True Color vs. Auto Color: Landscapes/Nature Pics

aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited January 19, 2008 in SmugMug Support
So I'm planning on printing a few pictures of landscapes to show for sale at a local cafe. I'm not sure if I should use True Color or Auto Color. From reading the SmugMug documentation/help it seems like Auto Color is best for correcting skin tones and that sort of thing. Will it help my landscapes as well? :scratch (I've also got a few pictures of starfish and whatnot...)

I should say that I've fiddled with the pictures in Aperture a bit, turning up saturation and some basic things like that.

Any insight is much appreciated!

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    So I'm planning on printing a few pictures of landscapes to show for sale at a local cafe. I'm not sure if I should use True Color or Auto Color. From reading the SmugMug documentation/help it seems like Auto Color is best for correcting skin tones and that sort of thing. Will it help my landscapes as well? headscratch.gif (I've also got a few pictures of starfish and whatnot...)

I should say that I've fiddled with the pictures in Aperture a bit, turning up saturation and some basic things like that.

Any insight is much appreciated!
    Auto color is usually best, however if you have the time and skills to correct the photos perfectly for printing 'true' may be best. This is regardless from the subject that you have photographed. If you can give us a few links to some of the photos that you would like to print, I'll make sure one of our print-experts will have a look and let you know what's best. Sound good? ear.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    You can use True on these, be sure you apply a bit of sharpening in Aperture as well.

thumb.gif
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    You can use True on these, be sure you apply a bit of sharpening in Aperture as well.

thumb.gif

Thanks Andy, I will make sure and do that...once I figure out how. bowdown.gif

edit: Just for my information, what exactly is the difference when applied to landscape/nature pictures vs. portraits? And, if I ordered both, how much of a difference would I see? (My monitor's not calibrated or anything...)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Thanks Andy, I will make sure and do that...once I figure out how. bowdown.gif

edit: Just for my information, what exactly is the difference when applied to landscape/nature pictures vs. portraits? And, if I ordered both, how much of a difference would I see? (My monitor's not calibrated or anything...)
    Post in finishing school, you'll get lots of great help :)

In general, portraits (save for the eyes) get less sharpening than landscapes. Soft skin!
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Post in finishing school, you'll get lots of great help :)

In general, portraits (save for the eyes) get less sharpening than landscapes. Soft skin!

Sorry, I think I was unclear. What is the difference between true and autocolor with respect to landscape/nature photos? What does autocolor "correct" in landscape pictures?ne_nau.gif