Options

Snapshots from the Riviera Maya

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited February 2, 2008 in Journeys
We took a one week vacation to the Riviera Maya the week of New Years. I bought an Oly 790 as a P&S that is water tight and kid friendly. I also only brought the 20d plus the 24 - 105 and 70 - 200. Turns out I did not really need the 70 - 200 either. I didn't use the Canon much at all. Anyway, here are a few snapshots....I am trying to make an effort to get candid people shots more often.

New Years Eve - the kids all dolled up:
244579484-M.jpg
My nephew, blue shirt, was with us this trip.

I had the 580 flash with me too - one of my goals this winter is to learn how to use it well. Not there yet.
244583082-M.jpg
The all inclusive that we stayed at threw a great party for NYE - all inclusive means all drinks that night too. :huh Warning to any macho dads out there - do not try to keep up with a pair of 17 yr olds when you haven't partied like that in decades!
244585568-M.jpg
Fireworks to bring in the new year
244639135-M.jpg

We had really poor weather a couple of days, so on the first we went into the town of Akumal for fish tacos:
244574854-M.jpg

Plates got licked clean long before I thought to take a photo. They were superb.

And we visited Xel Ha Lagoon for tubing, kayaking and snorkelling:
244576046-M.jpg
244576293-M.jpg
244640708-M.jpg

The Riviera Maya has in land sink holes called cenotes. The ones at Xel Ha are lovely and I really want to go back to this part of the world and explore it thoroughly.
244584671-M.jpg
There are containers of fish food for the visitors to throw on the water, and these gorgeous yellow birds will come along and pick the food off the water too. Probably not the best ecological thing but they are really beautiful to watch
244640124-M.jpg

The sun shone on our last three days, and so we spent it unwinding by/in the pool:
244576859-M.jpg
244576622-M.jpg

And a redo of a favorite shot from three years ago:
244577388-M.jpg

I love the caribbean sea and was left wanting to return to this part of it, with more time, better weather and fewer kids. :wink
Not much of a journey this time, but some good family memories.

ann

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited January 23, 2008
    Very nice family vacation! And warm too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    We took a one week vacation to the Riviera Maya the week of New Years. I bought an Oly 790 as a P&S that is water tight and kid friendly. I also only brought the 20d plus the 24 - 105 and 70 - 200. Turns out I did not really need the 70 - 200 either. I didn't use the Canon much at all. Anyway, here are a few snapshots....I am trying to make an effort to get candid people shots more often.
    New Years Eve - the kids all dolled up:
    My nephew, blue shirt, was with us this trip.
    I had the 580 flash with me too - one of my goals this winter is to learn how to use it well. Not there yet.
    The all inclusive that we stayed at threw a great party for NYE - all inclusive means all drinks that night too. eek7.gif Warning to any macho dads out there - do not try to keep up with a pair of 17 yr olds when you haven't partied like that in decades!
    Fireworks to bring in the new year
    We had really poor weather a couple of days, so on the first we went into the town of Akumal for fish tacos:
    Plates got licked clean long before I thought to take a photo. They were superb.
    And we visited Xel Ha Lagoon for tubing, kayaking and snorkelling:
    The Riviera Maya has in land sink holes called cenotes. The ones at Xel Ha are lovely and I really want to go back to this part of the world and explore it thoroughly.
    There are containers of fish food for the visitors to throw on the water, and these gorgeous yellow birds will come along and pick the food off the water too. Probably not the best ecological thing but they are really beautiful to watch
    The sun shone on our last three days, and so we spent it unwinding by/in the pool:
    And a redo of a favorite shot from three years ago:
    I love the caribbean sea and was left wanting to return to this part of it, with more time, better weather and fewer kids. mwink.gif
    Not much of a journey this time, but some good family memories.
    ann

You mean Darryl didn't cook ??? and he's such a good cook too :D
    No sign of any Pirates by any chance was there ???
    Glad you got to spend some good quality time with your family,
    and not have to cook or makes beds etc.

The snorkel looks fun, as do the lads rowing.

Thanks for sharing Ann....... see you in UTAH or before thumb.gif
    ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    The only thread I've seen from you lately is the "I hate winter" thread, but I was kind of waiting around for your warm weather trip photos. Clearly I totally missed this thread (until now).

Yes, this look far better than the trip to photograph skagit river eagles that you skipped out on!!!
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Very nice family vacation! And warm too.

Yes, warm..... what I wouldn't do for warm now. Thanks, Ian, for stopping by.

ann
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    You mean Darryl didn't cook ??? and he's such a good cook too :D
    No sign of any Pirates by any chance was there ???
    Glad you got to spend some good quality time with your family,
    and not have to cook or makes beds etc.

The snorkel looks fun, as do the lads rowing.

Thanks for sharing Ann....... see you in UTAH or before thumb.gif
    ... Skippy :D

Hmm that's funny - the food was mediocre, and so we talk about next vacation being at a condo where he can cook or at a 'cooking' resort or cruise! We'd have the best of all worlds if we had warm water, beautiful scenery to photograph and he could have cooking lessons too!

Utah is fast approaching, isn't it? Are you planning to spend several weeks in NA again? You have an open invite to visit here, you know!

ann
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    The only thread I've seen from you lately is the "I hate winter" thread, but I was kind of waiting around for your warm weather trip photos. Clearly I totally missed this thread (until now).

Yes, this look far better than the trip to photograph skagit river eagles that you skipped out on!!!

Hi Andrew! I haven't seen your Scaggit River Eagles - did I miss them?

I do hate winter. This week, I was actually happy when my nostrils didn't freeze together on leaving the building. The temps rose 20C, all the way to -20C! Positively balmy.

I am not shooting at all these days, well except for the dash of my car last week to show the outside temp!rolleyes1.gif

ann
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    The skagit river shots got posted here. You were far better off going to Riviera Maya!

Sure winter sucks, but I'm sure you don't have time to go out and shoot because your so busy processing all your Riviera Maya pics on the new mac :D
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange