Options

Some Basic Questions about international sales

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
Hello!

I'm considering signing up for a Pro account and have
some basic questions because I am not an US citizen
and most of my customers are European (until now ;) ).

1. Can clients order prints to Europe? If so, how does it affect (shipping)
costs?

2. Is it possible to use site costomization to get localization (I'm thinking
JavaScript) and display prices in non US$ currencies too?

3. When getting paid via SmugMug, is recieveing a printed paper check by
mail the only option? Or can I also charge customers directly via PayPal
or similar?

I hope I didn't overlook the answers in the faqs. Thank you for your help.
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• Options
    Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Hello!

I'm considering signing up for a Pro account and have
    some basic questions because I am not an US citizen
    and most of my customers are European (until now ;) ).

I see you have posted in the main thread regarding foreign currency, however I will summarise the answers for you:
    1. Can clients order prints to Europe? If so, how does it affect (shipping)
    costs?

Prints can be ordered to Europe and shipping costs are approximately 2-3 times that of shipping to US (link)
    2. Is it possible to use site costomization to get localization (I'm thinking
    JavaScript) and display prices in non US$ currencies too?

As you will have seen in the other thread, prices are only displayed in US$.
    3. When getting paid via SmugMug, is recieveing a printed paper check by
    mail the only option? Or can I also charge customers directly via PayPal
    or similar?

The only option Smugmug provides at the moment is a check in US$

Hopefully with the push from enough people, foreign currency will become a priority for Smugmug but dont get too excited anytime soon.
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2008
    Thanks Craig. I overlooked the price listing on the sm pages.
    But I'm surprised that there isn't even a way to access the prices
    using site customization. This would give us geeks a sleek
    way to calculate the prices in a different currency using
    scripts. Well, looks like we have to wait until this happens.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Thanks Craig. I overlooked the price listing on the sm pages.
    But I'm surprised that there isn't even a way to access the prices
    using site customization. This would give us geeks a sleek
    way to calculate the prices in a different currency using
    scripts. Well, looks like we have to wait until this happens.

Smugmug does not necessarily charge at the point of placing the order, rather if the photographer has delayed printing on etc the charge to the persons credit card may be a few days post the actual transaction. As all costs are in US$ you can not just take current exchange rate and display price in other currency.

If course you have thought that you could just move the billing forward to the point of sale and things should be easy from a currency conversion point of view. Oh well...
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2008
    Smugmug does not necessarily charge at the point of placing the order, rather if the photographer has delayed printing on etc the charge to the persons credit card may be a few days post the actual transaction. As all costs are in US$ you can not just take current exchange rate and display price in other currency.

If course you have thought that you could just move the billing forward to the point of sale and things should be easy from a currency conversion point of view. Oh well...

I would consider this a minor problem, if clients were able to see the
    estimated price in their currency next to the USD price it would at least
    help them to get get an idea of the actual costs.

If they only see prices in USD most customers will click the page away
    suspecting a complicated transaction because their country's currency
    seems unknown to the system. Most people have never made an international
    transactions in their life.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    ... If they only see prices in USD most customers will click the page away...
    It's true, and the vast majority do simply move on. Thing is, unlike you, my practice is in Canada, where US dollar transactions are far more common.

In my first several months with SM many customers spent a lot of time in the galleries, only to call me for prints. Even after being told about the on-line fulfillment process they look, then run the other way. So I've spent the last year asking customers why. The result?

They:
    1/ dislike the added expense
    2/ don't want the added hassle and wait times,
    3/ distrust cross-boarder credit card transactions, and
    4/ very much dislike being treated as second-class customers.

Thing is: If it was a CDN dollar transaction, I think most of those complaints would sail away.
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    xris wrote:
    The result?

They:
    1/ dislike the added expense
    2/ don't want the added hassle and wait times,
    3/ distrust cross-boarder credit card transactions, and
    4/ very much dislike being treated as second-class customers.

I think as far as the UK is concerned the points 1 to 4 above it is really No 1 that hits the hardest, but No4 also makes it awkward, as the CC companies additionally charge for buying in foreign currency (USD)

I don't think 2 and 3 would apply that much nowadays

However I have just bought some prints for myself [12 x 12" by18" prints] and have to say the postage is a real sting.

The total difference between buying the same product from SM and from any of the main reputable suppliers in the UK is $73. Over half of that is postage, the rest is cheaper print prices in the `UK but that is quite a difference

If a way could be found round this price disparity when obtaining prints here is the UK it would be worth it I'm suremwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Interesting
    I Simonius wrote:
    The total difference between buying the same product from SM and from any of the main reputable suppliers in the UK is $73. Over half of that is postage, the rest is cheaper print prices in the `UK but that is quite a difference
    Interesting. I'd be interested in knowing how long it took to recieve the order and which shipping choice you used?
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    xris wrote:
    Interesting. I'd be interested in knowing how long it took to recieve the order and which shipping choice you used?
    thumb.gif

erm.. just deafult shipping I presume... total $41.90 ne_nau.gif

I'll let you know when it arrives - if I remembermwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    DavidWoofDavidWoof Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Was wondering if there has been any movement on offering international options?

Same problems apply for me - I always end up having to use another service to provide prints, which adds unnecessary work.

One way around this could be for SmugMug to link with a European lab, so prints were charged and shipped from within Europe, reducing the shipping costs, shipping time, and unease/inconvenience regarding international transactions. Whilst we may say "that isn't a problem", it's the perception of customers that is key, and all of mine have responded in that way, to the extent that I had to remove the purchasing options from my galleries to avoid confusion - they now just contact me for for prints. Very inconvenient for us all!

So, to sum up, are there any plans for SmugMug to link with a UK or European lab, so that I/we can take full advantages of the facilities in our Pro subscriptions?

Thanks,

Dave.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    DavidWoof wrote:
    Was wondering if there has been any movement on offering international options?

Same problems apply for me - I always end up having to use another service to provide prints, which adds unnecessary work.

One way around this could be for SmugMug to link with a European lab, so prints were charged and shipped from within Europe, reducing the shipping costs, shipping time, and unease/inconvenience regarding international transactions. Whilst we may say "that isn't a problem", it's the perception of customers that is key, and all of mine have responded in that way, to the extent that I had to remove the purchasing options from my galleries to avoid confusion - they now just contact me for for prints. Very inconvenient for us all!

So, to sum up, are there any plans for SmugMug to link with a UK or European lab, so that I/we can take full advantages of the facilities in our Pro subscriptions?

Thanks,

Dave.
    Hi, we don't comment much about future plans. We do know that you and some others are very much interested in foreign currency options, and local printing in Europe and elsewhere. Thanks for telling us how important is is for you! You can add your voice, here, too: http://smugmug.uservoice.com