Options

Can this be saved

BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited February 19, 2008 in Finishing School
Howdy All-

So tonight hanging out with friends smoking cigars I took a shot with this challenge in mind with my P&S camera of a spontaneous moment. The problem with it is that I think it has too much noise from the high ISO. Can that be reduced? :scratch

This image is straight out of the camera, just cropped. It is JPEG only.
244601762-M.jpg

Thanks for looking.
-=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Not a chance from my seat. I mean yes you could reduce the noise & make the photo have more blur & its certainly got its fair share of that to begine with.

Just a bit of advice. If you are attempting this sort of thing with a point & shoot or even other larger cameras in poor light. Sit the camera on something thats stable...it does not have to be a straight surface, i love seeing a photo from any other angle but eye level. Let the camera do its longer exposure.

This will catch the motionless items in sharper focus & the movement of what or whom is moving...in a somewhat more artistic sense.

Anyway ..this is one i took ages back with a point & shoot as i held it on a stool.
  • Options
    D.RodgersD.Rodgers Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Now that you have some tips for shooting at night(good advice)

I alway find not all image are perfect out the camera.Dodgeing and burning are darkroom techniques from the film days.
    I ran this thru pse(6).
    First a strong noise reduction,then auto sharpen and some burning to rid the highlit area.A white balance change was done in levels by using the white dropper on the white part of the shirt.
    I like the look a bit better hope this helps.
    night-cigar.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Thanks for the Tips
    I saw it and took it, it was not a planned or posed shot. The tripod was sitting in the hotel room. We were sitting at the bar having cigars and I saw the opportunity. So I figured I would take it. I will see what I can do with denoise and wb in photoshop.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    I like it, but don't love it... But try some different treatments and see what you get.
  • Options
    kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Howdy All-

So tonight hanging out with friends smoking cigars I took a shot with this challenge in mind with my P&S camera of a spontaneous moment. The problem with it is that I think it has too much noise from the high ISO. Can that be reduced? headscratch.gif

244601762-M.jpg

Thanks for looking.
    I tried some noise ninja on it and did some HIRALOAM sharpening for local contrast without sharpening the noise.
    -Kevin
    244601762-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    very cool, thanks.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Howdy All-

So tonight hanging out with friends smoking cigars I took a shot with this challenge in mind with my P&S camera of a spontaneous moment. The problem with it is that I think it has too much noise from the high ISO. Can that be reduced? headscratch.gif

244601762-M.jpg

Thanks for looking.

This is what I came up with real quick in Noise Ninja and Photoshop
    Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Thanks.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 19, 2008
    Sorry, I've been distracted by all the LPS hype, but is there a reason I'm missing about why this is in the Contest forum?

Bradford, I'm sure we can get you more looks/opinions if we move this over to another forum, technique, photo finish? Just give me the word.

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Sorry, I've been distracted by all the LPS hype, but is there a reason I'm missing about why this is in the Contest forum?

Bradford, I'm sure we can get you more looks/opinions if we move this over to another forum, technique, photo finish? Just give me the word.

thanks,

Howdy-

The question makes perfect sense. I posted this originally during LPS#20 which was Hands or Face to look for assistance. If I posted it in the wrong spot, let me know and feel free to move it.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 19, 2008
    Howdy-

The question makes perfect sense. I posted this originally during LPS#20 which was Hands or Face to look for assistance. If I posted it in the wrong spot, let me know and feel free to move it.
    Aha - wow its old! lol3.gif

well, since there's some good techniques here, I'm moving to another forum, you might even get some more tips/comments.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]