Smugmug down again!?

scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
edited January 20, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Looks like we're in read-only mode again, I'm getting the error message at the top of my page.

Any ETA on restoration of service?
Scott Walter Photography
scwalter.smugmug.com

Comments

• mleemlee Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    My site is completely gone right now. You go to it and it brings up someone else!
  • timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Same here, this seems to be happening more and more frequently now. :(
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Hi Folks, our engineers are on the case. Very sorry for the hassle.

Please keep in mind, we have read only mode so that your images are served up. Yes, you can't add/edit/buy or any of that but your sites are available for viewing.
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Is it normal in read only mode that I should get the normal smugmug.com home page when I go to www.ogle.co.nz but when I go to ogle.smugmug.com I get my photos?

I freaked out for a second because I was editing the description of one of my galleries when it went down.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    timnosenzo wrote:
    Same here, this seems to be happening more and more frequently now. :(

I hate to join the nay-sayer crowd, but as a nearly FOUR YEAR user of Smugmug, indeed I have never experienced as much down time as we have begun to see in 2008.

If there is ONE thing that could possibly in a million years force me to leave this photo host that I absolutely love and don't believe any other host comes close to offering the same services, it is this.

New features are great, and I know that whenever Smugmug does go down it is back up in record-breaking time, but there comes a point at which it is a deal-breaker, especially for professionals...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Folks, our engineers are on the case. Very sorry for the hassle.

Please keep in mind, we have read only mode so that your images are served up. Yes, you can't add/edit/buy or any of that but your sites are available for viewing.

Read-only mode doesn't appear to work when trying to access via custom domain names. That is a major issue for pros who use custom domains on their advertising and such.
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • sdunbarsdunbar Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    mlee wrote:
    My site is completely gone right now. You go to it and it brings up someone else!

The custom domain name mapping does not seem to work whenever SmugMug is in read-only mode. If you goto <nickname>.smugmug.com, you will be able to view the photos, but not make any changes.
  • mafotografixmafotografix Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    scwalter wrote:
    Read-only mode doesn't appear to work when trying to access via custom domain names. That is a major issue for pros who use custom domains on their advertising and such.

I agree with Walter.

I'm hoping it'll come up soon.

How did I find out it was down when I woke up this morning? Yet again, it was a wedding coordinator client who called me this morning saying that she had referred her client to my site but it was down and she asked me will I be fixing it and when will it be up. In the meantime, she's going to stop referring people to my site.

There's a lot of face saving issues when recommendations are made their reputation is at stake here too, not just mine.

I am also due to shoot a fashion show this evening and the organizers were asked to have a look at the recent shots I did for New York celebrity fashion designer Indashio. I hate to think they are trying to access the gallery as I'm typing this.

Power to the SM engineers to get this fixed quickly. I can possibly withstand a 24 hour downtime max.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Should be out of read-only and back to normal, sorry for the hassle!
  • mafotografixmafotografix Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Should be out of read-only and back to normal, sorry for the hassle!

Wheewhooo.....! clap.gif

OK, now to call/email all those other people .... with apologies/explanations/promises that it will not happen again, etc.... sigh.

Any freebies/makeup in future for your loyal Pro customers? :)