Local college hockey

Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
edited January 25, 2008 in Sports
This was my first time shooting hockey. I wish I would have used my SB600 to fill the faces with some light but I feel these turned out okay. ISO's were H.3-H.7 on my D200. Access wasn't as good as I was hoping. I had to shoot over the glass and from up on second floor looking down on the game. C&C is more than welcome. I know I can improve these a lot.

DSC_0051small.jpg
DSC_0054small.jpg
DSC_0064small.jpg
DSC_0097small.jpg
DSC_0120small.jpg
DSC_0182small.jpg
DSC_0217small.jpg
DSC_0234small.jpg
DSC_0288small.jpg

There was some pushing and yelling going on.
DSC_0308small.jpg
DSC_0344small.jpg

Game ended in regulation in a 5-5 tie. A shoot out was deemed.
DSC_0415small.jpg
DSC_0447small.jpg

The Yellow/Black team was the only team to score in the shootout, resulting in the 6-5 score.

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Matt,

How much did you crop these? You've got tight framing on most but there's a lack of detail which usually comes from over cropping.

Additionally the two shots with faces (3&5) the faces look very orange. Did you do color correction in PP or were the shots underexposed and corrected in PP?

I think you did OK but the overcropping really hurt. It's a sad fact of sports shooting - you gotta be close to the action. Did you try shooting through the glass? Less shot selection but better chance of your 200mm lens having enough reach.
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Thanks for the help. I had to crop them quite a bit as most of the shots were from up on second floor (pretty much the rafters). I did get a few of them from standing on a stool and shooting over the glass.

I did try shooting through the glass and was not happy with how they looked. I also was not zoomed in as much as I could have been on most because I was having a hard time trying to keep up with the puck. I will see if I can get in the bench area next time. Thanks for the advice!

Matt
  • sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Matt, nice work.

Hockey is a tough shoot, from the stands, thru the glass probably impossible.
    If you are directly behind the glass, I mean touching it, then the glass will probably not degrade the images very much. From far away the glass is not your friend, as your camera will try and focus on the glass, especially if there is any reflection. Get closer to the glass if you can, forget the puck, follow the players, they are easier.

Hockey is great fun to shoot.

http://sportsshooter.smugmug.com/Sports/443284; go here