Reflection from the past

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited January 22, 2008 in Landscapes
Here is one from Bodie. I have been working my B&W images. There are soo many ways to convert color to B&W, and different papers, setting etc. to maximize the image. No I don't the best way. :D

Sam

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Pretty cool Sam
    A thought came to mind (a monumental event for sure!)...I like your conversion but what if for the heck of it you made a duplicate layer with either "overlay" or Multiply and brushed in the reflection to give it some pop....then adjust opacity to taste......

I guess my eye is wanting just a bit more pop or contrast as the scene is neat but a bit flat overall?????

Bodie you say? would love to see more! thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Yes I see what yo mean about being a little flat. I tried your suggestion. What are your thoughts here?

Sam
    edited January 19, 2008
    Swartzy,

Here are a few more from Bodie.

Sam
    edited January 19, 2008
    edited January 19, 2008
    This truck is in better shape.

Sam
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Nice shot of the view thru the car window.
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Swartzy,

Here are a few more from Bodie.

Sam

Love the shot through the car window. The PP on the first one is an improvement IMO. Awesome. clap.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Sam - Fantastic shots!! I'd love to visit this place sometime. I love the two b/w shots in particular. The shot through the car window is bowdown.gif

A great take on the scene!
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Great stuff Sam, I love that place
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    For BW, one option is to convert using a gradient map. Then add a color balance layer. Put the gradient layer on top and use the sliders in the color balance to adjust the midtones, shadows and highlights for more control over tones. One step further on the gradient conversion is that I often change my numbers in LAB on the color picker to select the tone that I want.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Yes Sam!
    The edited version of the first one is better. I like the through the back window shot too..way cool. The fourth one (I suppose in my mind) would look rockin in a dramatic b&w conversion as well....especially with the homes up on the mountain side. Cool beans!

Here I simply did a couple things to make the scene through the window more prevalent, darkening the truck a bit and giving it some pop...hope you don't mind.

Original
    245866589-L.jpg

A bit darker
    245866581-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Sam, nice shots of Bodie! I like your different perspective in these shots, that place has been shot so much that the beauty of the place gets lost in all the repitition. Nice work!
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
    edited January 21, 2008
    Swartzy,

I don't mind at all. I have been thinking about tweaking it a little. Based on my monitor, I think about half way between what I posted, and your adjustment would print out well.

Sam
    edited January 21, 2008
    OrvSal wrote:
    Sam, nice shots of Bodie! I like your different perspective in these shots, that place has been shot so much that the beauty of the place gets lost in all the repetition. Nice work!

Thanks,

Viewing the world differently has never been one of my problems, but capturing it is a horse of a different color.

I believe it's a real challenge when going to a well known famous location, like Yosemite, or Bodie to come away with an image that exemplifies the location, yet is new and fresh.

Most of us have 35 mm type DLSR's. While we can not compete heads up with large format films ability to capture vast vistas, with great detail, we can I think by being creative, and staying within the technical limits of our equipment produce new visions of the old, and familiar.

Sam
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    I've always wanted to go to Bodie!!!! Great series.