Anyone heard of "BritghtScreens"

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited January 22, 2008 in Cameras
I was surfing and came across a site offering Nikon D3 w/ BrightScreen installed. What is it? What does it do? Why would I want one? Does it replace a Nikon part? Warrenty?

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    I was surfing and came across a site offering Nikon D3 w/ BrightScreen installed. What is it? What does it do? Why would I want one? Does it replace a Nikon part? Warrenty?

http://ultimateimagingproductdirectory.com/company.php?id=62783&company=Brightscreen

Google search took about 10 seconds
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Ya, I did that too. I'm looking for some 1st hand experience.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Ya, I did that too. I'm looking for some 1st hand experience.
    OK but your first post did not make that clear :)
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    you got me there
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Having mental telepathy to read the posters mind of what they didn't type but still want to know the answers too is vital for interweb forum usage. thumb.gif

Basicly he's asking aboot Brightscreen which is similar to the older and now defunct Beattie Intenscreens if you're old school. It's just a simple drop in replacement screen for high eyepoint cameras and medium format cameras that increase viewfinder brightness by maybe 2 to 3 stops. They also come with different crop/grind patterns for different types of photography.

==> http://www.brightscreen.com/enter.html

I've looked thru some 645s and 6x6 with Beattie screens and they did amazing things for indoor wedding photography with a MF lens but now with AF lens and zillion point AF systems and AF assist lights I think the cost and need of a Brightscreen is an unessecarry waist. But that's just my own opinion.

:devbobo
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    My opinion is a bit different. Though, my gear isa bit different. I'm using a 20D with a KatzEye screen. I find it quite worthwhile. The viewfinder is a bit brighter, but more importantly to me, I have the old-school split-prism and microprism ring back. I didn't know how much I had missed those until I got them back. It does two things for me: 1) a second opinion on the AF, and 2) allows more accurate MF when I need it. IMHO the Brightscreens are overpriced.
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    claudermilk I've always found it more helpful to include a link when referencing other products or sites for the ease of others.

==> Katz Eye Optics

thumb.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 21, 2008
    My opinion is a bit different. Though, my gear isa bit different. I'm using a 20D with a KatzEye screen. I find it quite worthwhile. The viewfinder is a bit brighter, but more importantly to me, I have the old-school split-prism and microprism ring back. I didn't know how much I had missed those until I got them back. It does two things for me: 1) a second opinion on the AF, and 2) allows more accurate MF when I need it. IMHO the Brightscreens are overpriced.

Chris, does the Katz Eye split image viewfinder screen interfere with the light meter in any way? Does it diminish the Evaluative Metering or prevent it from working properly?

I seem to recall that the OEM split screen for the 1D series defeats Evaluative Metering I believe.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    The Katz Eye screens do impact TTL metering. It can be worked around with exposure compensation, and is most prevalent when using the more focused metering modes, like spot. I have no first-hand experience, this is all based on info on their website. I'm planning on getting one for my 40D.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    It depends on the body. On the Rebels, yes, it affects the metering (by about 1/3 stop IIRC, check their site). On the 20D I have seen zero effect--even when using center-weighted metering. For Nikon bodies, I have no idea. Best bet is to check their site.

Re: adding links: if it's hard to find, I'll provide one. I figured we all know how to use Google, as has been proven. thumb.gif