Texting

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited January 26, 2008 in People
I am trying to get a good shot of my son, but he never puts down the texting phone long enough to get one. Then, I realized that it is the best shot of him!

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    lol, I like the concept, but it feels a bit snap-shotty, I think it may be the lighting, reflecting so brightly off of the white t-shirt making it feel like direct flash...

Not sure though, I've not got much experience with studio work, maybe someone who knows more will come along...

Good luck!
    Ben
  • Little TLittle T Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I dont know a whole lot but it looks like there isnt enough hair light/ background to serperate him nicely from the background. I may be wrong though but there is a shadow behind him.
    http://jtrankler.smugmug.com
    jtrankler@gmail.com
    Canon 60D
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Canon 70-200 F4 L IS
  • PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I'm no pro with portraits, but I would recommend having him take step forward just so you can get a blurrier background.

Side lighting is always more dramatic. Your light looks really straight on. Try some 45° angles and make sure it's diffused light to avoid shadows.

As far as the sbject himself, does he have to wear white? Is that something that really says who he is? Maybe he can wear something a little more neutral or darker; something the reflects less light.

I would also have him turn a little to one side or lean against something, it would look just a little less "set up."

That's all just my opinions my experiences.
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Try to not get so much light on your background, it just ends up washing it out.
    His body position doesn't seem all that interesting.. perhaps with some interesting lighting it may work.. ie: monster lighting or butterfly -type lighting. Also the cropping I'm not a big fan of.. From his tummy up it's not so bad, but being able to see his bare legs (maybe I'd feel differently if he were wearing pants, not shorts) really isn't doing much for me. Plus you wouldn't see the creases in the background on the floor.

Would you put a photograph of your son up on the wall of him texting? I'm thinking probably not; keep trying to get a "regular"" portrait.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Title of that shot should be "Today's Youth" rolleyes1.gif I don't think I see a teenager around without the texting going on.
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11