Still too busy?

Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited January 24, 2008 in People
Two of my favorite people here! I love this photo (still playing with the color) The shadows were really bad in this picture, I know that. My question here is composition. I like it but want some input on why it does not work for you (if it doesn't) Thanks guys!

244656631-M-0.jpg
"Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    I think the composition is unique and interesting. The railing nicely frames the image. I like it!
  • SirGeorgeSirGeorge Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Lens distortion
    Karrie,

I like your direction and art, as in beauty, is in the eye of the beholder but a couple of observations which may improve the composition, or not, for you.

1) When using a wide angled composition with geometric shape you often create an obvious distortion which, to me eye, leaps out. If you look are the vertical lines to the center left of the image you will see that they slope a little too much. This can be corrected in PP using the lens distortion filter

2) What value does the image to the right of the vertical pole on the right of the railing add. I would suggest that after the lens distrotion has been corrected that you crop out the right hand side of the image to draw attention to the faces.

Just my thoughts -I hope you find them useful.

Kind regards,

ps I made a quick cut at my concept using 'transform distortion' mode on PS7 which is what i have on my work PC. the CS suites and Lightroom allow you to adjust much more accurately.
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif with George in all point. I want to add that I think this is a fantastic image. thumb.gif
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Yay!
    wings.gif I'm happy. I was affraid I would get a different response. Something like...ewe there are too many bars in the way....or something like that. I really like this picture and your responses are helping me gain a little confidence in my "eye". Thank you all very much for taking the time to look, and critique!
  • BoomerangNetwork.comBoomerangNetwork.com Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Love the leading line of the railing. Very nice image.
    Andrew Osterberg

Moving Beyond Photography

VirtualPhotographyStudio.com
  • SirGeorgeSirGeorge Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Crtitiques
    Karrie,
    It is brave to put stuff out there and seek criticism...but it will certainly make you better even if you do not agree with everyone - this is art not science.
  • LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    I like your shot, and even better with George's suggestions.

Good eye!

And as to too many lines etc... I was thinking of doing a series called "Life is busy" with all of the "busy" shots that I like - even though they are "busy".
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    SirGeorge wrote:
    Karrie,

I like your direction and art, as in beauty, is in the eye of the beholder but a couple of observations which may improve the composition, or not, for you.

1) When using a wide angled composition with geometric shape you often create an obvious distortion which, to me eye, leaps out. If you look are the vertical lines to the center left of the image you will see that they slope a little too much. This can be corrected in PP using the lens distortion filter

2) What value does the image to the right of the vertical pole on the right of the railing add. I would suggest that after the lens distrotion has been corrected that you crop out the right hand side of the image to draw attention to the faces.

Just my thoughts -I hope you find them useful.

Kind regards,

ps I made a quick cut at my concept using 'transform distortion' mode on PS7 which is what i have on my work PC. the CS suites and Lightroom allow you to adjust much more accurately.
    Untitled-1.jpg

I do like this crop a lot better. And, honestly, I was trying to crop like this however I was keeping it at a 4x6 shape so I could print and it wasn't let me get a crop like this. So, my question is, am I doing crop wrong or will this version of the photo not print as a 4X6. Also, I don't think I am seeing the distortion...do you mean the lines in the bricks or the rails?
    Sorry to bump this back up but this is good stuff to know. I really do like this crop better and if it is possible to do and print as a 4X6 please tell me how. Thank you all very much!!!
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Don't let paper format drive your artistic decisions unless there's a very good reason. You can always print it on 4x6 paper and trim the white borders on the ends.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.