Advice about MP-E 65mm lens.

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited January 22, 2008 in Holy Macro
I will be receiving my MP-E 65mm lens from the States on 24th Feb. However, I have been reading many reviews about this lens. Is it correct that any breezes whatsoever, or the slightest movement of the object will result in a blurred photo. Also they say it is impossible to use without a tripod. Your comments will be well received especially from Brian and Skippy.
Kind regards
Bob

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Handholding at 1:1 is pushing the limits of my envelope:D .
    Any more than that, is way beyond my capability. Factor in any subject movement (breeze) and I'm totally wasting my time unless I use flash. That's my point.
    I can't imagine that lens being very useful without some pretty sexy flash equipment.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Sounds like the sort of comments you get from a non- macrophotographer trying to do a review of the lens. I don't use a tripod and indeed I think trying to use a tripod at high mags (4 or 5:1) would be virtually impossible for anything other than an indoor concrete environment.
    I can quite happily use the lens up to 3:1 using my bean pole support for free standing shots- using the sway technique to focus or by holding part of plant the target is on and resting the camera lens on that hand. For shots at 4:1 or 5:1 I'm invariably resting the lens on something- often the same (hard) surface a bug is on or on part of me.
    I quite often cheat a bit to do this. For example if I want a high power shot of a tiny bug on a leaf I will often pick the leaf off and rest it on a solid surface whilst I rest the lens on the same surface. If the bug has not flown off when I've finished I just put the leaf back into the plant.

So overall it takes a bit of getting used to but you gradually develop techniques to get round them. It's a wonderful lens - have fun with it :)

One point is that if you want to get sharp detail shots at high mags you will need to open up the aperture. I normally shoot at F11 at 1:1 and am down at F5.6/F6.3 at 5:1

Brian V.
  • couriermancourierman Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    just got my MP-E 65 it's all new to me comming from a Sigma 150
    here are some shots at 3 X life size handheld

some type of larvae

lv1.jpg

lv2.jpg

lv3.jpg

lv4.jpg

lv5.jpg

Thanks
    Click here to see >>>>My Photos :photo

Canon EOS 40D, MP-E 65 2.8, Sigma EM-140 DG
    Canon EOS 400D Firmware 1.1.1,EF-S 18 55,EF 28 105,Sigma 150 EX DG APO macro,Sigma 70 300 APO DG
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    I will be receiving my MP-E 65mm lens from the States on 24th Feb. However, I have been reading many reviews about this lens. Is it correct that any breezes whatsoever, or the slightest movement of the object will result in a blurred photo. Also they say it is impossible to use without a tripod. Your comments will be well received especially from Brian and Skippy.
    Kind regards
    Bob

Hi Bob, the MPE-65 has quite a learning curve, but it yields some amazing magnification.

I can hand hold to not quite x3 but I stuggle even at that sometimes.
    Up to 2x is pretty good.

I have not successful shot anything that moves,
    but in all fairness I have not used this lens much at all since I got,
    with my work commitments.

I believe you will enjoy it, but you may find it challenging at first.
    Be patient with the learning thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Bob, the MPE-65 has quite a learning curve, but it yields some amazing magnification.

Up to 2x is pretty good.

.[/quote

After hearing what Brian and Skippy has said and the photos that have been produced from someone who has just got an MPE that is good enough for me and I cannot waituntil the 24th Feb. You really have reassured me. I was no good at macro until I used Brian's advice with the pole and the sway etc.
    Thanks again
    Bob
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    ... For example if I want a high power shot of a tiny bug on a leaf I will often pick the leaf off and rest it on a solid surface whilst I rest the lens on the same surface. If the bug has not flown off when I've finished I just put the leaf back into the plant....Brian V.

Brian, so that's your secret technique? You not only take wonderful macro photos, but you also have the magic touch to reattach a leaf to a plant.bowdown.gifrofl

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    At's why he's called "Lord"
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited January 22, 2008
    courierman wrote:
    just got my MP-E 65 it's all new to me comming from a Sigma 150
    here are some shots at 3 X life size handheld

some type of larvae

lv1.jpg

lv2.jpg

lv3.jpg

lv4.jpg

lv5.jpg

Thanks

Hi
    I think your photos are great and I can see you are enjoying your MPE. You have made it for me and thanks a lot
    Bob
    edited January 22, 2008
    Skippy wrote:

Up to 2x is pretty good.

Thanks a lot Skip I know what you were saying when you first got yours. Can you tell me, what and where do I change for the different magnifications. 1:1 - 1:5 is there something on the lens to tell you or what? Thanks again
    Bob
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    << Sounds like the sort of comments you get from a non- macrophotographer trying to do a review of the lens >>

Couldn't agree more :)

Have only had mine for just over a couple of months (so still a newb with this'n) and can't imagine using same on a tripod in a dynamic situation. (a few nights ago - about 0200 - saw me trying to take carpet level pics of a couple of mites (about 0.5mm) scampering over the back of a moving slug)
    Liked to have seen the tripod setup for that.

The only pics I can recollect seeing where one was used (for live, animate subjects) are here

http://www.photomacrography2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2928&highlight=mpe

<< is there something on the lens to tell you >>

Yes, As you turn the main ring, it reveals mag factor + working distance in mm/inches :)

pp