Saving keyword entries.

papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
edited February 14, 2008 in SmugMug Support
After losing twenty minutes worth of keyword entry because I navigated away from the bulk keyword entry page without saving first, I decided I wouldn't let that happen again by saving frequently during keyword entry.

But hitting SAVE takes me back to a gallery view instead of just saving the work in process while still in the editing screen, and forces me to re-enter the Bulk Keyword edit screen via PhotoTools.

Having both a "SAVE (& stay in edit mode)" and a "SAVE (& return to gallery)" would be an enhancement. Having SM "auto-save" keyword input in the background would be even better (IMHO).

BTW...I was in working in a SmugMug style gallery if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Comments

• papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    papajay wrote:
    After losing twenty minutes worth of keyword entry because I navigated away from the bulk keyword entry page without saving first, I decided I wouldn't let that happen again by saving frequently during keyword entry.

But hitting SAVE takes me back to a gallery view instead of just saving the work in process while still in the editing screen, and forces me to re-enter the Bulk Keyword edit screen via PhotoTools.

Having both a "SAVE (& stay in edit mode)" and a "SAVE (& return to gallery)" would be an enhancement. Having SM "auto-save" keyword input in the background would be even better (IMHO).

Thanks.

Bump... (no acknowledgement or reply to initial post...is "bumping" proper DGRIN user etiquette?...hope so, otherwise, my apologies)
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    papajay wrote:

Thanks.
    Just be sure to hit preview first before saving to add the keywords. That
    adds them to the keyword boxes. But it won't take until you hit save.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    papajay wrote:
    Bump... (no acknowledgement or reply to initial post...is "bumping" proper DGRIN user etiquette?...hope so, otherwise, my apologies)
    It's fine - sorry we missed your first post on this.

Papa, do you use an image editor or organizer, like Photoshop, or Picasa, iPhoto, or similar? ear.gif
    edited February 12, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Just be sure to hit preview first before saving to add the keywords. That
    adds them to the keyword boxes. But it won't take until you hit save.

Tnx Allen...I normally do hit preview first, yes. But as I discovered, you can lose a significant amount of entry effort in a heartbeat if anything (a distraction or momentary loss of concentration) allows you to navigate away from the bulk edit page without first hitting SAVE...

...and the punishment for trying to SAVE often (to counter the above situation) is the inconvenience of having to re-enter the edit mode through Photo Tools rather than just being able to SAVE and remain in edit mode (as you can do in most software applications I'm familiar with... like Word, Excel, etc.)
    edited February 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    It's fine - sorry we missed your first post on this.

Papa, do you use an image editor or organizer, like Photoshop, or Picasa, iPhoto, or similar? ear.gif

Thanks Andy:
    This may come as a shock to you, but I actually like how SmugMug's bulk keyword editor works, so while I use an organizer (Corel Photo Album and more just recently Adobe Elements) for organizing, rotating, cropping and minor exposure adjustments, I've stayed with SM's editor for keywords and captions....fast, simple, powerful, IMHO...especially for mass editing/adding keywords to galleries with a large number of images.

Are the image editors a better choice than SM for keyword and caption entry?
  • tgelstontgelston Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    slight hijack
    So I had another post http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=83931 about keyword synching that understandably has gotten no response - it is out there and I didn't think anyone could really help. . BUT I think I have an idea that papajay might like and that I think will greatly help me.

I am going to work on a javascript page that contains a list of all my common keywords - clicking on the keyword will insert it at my cursor. . now I only kinda of know what I am talking about. . it might not be possible to pass a javascript value from one page to another but I thought I would put it out there as something I am going to try. I love aperture for key-wording all my photos but I have 10K plus that I uploaded before using aperture that need keywords.

And to directly answer
    Are the image editors a better choice than SM for keyword and caption entry?
    Aperture and lightroom both are amazing for keywording and captioning your images. I love how easy it is in Aperture and wish I had been using it for the past year not just the past 2 months.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
    Tobias
    edited February 14, 2008
    tgelston wrote:
    So I had another post http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=83931 about keyword synching that understandably has gotten no response - it is out there and I didn't think anyone could really help. . BUT I think I have an idea that papajay might like and that I think will greatly help me.

I am going to work on a javascript page that contains a list of all my common keywords - clicking on the keyword will insert it at my cursor. . now I only kinda of know what I am talking about. . it might not be possible to pass a javascript value from one page to another but I thought I would put it out there as something I am going to try. I love aperture for key-wording all my photos but I have 10K plus that I uploaded before using aperture that need keywords.

And to directly answer
    Aperture and lightroom both are amazing for keywording and captioning your images. I love how easy it is in Aperture and wish I had been using it for the past year not just the past 2 months.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
    Tobias

Tobias:
    I'm not techie enough to completely understand your Javascript idea, but I think I get the essence of it...being able to select and apply the most commonly used keywords from a custom set (different for each user) would speed up the workflow for sure, and would obviously be a good thing.

I suspect you got the idea from Aperture's use of customizable keyword (individual and/or group) buttons. It looks like a really cool feature.

Two downsides for using Aperture from my perspective...
    #1) it's another $199 software package to add to my growing list and investment in paid-for photo editors* to accomplish what is already integrated (but not quite as powerfully) in SmugMug.
    #2) it appears to only be compatible with Macs, and I have a PC.

*Acquiring photo editing software is as frustrating as buying insurance...it seems like each offering has one or two "gotta-have" features mixed in with a bunch of ho-hum features that EVERYBODY has. In order to get all the best features, it looks like I'd have to buy a half-dozen cheapo packages or spend some big dough on one or two mega packages (Aperture at $199, Lightroom at $299, CS3 at $650, etc) loaded with features I'll never use.:bluduh
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    papajay wrote:
    #2) it appears to only be compatible with Macs, and I have a PC.

Use LR, you won't regret it. It's Windows (or Mac) yes, Aperture is an Apple Product and only for Apples :)

I use LR every day. Rather powerful. And for you, keywording, it's da bomb.

Papa, have you ever used Picasa? Free. Powerful.
    edited February 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Use LR, you won't regret it. It's Windows (or Mac) yes, Aperture is an Apple Product and only for Apples :)

I use LR every day. Rather powerful. And for you, keywording, it's da bomb.

Papa, have you ever used Picasa? Free. Powerful.

Thanks Andy:
    "Free is good" (or is it ..."You get what you pay for???") :D No I haven't tried Picassa. Perhaps I should....but I do get a bit weary trying this, trying that...getting used to this, then having to learn that, ulitmately going back to this because that turned out to be harder to use, or not as good as this...and, well...you get the idea.

I may have to bite the bullet, though, on Lightroom. thumb.gif It keeps coming up in these forums, and I don't recall ever hearing anything negative about it. I recently got a copy of Elements with the purcahse of my new camera, so I'm still in the learning phase with yet another "that" photo editor package.umph.gif