Options

Posting what you shot to the Forum without loss of Quality.

graflexTomgraflexTom Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited March 18, 2005 in Technique
Ok I am new to digital. I shoot a Raw image. I see a clear but photo That needs adjustment. I get it sharp Clean and convert it to a tiff or Jpeg. I reduce the size and post it and suddenly it suddenly looks like Crap. Sharpness gone focus looks bad. So I go back to the full sized Tiff It is still great. The RAW photo IS crisp. So what the hsck happened. Why does it look like I had the shakes or blured vision on the post.

I have a Picture I want to add here I will do so when I get it fixed. I have tried three different times and everytime I preview it, it sucks.

So how are you posting here and not losing the Image quality.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    graflexTom wrote:
    Ok I am new to digital. I shoot a Raw image. I see a clear but photo That needs adjustment. I get it sharp Clean and convert it to a tiff or Jpeg. I reduce the size and post it and suddenly it suddenly looks like Crap. Sharpness gone focus looks bad. So I go back to the full sized Tiff It is still great. The RAW photo IS crisp. So what the hsck happened. Why does it look like I had the shakes or blured vision on the post.

I have a Picture I want to add here I will do so when I get it fixed. I have tried three different times and everytime I preview it, it sucks.

are you attaching or are you linking from a web server or photo host like smugmug.com?

for web display, i handle it myself after processing the fullsize file, i'll then resize to 800px on the longest side, and *then* apply sharpnening to taste. save as jpg.

good luck
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Another tip - make sure it's sRGB and within gamut. You can do this by converting in and out of CMYK just once.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Gamut??? Could you please tell me what that means?

g (I don't have a problem putting my stuff on, I just don't know what that word means in relation to this problem)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    color management, gamut
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Gamut??? Could you please tell me what that means?

g (I don't have a problem putting my stuff on, I just don't know what that word means in relation to this problem)

start here

then read petteri's article on color management

and then look here for more

deal.gif
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    andy wrote:

why sRGB? i was under the impression that adobe 1998 was much better...i am way off on this one?
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    That is what the book says, and I did it, too. Came to find out, along with a bunch of other people here, that everything assumes we are using sRGB, so it is set up for it, including the people who do the printing for smugmug.

Someone else can, I am sure, give you a more technical answer. I was just happy to know it is sRGB, so I put it there and have lived happily ever after.

(Other people complained, too, when they had it on that Adobe 1998) And it was kind of along the lines of your complaint.

ginger
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    I can't comment on RAW or printing from Smugmug, but I find "save for web" option in Photoshop really good.

You can resize at the same time and choose a specific browser.

Then (as Andy says) you sharpen the resized image.
    graflexTom wrote:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    A smugmug account, which can be very reasonable, it makes it so easy to do the whole thing.

I download mine at Maximum size 10, usually, to smugmug. I pick one out, look at it larger, then I click on share with friends, I copy the size (in order to paste later), that I want to display. Large works out fine for that 800 thing that Andy was talking about. So i have that copied.

I open up dgrin, go to either "reply" to someone else, or to New Thread, I move the cursor down a bit so it can breathe at the top.

Then I click on the yellow box above where you write. I think it will come up where if you delete what is on it, you can paste what you have copied. Then click OK. The photo will come up in the message box and just click on the outside of it that you accept it. (you could change your mind later).

Then you have a photo, and maybe enough room at the top to add a message. Not important, if you don't, you can write it at the bottom.

Remember we have talked this all through and sRGB is the way you want to bring it here.

Don't forget a title to entice all of us to look at your photo.

I am excited to see you post, or answer some more questions.

Ginger,
    I am never sure I have answered everything unless I do it on the phone with the person.

If you get a smugmug acct and mention my name, well that has never happened to me before, and my membership is coming up for renewal. In a couple of weeks, I have an expensive pro acct. You wouldn't want to dip your toe in that way. Just the cheapest and learn to work the system. It is fun! You could still mention my name Ginger Jones. If this is illegal to do, solicite for a 5.oo profit or so, please delete.

good morning