Natural light, still trying...

MaineMomMaineMom Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited January 21, 2008 in People
I am a studio photograher with no studio. At least not right now anyway, so i am trying to work on some other technique in my down time. What do you think?

Thanks,
~Jayne

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    It looks like you are making the adjustment pretty well. I like the pose and composition. It looks to me like there needs to be a bit more fill. The brightness of the background in relation to the subject detracts from the image a little but overall it is a good capture.
  • MaineMomMaineMom Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Darkened the background a bit.
    I did this very quickly with PSE. I realize there is a halo around his poor little head, but I see what you mean regarding the bright background.
    Thank you!
    ~Jayne
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    I agree, I think you want to get some of the background back (image > adjustments > shadow/highlight & slide the highlight amount slider to the right) ... and maybe ad some color? (I might have done too much)

Cute kid & good pose! thumb.gif:o)
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Very nice! I have been looking at it to try to figure out what bugs me, though. I'm thinking that if you have a fill flash (dial back by a stop or two or whatever looks good to you) and try it again. I think it would fill his eyes in better and give them even more sparkle. (What a cutie, BTW!)

A GREAT book to check out is a book by Douglas Box on Natural Light Photography. This shot is a perfect example of something he talks about to get that nice modeling in the face. I'm not a big fan of the photos he uses, but the techniques have really made a HUGE difference for me!

Overall, though, a VERY nice job!
  • MaineMomMaineMom Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Thanks!
    Thank you for all of your imput! I will check out that book you mentioned.
    The cutie pie is my son, I have taken so many photos of him that whenever I call his name he "poses and smiles" on command. I guess I'd better give him a break or I'll never get a genuine smile again! :D

Thanks again!!
    ~Jayne