image labelled "example". So if you take the example image and rotate it to the right, you will get the image shown over the right button.

--- Denise
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    I was wondering the same thing with the rotate button. I worked one of my photos, but then not one two others. Will play with it again today.
  • afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    I always thought those pictures were very confusing. I understand what they mean, but I think it would be more helpful to have the pictures represent the 'before' with the assumption that after rotating they would be correct.
  • madeingermanymadeingermany Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    I propose something like "CCW 90°"
    afarber wrote:
    I always thought those pictures were very confusing. I understand what they mean, but I think it would be more helpful to have the pictures represent the 'before' with the assumption that after rotating they would be correct.

And I think the main reason it is confusing is that nobody rotates a portrait to the side, so of course I'm assuming it is the before and not the after...

I'd also like to add that the convention for describing image rotation seems to be in terms of clockwise or counter-clockwise and a degree number.

Really no big deal, now that I know how it works, but on the other hand every mistake you make in this feature is very expansive, because it takes a while for it to show up and maybe you don't even notice, because you moved on...