Langdale Pikes

martin-imagesmartin-images Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited January 25, 2008 in Landscapes
A view to the Pikes from Wrynose Pass pass, Cumbria
Martin

245288409-O.jpg
Workshops, learn the art of monochrome conversion using my contrast grading method

http://martinimages.photium.com/page3018.html

Contrast Grading CD
http://martinimages.photium.com/otheritems.html

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Beautiful !
    thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    I like this a lot. The composition, the tones and textures are all great!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Martin,

I know you post relatively rarely but I always look forward to seeing your work. You have a way of making black and white say so much more than most shots I've seen in color. clap.gif

Beautiful image thumb.gif
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Nice.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Stunning Shot! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    In many ways a very beautiful image - thanks for showing, Martin. It's because it contains so much that is good that it disappoints me somewhat. It seems to me that you were faced with certain choices and *maybe* - forgive my presumptuousness - lost something in trying to gain something else. I sympathise!

Obviously the intended subject is the central mass. You have revealed its dramatic qualities. Yet it is shelved back into a set with two other competing masses, all lined up in a flatish plane and locked together in stepwise fashion.

The result is that the real subject, although beautifully presented by your wonderful B&W work, is reduced to one in a series of three subjects. The nearer one, with its fringe of soft trees on top, which relatively should not have such power, even screens, and so upstages, the central one. To add insult to injury, the third mass dominates the central one in height, which is further subjugated by the large proportion of cloudy sky bearing down on it.

The power, and consequently the beauty, of the subject which you are sensitive to and want us to see are for me diminished in spite of your efforts to display them.

A great pleasure to look at this image, nevertheless. You have a great location for finding treasures like this. thumb.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • martin-imagesmartin-images Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    In many ways a very beautiful image - thanks for showing, Martin. It's because it contains so much that is good that it disappoints me somewhat. It seems to me that you were faced with certain choices and *maybe* - forgive my presumptuousness - lost something in trying to gain something else. I sympathise!

Obviously the intended subject is the central mass. You have revealed its dramatic qualities. Yet it is shelved back into a set with two other competing masses, all lined up in a flatish plane and locked together in stepwise fashion.

The result is that the real subject, although beautifully presented by your wonderful B&W work, is reduced to one in a series of three subjects. The nearer one, with its fringe of soft trees on top, which relatively should not have such power, even screens, and so upstages, the central one. To add insult to injury, the third mass dominates the central one in height, which is further subjugated by the large proportion of cloudy sky bearing down on it.

The power, and consequently the beauty, of the subject which you are sensitive to and want us to see are for me diminished in spite of your efforts to display them.

A great pleasure to look at this image, nevertheless. You have a great location for finding treasures like this. thumb.gif

Pardon could you explain in more detail :-)

Thanks

Martin
    Workshops, learn the art of monochrome conversion using my contrast grading method

http://martinimages.photium.com/page3018.html

Contrast Grading CD
    http://martinimages.photium.com/otheritems.html
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    I really like the image! Your BW-conversions are very nice!

(been reading up on your learning zone now! Lots to learn.. :) Thanks!)
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    NeilL wrote:

I'm always amazed by the differing opinions people havene_nau.gif Different strokes! I struggle to find anything wrong with this picture... beautiful scene, gorgeous shot clap.gif