First Post in Holy Macro

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited January 22, 2008 in Holy Macro
I've been lurking around Holy Macro for a few months. I'm in awe of the talent here. Got bored today and started playing around. All pp on this done in LR. Not really a macro image, but a serious crop. I know it isn't much of a photo technically, but it was fun.

I'm thinking of diving into the macro pool, and am looking at the Sigma 150 2.8. What do y'all think of that lens? This image was taken with the Nikon 18-70 at 70mm, f11, 1/250. SB800.

245772674-XL.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Hey IceBear, cool pic...I'm new to macro as well but can tell you it is WICKED ADDICTIVE!! lol
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    I like it. Sort of reminds me of a basketball player, leaping up out of water, and going for a slam dunk! Combines water and motion nicely. Macro shots are always so fun to look at.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Looks good to me - result of dipping your toe in ?
    Unlesss you have a very specific reason for wanting a longer macro lens I'd stick to one around 100mm (canon 100, Nikon 105, Tamron 90, sigma 105) they are just easier to handle.

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    I've been lurking around Holy Macro for a few months. I'm in awe of the talent here. Got bored today and started playing around. All pp on this done in LR. Not really a macro image, but a serious crop. I know it isn't much of a photo technically, but it was fun.

I'm thinking of diving into the macro pool, and am looking at the Sigma 150 2.8. What do y'all think of that lens? This image was taken with the Nikon 18-70 at 70mm, f11, 1/250. SB800.

Hi there Icebear, and welcome to the Macro Forum.
    Macro is very, very addictive indeed.... that want to get closer and closer.

As Brian mentions in a reply to you, the 100mm's are easier to handle.
    They are also not limited to just Macro.

My first Macro lens was and still is the Canon 100mm thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    So, Skippy and Lord V,
    I was thinking the additional working distance of the 150 would be an advantage in more situations than not. (For example, I had to keep drying water droplets off my 70 when taking the posted shot) Your advice leads me to think there must be other considerations I've not thought about. Do you mind sharing more of your expertise in this regard?
    John :
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    I like it. Sort of reminds me of a basketball player, leaping up out of water, and going for a slam dunk! Combines water and motion nicely. Macro shots are always so fun to look at.

Thanks! What cool imagery. Now I can't see anything else when I look at it.
    John :
  • summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    OOOO that's pretty.iloveyou.gif Almost looks like glass.