Smugmug Video: Almost there!

DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
edited January 21, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Taken from the video sticky above on 11/28/07
Dodge, going by our past conversations, I thought your head would explode seeing that they arent using WMV. :rofl

Taken from a post of mine on 5/13/06

DodgeV83 wrote:
After reading onethumb's response, it doesn't look like they will be going the choice route. And for the record, YouTube quality is horrible. Beyond horrible. It has to be in order to serve videos to millions of people. At first I thought you were going the Flash route, but downloading to iPod? You must be talking about going the MPEG4 route, which (unlike WMV as you stated above) *NO Windows Computer* can play by default! I already have a great solution with up to 1080p HD video, so I'm really not too concerned about it anymore...but my god, please don't make every Windows user that wants to watch Smugmug video have to download a seperate player to get the videos, just so the Apple users won't have to.

Unfortunately, I'm still having the same problem with MPEG-4 (H.264) in Quicktime now as I did back then. I just sent a demo link to some of my clients, and the video didn't work! "It just froze" is the response I got. Really the problem was he doesn't have Quicktime installed. You know what he did have installed? Flash.

You know what he could have updated to (if he didn't already have it) in literally 15 seconds if he had the option to? The new version of Flash that supports H.264.

Now that Flash supports H.264, I applaud Smugmug for adopting it...my only fear is they will be complacent with updating their frontend to call the Flash player instead of the Quicktime player, thinking "Oh its ok, it works in Quicktime, everyone should just install that if they want to watch videos!" I'd be a shame if we had to wait another few years for that feature, as I still can't get rid of my Dreamhost account :(

So yes, almost 2 years after my original posts on the issue, and I'm still getting "Why do I need to download something for your videos? Videos at the other sites work fine", from people.

Now look at

http://frelowvideos.com/Flash/

vs.

http://www.frelowphotos.com/gallery/4202024#245586890-A-LB
  • Mine will automatically upgrade your Flash without having to browse to a new page if your version doesn't support h.264.
  • Mine supports fullscreen (though Quicktime makes you pay $30 for fullscreen mode, I can't enable it on Smugmug for some reason).
  • Mine is playing a higher quality version (profile) of h.264 that Quicktime doesn't support (!!!).
This means I can get arguably better quality (compare the 2 videos) with almost half the bitrate. My file is 4.71MB vs the 8.34MB of Smugmug's file. ***Technical Info: The use of High Profile with h.264 will probably make it harder to decode, but thats why we have small "Web" versions right?***

There's only one thing I like about the Smugmug offering. It creates smaller resolution files for me automatically, detects the browser width, and chooses a video resolution accordingly, with a blazing fast download speed.

My message to Smugmug: I know your plan all-along was to do h.264 in Flash, just please don't make us wait years like we did for the change from Mpeg-1 -> Mpeg-4!

:deal

I :lust Smugmug

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    My message to Smugmug: I know your plan all-along was to do h.264 in Flash, just please don't make us wait years like we did for the change from Mpeg-1 -> Mpeg-4!

deal.gif

I iloveyou.gif Smugmug
    Dodge, hang in there deal.gif