Options

A loop of New Zealand's South Island

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited February 4, 2008 in Journeys
What a trip!

From the time I was old enough to wonder about riding further than the next dirt trail or mud pit, I have wanted to ride a motorbike in New Zealand. Trips across the US and even a tour of Europe came and went, but NZ (pronounced "unzud") was always a bit too far away... until now! It was just a short hop across the Tasman Sea!

First and foremost this was a riding trip, but with the Mrs and I both toting cameras (she had our Canon A710IS and used it constantly from the back seat of the bike) over 8 days and about 4gb, we were bound to end up with a few decent shots. Bear with the snapshots as I give you the tour, and I promise at least one or two photos with some merit besides gorgeous NZ scenery.

Day 1: Christchurch

Welcome to Christchurch, the biggest city on the South Island. We didn't have a lot of time to really take it in, riding, not city-walking was the aim of this trip. But we did spend an afternoon walking around, just a little bit.

244926142-L.jpg

This unexpected sight set the tone for the trip... all of sudden, we were in Venice! :D

244979716-M.jpg

...scenery can change just like that in NZ. You can be in a rainforest one minute, and in the hills of an alpine forest the next.

The b&b we stayed in was gorgeous, featuring a very old and very ornate central wooden staircase that several rich folks have offered to buy. Tough light, but you get the idea.

245061155-M.jpg

There were more rose bushes than we could count as well.

244900413-M.jpg
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    'eh cuzzy bro thumb.gif

Nice colour.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2008
    Day 2: north to Kaikoura
    Heading out of Christchurch, after battling through a little bit of sprawl, it didn't take long to reach the open country, for our first brush with the most numerous of NZ inhabitants...

244996575-M.jpg

The view from the cockpit

245035151-M.jpg244970346-M.jpg

Instead of hugging the coast all the way to Kaikoura, we decided to go a bit inland and see if we could make it to the beginning of the Southern Alps, place called Hamner Springs (we turned back to the coast just short, as it turned out to be a suprisingly chilly day, but got a flavor nonetheless). The rolling hills and tussock grass, like this quickly gave way to some real hills in the distance.

244939443-M.jpg

A rogue sheep decided he wanted to race lol3.gif

244924892-M.jpg

We wound over the hills and ended up back at the coast for a proper look at the South Pacific Ocean. The South Island is known for dramatic and rocky coastlines with big surf. Definitely not the sand and sun of Queensland!

244900596-M.jpg

Your fearless author wave.gif

245007334-M.jpg

We arrived at Kaikoura and spotted our lodging, but it was early enough to keep going out to the tip of the peninsula where there is a very nice walkway and seal colony.

244897809-M.jpg

244896725-M.jpg

245036846-M.jpg

MrsIt stalking a fur seal

244974047-M.jpg
    244971486-S.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 20, 2008
    Day 3: rounding the corner to Nelson
    After a cloudy start the day before, we woke up to a perfect day. The mountains that were hidden in the mist the day before were now showing off

244982464-M.jpg

After lots more gorgeous coastline, we headed inland to the Marlborough valley, New Zealands largest wine producing region. The lush green and rocky coast gave way to a slightly more arid and smoothly rolling countryside.

245053306-M.jpg

We rolled into Picton to round the corner for the west along the many sounds in the fingered northeastern corner coastline of the south island. Picton is the destination of the ferries from the North Island, so although small, it's a pretty hoppin' little port town.

244939786-S.jpg
    244923003-M.jpg
    244936540-L.jpg

And then a riding treat - the Queen Charlotte Road, also known as the Grove Track. A solid 30km of some of the most picturesque tightly winding road I've ever had the chance to ride.

244920713-M.jpg

244931627-M.jpg

My eyes are pretty knackered from processing these all weekend - I'll pick it up tomorrow thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    New Zealand ... my next destination after I can afford to go to Scotland!!

How far is the travel from Oz to New Zealand? It definitely looks like a fun place to visit! thumb.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    New Zealand ... my next destination after I can afford to go to Scotland!!

How far is the travel from Oz to New Zealand? It definitely looks like a fun place to visit! thumb.gif
    Don't bother with Scotland, I'm sure there's a corner of NZ that looks just like Scotland nod.gif

It's just a short hop over the Tasman Sea from Brisbane, 3 hours.

Sorry I haven't finished this yet... been busy with the LPS at the moment. The best is yet to come, I'll get to it soon.
    nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Doc, can't wait to see the rest! I've always wanted to visit NZ since they have zorbing and tons of sheep lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    when is the best time to visit NZ?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    when is the best time to visit NZ?
    Depends on what you like. It is a winter wonderland (remember, southern hemisphere, so you're summer) and residence for all the top ski teams in the world during the norther summer. Just now was the height of summer and although warm enough to swim and enjoy the water, it doesn't have the brutal heat of Brisbane, where I'm living atm. So what do you like? skiing, mountaineering, ice climbing OR bike riding, climbing, fly fishing? I'll take all of the above.

And yeah, I know I'm slacking, but I finished off the LPS judging last night, so hopefully tonight after work I can get back into it.
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Doc, can't wait to see the rest! I've always wanted to visit NZ since they have zorbing and tons of sheep lol3.gif
    Zorbing THROUGH sheep!!! ha!
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 25, 2008
    Day 4: Cutting the other corner to the west coast
    We left Nelson very excited to see the west coast today. Essentially cut off from the majority of the island by the Southern Alps, it's a wild and beautiful region. I was told by one of our innkeepers that the entire region is home to only 30,000 (or the number of students at a typical state college in the US) - in a place at least as big, as, perhaps, the state of Maine.

But we had some things to see on the way...

We joked that the first part of the trip was like being back at home, and that any minute we'd see the Vermont/Massachusetts border. Rolling hills, streams, and a mix of deciduous and coniferous trees.

244976924-L.jpg244901491-S.jpg

Soon after we descending into the Buller river/gorge region, and things started to change. Still mountainous, but the greenery became more tropical. The river was the kind of glacial turquoise blue that was beginning to be the norm around this island. And roads were carved directly into the mountains.

244930597-M.jpg

The mountains started to flatten out just a little bit, and bang, there we were at Cape Foulwind, a tiny little coastal town out on the northern tip of the west coast.

244987924-M.jpg

Which way do we go?

245021342-M.jpg

245059261-M.jpg

We continued on down the coast and were treated to some more treats (despite the increasing clouds...) Like this little cove near Punakaiki

245048428-L.jpg

Hello down there!
    245004902-M.jpg

Not a great photo, shot from the back of the bike over my helmet, but really gives you an idea of what the riding was like along this beautiful shoreline. Did I mention the increasing clouds making it so white and flatly lit?...

244987204-M.jpg

Well, it couldn't last in total perfection, could it? Rain gear on, tuck in behind the bike's excellent wind screen and fairing and blast through the downpour to our next stop (luckily, we had made all the suggested stops for the day anyway).
    Erik

• Options
    ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Looks like a great ride! Thanks for sharing :)

(Looks almost like home in the norwegian highlands, sheep everywhere.. :P )
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2008
    Day 5: Rainforests and glaciers
    Today was one that I was looking forward to for the entire trip. We only had about 150km to ride, but along the way, the chance to stop and see 2 glaciers. I might be a bit off here, but I think there are only two places in the world where glaciers come down from snow-capped peaks into a rainforest - New Zealand and Argentina.

But first we had to make ourselves out of the metropolis of Hokitika. It was crazy, there was traffic everywhere...

244997980-M.jpg

Wait, I think that's a tumbleweed over there :D

244921893-M.jpg

We're really in the jungle now.

245000021-M.jpg

We made it to the little township of Franz Jozef glacier well before lunch. After a quick stop at the visitor center to check the walking tracks (they often close because of the ever-changing nature of the glacier) we headed a short way down an unsealed access road and got our first glimpse of the ice.

245054203-M.jpg

But to get to the glacier, we first had to hike through the jungle. I'm not exaggerating, it really is the jungle. It's (pretty) hot, very steamy, and very very green.

244899935-M.jpg

244989497-M.jpg

And across a rather "springy" suspension bridge (MrsIt wasn't really a big fan)

244994064-M.jpg

244898850-M.jpg

I wish I had taken more time to get a few of these photos, but the urge to get to the glacier and enjoy the hike won out. The water in this river was like a turquoise tinged milk. They call it "glacial flour".

Low lying misty clouds look really magical, but when they're pretty thin and the sun is rather blaring above them - it's REALLY hard to get well exposed photos. Where's my 1DmkXXXIV with 17 stops of dynamic range? Ah well, squint a bit and imagine you're there.

245006053-L.jpg

Glaciers are dangerous (and yes, it's fully raining by now).

244906100-M.jpg

quick grab with the pocket cam before we scurried back under the rainforest canopy.

244999726-M.jpg

I didn't need to go to New Zealand to get a shot like this, but whatever, still one of my favorite shots of the trip:

244991370-L.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 25, 2008
    Day 5: (part II) Fox Glacier
    After a thoroughly awesome tramp to the Franz Jozef glacier, we hopped back on the bike and zoomed down to Fox Glacier, the next town south.

The path carved by this glacier is a little steeper on the sides, so there was less rainforest to walk through. Instead, the scenery was more moon-like

244915522-M.jpg

More danger, remember, this is a moving river of ice!

245030600-M.jpg

Maybe not a rainforest, but still covered in green

244997533-L.jpg

Jagged ice rising up ahead.

244972175-M.jpg

244990318-M.jpg

What an awesome day. :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 25, 2008
    Day 6: Paying our west coast dues
    Let's just set the scene for today. 5 minutes from our lodge that morning was one of the most photographed views in New Zealand - the reflection of Mt Cook and Mt Tasman in Lake Atheson...

245041572-M.jpg

Gray, windy, ripply water... oh well. We have a long ride ahead of us down the rest of the west coast, then turning inland for the Otago valley and lakes region.

that's where a photo would go if our cameras were waterproof. It poured. All morning and afternoon. Poured. Rain, hard.

But it was still a beautiful ride. The rest of the rainforest coast was green as ever, and we were treated to more stunning glacial rivers, rapids and ravines as we crossed the bottom end of the Southern Alps to enter the Otago valley. Waterfalls, you name it, we saw it. Another day of emerging from a rainforest and within minutes being in the Austrian alps. Just mindboggling.

Through the mist, we began to see some big beautiful turqoise lakes. Lake Hawea was just beautiful, even in the rain.

244917486-M.jpg

The mountains here just fall into these amazing blue lakes. These photos really do it no justice, at all. We arrived wet and cold in Wanaka, but we did get a few minutes of gaps in the rain to gaze at both lakes Hawea and Wanaka towards the end.
    Erik

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    DoctorIT wrote:
    244931627-S.jpg
    thumb.gif Nice stuff Doc, enjoying tagging along -
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    thumb.gif Nice stuff Doc, enjoying tagging along -
    Thanks DJ wave.gif
    Erik

• Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Thanks for the tour Doc! NZ is high on our Let's Go list...hopefully very soon.
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2008
    Day 7: Short distance, big sights
    When we first got our itinerary from the tour guide, I wondered why the distance between our lodging these two days was only 75 or so kilometers apart. Before we even left Wanaka this morning, I knew why, because we were in utopia/heaven/valhalla/whatever-you-subscribe-to. I've now claimed this to several people and I will claim it again, I could throw away a decade of going to school and work here as a ski instructor/beach bum without any regrets. It's just that beautiful.

Again, photos do it no justice because (a) it's just too beautiful and (b) I definitely left any semblance of photo skills at home on this trip.

Sunrise over Wanaka (as you can see, the weather made a complete reversal from pouring rain to crystal clear blue skies - and today it would stay like this :D)

244901757-M.jpg

Yes, that's a snowcapped peak back there. In winter nearly all these peaks are accessible for heli or backcountry skiing. And on a sidenote, this region is famous for having seasons, 4 of them, with fall foliage!

244902036-M.jpg

This one gives you a bit of an idea at the amazing shade of bright blue that all these lakes seem to have.

245040458-M.jpg

Anyone for some water-skiing?

245045823-M.jpg

We waved goodby to Wanaka and headed south for Queenstown via the Crown Range road, the highest sealed and regularly driven road in New Zealand. The view from the lookout

245066703-M.jpg

And this was perhaps the saddest thing we saw on the whole trip - why? why would someone do this? ne_nau.gif Regardless you can read for yourself that we have topped out at about 1000m (3280ft). I've been higher in the alpine peaks of Europe, but it was still a pretty nice view down the pass to Queenstown.

244981949-M.jpg

I like twisty roads :D

244911432-M.jpg

At the bottom of the Crown Range road we were just a short distance away from Queenstown, which gave us lots of time to go east instead of west and have a look at the Kuwarau river/gorge, and the famous Kuwarau gorge bridge.

245022731-M.jpg

If you've ever wondered how you finish a bungee jump (I have) you have to aim for this tiny little boat. :D

244961975-M.jpg

Fun to watch, but we opted out of this activity.

244949825-L.jpg

245039854-M.jpg

Time to turn around and head back for Queenstown. We made another slight detour from the main road so we could pass through Arrowtown, a slightly smaller town just northwest of Queenstown. This area (and much of the west) is famous for gold rush towns. Arrowtown is a bit of a tourist place that feeds on history. There were some nice historic houses there (small little things) and some relics/signs near the river. Don't get me wrong, great little shops and many beautiful options for a snack (we chose a bakery and had a traditional anzac lunch of meat pies mmmmmm), nice lunch stop but no photo juices were flowing.

Another stop on the way was a quick jaunt up the auto road to Coronet peak, a ski area by winter and downhill mountain bike park in summer.

244959255-L.jpg

We rode the rest of the way to Queenstown, parked the bike, stowed the camera and just enjoyed a very nice afternoon and evening strolling around the lakeshore town of Queenstown. It's a very vibrant city and common starting point for many adventurers. There are many multi-day treks around the area and the city is full of backpacker accomodations and gear stores. Not that the place is a "base camp", the marina also holds a good collection of yachts, including one of New Zealands retired America's Cup vessels (I love those boats). No visit to New Zealand south would be complete without a stop here.
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 25, 2008
    Day 8: across the moon to lofty peaks
    After our leisurely pace yesterday, we had some serious distance to cover today. It was time to say farewell to the west and start the trip back towards Christchurch. We had read and been told that today we'd be heading through some warmer and drier regions. In typical New Zealand, this was not at all subtle. From the lush green hills of the lakes region, we went over a small mountain pass and arrived on the surface of Mars.

245063702-M.jpg

The road in some parts stretched out straight as a runway for tens of kilometers.

245068372-M.jpg

But then after peaking over yet another of these martian ridges, there in distance, we were once again looking at the Southern Alps - this time the two highest peaks, covered in snow and crowned in glaciers. We turned off the main road and took the 50km detour (one-way) up the one and only access road to Mt Cook/Aoraki National Park.

245042667-M.jpg

What is there really to say?

245056821-L.jpg

The hills are alive...

244898622-M.jpg

I'd love to come back here for a week with climbing and trekking gear. Someday.

245015920-M.jpg

The long hot kilometers across the plains had added up and it was with much pleasure that we arrived at scenic Lake Tekapo. How 'bout a swim?

244990759-M.jpg

245035786-L.jpg

Perhaps one of the most refreshing swims of my life (yes, the water is freezing, remember where it comes from). And so the sun goes down on our last big sight-seeing day.

245087235-M.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 25, 2008
    Day 9: back to Christchurch
    Today was mostly a transit day back to Christchurch for a last sleep in NZ before catching a plane back to Oz the next morning. As we headed northeast, things began to get a little greener again and the hills rolled a little bit higher. We made a couple little stops and had a nice little picnic lunch by a river but spent most of our time reminiscing about the amazing sights we had seen. Not that this portion of the ride didn't have nice views, but we were pretty spoiled at this point. It also didn't help that the wind had a vendetta against us, at times I was leaned over to about 45 degrees on straight roads to compensate for the blowing, and the mercury was rising. The wind, which at first was strong, and highly annoying to a bike rider, was at least somewhat cooling. After lunch, it began to feel more like a fan-forced oven. As we entered the greater Christchurch metro region, the increased traffic and intersections made everything rather unpleasant. It wasn't the nicest last 50 kilometers for our trip, but we made it back to the same lovely bed&breakfast to enjoy our final evening.

Thanks NZ, we had an amazing trip! clap.gif

245034704-M.jpg

244962946-S.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Awe! Some!

I love this pic. It says a lot:

245015920-S.jpg

The geography and climate down there look... absolutely stunning. Giant moving rivers of ice next to steaming jungles. That's something out of a scifi novel.

Welcome home! For better or worse. And thanks for taking us with you two, of course. ;)
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Wow, looks like a great trip! I'm ... jealous.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Awe! Some!

The geography and climate down there look... absolutely stunning. Giant moving rivers of ice next to steaming jungles. That's something out of a scifi novel.

Welcome home! For better or worse. And thanks for taking us with you two, of course. ;)

One can almost imagine the Shrike coming after one? ;)
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Awe! Some!

I'll pass it on to MrsIt, it was obviously all her doing from the back seat. She tried for days to get a good mirror shot but the way the mirrors are mounted on low the bike we rented made it much harder for her than the bike we used to have bike home (handlebar mounted = higher).

The road back from Mt Cook really gave her a chance try though. When I dumped the files onto the puter, I think I had about 35 of them from those 50km alone, the mountain was a constant sight ahead/behind.
    Erik

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    What a trip!

From the time I was old enough to wonder about riding further than the next dirt trail or mud pit, I have wanted to ride a motorbike in New Zealand. Trips across the US and even a tour of Europe came and went, but NZ (pronounced "unzud") was always a bit too far away... until now! It was just a short hop across the Tasman Sea!

First and foremost this was a riding trip, but with the Mrs and I both toting cameras (she had our Canon A710IS and used it constantly from the back seat of the bike) over 8 days and about 4gb, we were bound to end up with a few decent shots. Bear with the snapshots as I give you the tour, and I promise at least one or two photos with some merit besides gorgeous NZ scenery.

Day 1: Christchurch

Welcome to Christchurch, the biggest city on the South Island. We didn't have a lot of time to really take it in, riding, not city-walking was the aim of this trip. But we did spend an afternoon walking around, just a little bit.

This unexpected sight set the tone for the trip... all of sudden, we were in Venice! :D

...scenery can change just like that in NZ. You can be in a rainforest one minute, and in the hills of an alpine forest the next.

The b&b we stayed in was gorgeous, featuring a very old and very ornate central wooden staircase that several rich folks have offered to buy. Tough light, but you get the idea.

There were more rose bushes than we could count as well.

Glad you got to go to New Zealand Doc, it is a beautiful country to visit.
    I lived in Auckland for about 9 months as a teenager.
    Never seen so many sheep and green landscapes in all my life.

I think sheep are like 10 per head of populations or something like that in New Zealand.

I hope you get to visit Tasmania while you are here in Australia,
    many folks say it is like New Zealand.
    Glad you got to forfil your life long dream Doc clap.gif

Thanks for sharing ...... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    And thanks for taking us with you two, of course. ;)

They left me at the moving glaciers .... :cry

I need to save up 2k to fly there.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2008
    They left me at the moving glaciers .... :cry

I need to save up 2k to fly there.
    lol3.gif

you won't regret it!
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 26, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    I hope you get to visit Tasmania while you are here in Australia,
    many folks say it is like New Zealand.
    Glad you got to forfil your life long dream Doc clap.gif

Thanks for sharing ...... Skippy :D
    Thanks skip!

I hope to visit Tas too. Time to save up a bit (cash and time off) and start planning the next trip!
    Erik

• Options
    cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Well Doc, I am pleased you have been to see some of our beautiful country. It was great to see some photos of my home town Christchurch and it's surrounds. I love it.

I hope your trip was a memorable one for all the right reasons and that you come back soon! If you do there are enough kiwis on this site to itinerise you well into the 'not so known' beauty spots. (I have a few having worked on helicopters for 20 plus years).

Great shots and thanks for sharing.
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2008
    Thanks cj! I would love to go back, and really hope I have the chance to do so. I definitely realize there is so much more to see, but the good part of doing a loop was that it served as a great scouting trip. I have a great idea of where I'd most love to spend some more time now.

Helicopters eh? I still have yet to go for a ride in one, but always wanted to. You must have some fantastic stories!
    Erik