Options

Blurb Books/Scancafe

ArchangelArchangel Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited June 13, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi there,

Not sure where this post belongs but I wanted to give some feedback.

I was lucky enough to get a code for a free Blurb Book in November. It took me an entire day to make the book, but the end result was great. I made a book for a friend of mine as a gift. It was comprised of photos that I took of her Golden Retriever that has since passed away. Here is a photo of the cover: http://goldenangi.smugmug.com/photos/245339954-M.jpg My friend was completely surprised and as those who have lost a dog before will understand that she was emotionally overcome. She showed the book to hundreds of people and they all loved it :D Now I will have more confidence to make another type of book to SELL.

I was also following the Scancafe thread. ALL of my baby pictures and old family photos consist of slides. I weeded through them and with fingers crossed, sent in 129 of them. It took several weeks but Scancafe kept me updated on the progress through e-mails and I got the CD and slides back and was very pleased!!

So for those who are contemplating using either Blurb or Scancafe, I give them a great recommendation!

Jeanne Urna
Photosbyjeanne.com

Comments

• Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Jeanne,

Great timing. I have a customer who's wants me to do a book (possibly multiple) with some of the dance photos I've taken of her daughters.

She made one using Snapfish (not with my photos) and I have to say the quality of the book contsruction was rather sub-par, the (hard) cover was already warping/curling and its less than a month old.

It sounds like Blurb makes a better product, which is a load off my mind.

Thanks

Mark

BTW - Your image link isn't working (for me at least), I get a blank page.
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Only available in the states.

Great.. :cry
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,268 moderator
    edited January 20, 2008
    DJKennedy wrote:
    Only available in the states.

Great.. :cry
    What's only available in the States? I know the blurb books are available in other countries...

--- Denise
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    What's only available in the States? I know the blurb books are available in other countries...

--- Denise
    15524779-Ti.gif I have ordered Blurb before thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2008

--- Denise

Yeah sorry, stupid me to not be more specific...Scancafe is only available in the states.

I too have ordered from Blurb - and am quite happy with them.

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    BELphotosBELphotos Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Archangel wrote:
    Hi there,

Not sure where this post belongs but I wanted to give some feedback.

I was lucky enough to get a code for a free Blurb Book in November. It took me an entire day to make the book, but the end result was great. I made a book for a friend of mine as a gift. It was comprised of photos that I took of her Golden Retriever that has since passed away. Here is a photo of the cover: http://goldenangi.smugmug.com/photos/245339954-M.jpg My friend was completely surprised and as those who have lost a dog before will understand that she was emotionally overcome. She showed the book to hundreds of people and they all loved it :D Now I will have more confidence to make another type of book to SELL.

I was also following the
    Scancafe
    thread. ALL of my baby pictures and old family photos consist of slides. I weeded through them and with fingers crossed, sent in 129 of them. It took several weeks but
    Scancafe
    kept me updated on the progress through e-mails and I got the CD and slides back and was very pleased!!

So for those who are contemplating using either Blurb or
    Scancafe
    , I give them a great recommendation!

Jeanne
    Urna
    Photosbyjeanne.com
    I too have used BLURB with very pleasing results. Both books, one softcover and one hardcover came out extremely well. I am looking forward to seeing them advance their software and provide more templates.

I am also in the process of a ScanCafe order. I have over 2500 slides to process and just sent in the 1st batch of five hundred. I read all of their reviews and scoured the forums for negative press and there was none. Only praise for their quality and low pricing. I almost used one of their LA based competitors, but abruptly pulled back when I read some negative reviews.
    http://www.BELphotos.com

"Never leave home without a camera"
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    BELphotos wrote:
    I am also in the process of a ScanCafe order. I have over 2500 slides to process and just sent in the 1st batch of five hundred. I read all of their reviews and scoured the forums for negative press and there was none. Only praise for their quality and low pricing. I almost used one of their LA based competitors, but abruptly pulled back when I read some negative reviews.

Any updates to your scancafe order? I'm about to send some in.

Also, we ordered our first blurb book today - looking forward to checking it out.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    BELphotosBELphotos Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    jhelms wrote:
    Any updates to your scancafe order? I'm about to send some in.

Also, we ordered our first blurb book today - looking forward to checking it out.
    Here's an update on my ScanCafe orders... "I have recently used ScanCafe and I am one very happy customer. I initially sent in a test batch of about 500 slides. At first, I was apprehensive about sending some of the "family jewels" to a place I had no control over. I took a leap of faith and I was not disappointed in the least. Your step-by-step status page kept me informed and marked the progress of my order as advertised. I was ecstatic when the status changed to "online" and I was able to see my scanned slides. The online clarity and crispness of the photos was far better than I could have done with my own scanner. When I received the DVDs and the originals shortly thereafter, my happiness turned to pure joy; I was looking at photos on my big screen computer that I had not seen in thirty years. - Bruce Lukaszewicz, BELphotos.com"

Since I sent them this complimentary email, they have used it with my permission as a testimonial. I have also sent in the next batch of 500+ slides and am awaiting their return. In a few weeks I will be sending in yet another batch.

I am very impressed with their level of care and expertise in cleaning up my slides. Each slide came back in pristine condition at a scan of 3600dpi. I have since enlarged one to 11x14 and another to 8x10 with no degradation whatsoever.

BTW - ScanCafe now has a community on SmugMug.
    http://www.BELphotos.com

"Never leave home without a camera"
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    Still, Canadians (and other international orders) need not apply (for Scancafe services).

• Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    BELphotos wrote:
    Here's an update on my ScanCafe orders... "I have recently used ScanCafe and I am one very happy customer. I initially sent in a test batch of about 500 slides. At first, I was apprehensive about sending some of the "family jewels" to a place I had no control over. I took a leap of faith and I was not disappointed in the least. Your step-by-step status page kept me informed and marked the progress of my order as advertised. I was ecstatic when the status changed to "online" and I was able to see my scanned slides. The online clarity and crispness of the photos was far better than I could have done with my own scanner. When I received the DVDs and the originals shortly thereafter, my happiness turned to pure joy; I was looking at photos on my big screen computer that I had not seen in thirty years. - Bruce Lukaszewicz, BELphotos.com"

Since I sent them this complimentary email, they have used it with my permission as a testimonial. I have also sent in the next batch of 500+ slides and am awaiting their return. In a few weeks I will be sending in yet another batch.

I am very impressed with their level of care and expertise in cleaning up my slides. Each slide came back in pristine condition at a scan of 3600dpi. I have since enlarged one to 11x14 and another to 8x10 with no degradation whatsoever.

BTW - ScanCafe now has a community on SmugMug.

Very cool!

On a similar note does anyone have any suggestions about getting some old 8mm / Super8 and VHS and DV tapes converted over to digital? preferable to high def

I started a new thread about it here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=96701

Also I have a referral coupon that someone sent me for a $10 scancafe.com discount - does anyone know if you can combine that one with the 15% smugmug discount?
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist