Options

Noisewave question

PhilmarPhilmar Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited January 21, 2008 in Finishing School
I just started using Noisewave and I see a big improvement in my photos. what scares me is when I use the filter (default) I notice the overall file size decreases a ton...like 4 M to 1.5 M. Why is this happening?? Am I doing something wrong???? What will this do to the overall quality of the photos.

Thanks
Phil

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,901 moderator
    edited January 20, 2008
    Philmar wrote:
    I just started using Noisewave and I see a big improvement in my photos. what scares me is when I use the filter (default) I notice the overall file size decreases a ton...like 4 M to 1.5 M. Why is this happening?? Am I doing something wrong???? What will this do to the overall quality of the photos.

Thanks
    Philheadscratch.gif

Phil,

Welcome to the Digital Grin!

I am not familiar with "Noisewave". Could it be "Noiseware"?

Regardless, noise reduction has a smoothing capability which makes it easier for file compressors like JPG to produce smaller files. If you think about random noise like detail, when you run a noise reduction software it should reduce that sort of random detail, because it is unnecessary.

Unfortunately, all noise reduction software may also reduce image detail as well, so noise reduction typically has controls to allow you to vary the type of noise reduction, stressing color noise over luminance noise, for instance.

If the noise reduction software has settings for the amount of JPG compression, use the least amount of compression allowed for best results.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    PhilmarPhilmar Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Thanks Ziggy, you are correct its Noiseware I am talking about.
    Phil
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Perhaps you're doing something I generally recommend with Noiseware and applying this on a layer? That WOULD increase file size.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Actually he's saying file size is REDUCING from 4MB to 1.5MB. This freaked me out at first until I realized what was going on. You are not doing anything wrong. Think about how the JPEG compression works, using noise reduction eliminates the noise and allows more efficient compression as the noise is gone.
  • Options
    Juergen DJuergen D Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 21, 2008
    Also, Phil, if you are using the Demo version, it saves files in JPEG at 90% quality. That setting can not be changed, unless you purchase.

Juergen