Options

Messed Up At The Air Show

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited March 19, 2005 in Holy Macro
Butttttttt I tell you what........... I had a ball :):
Got caught up in the excitement of being so close to those Planes, that I somehow managed to get my 20D on a setting that I couldn't get it out of.

Over 60% of my shots were way under exposed.....learnt a few things that day.
I learnt if your gonna photograph an Air Show, you need a good wide angle, it is impossible to fit a plane in a shot on the ground with a 50mm lens.

I also learnt that the 50mm 1.4 is a BEAUTY for shooting indoors without a flash, and excellent outside too, except it just isn't wide enough for planes :rolleyes

I learnt that you need a bigger Zoom than a 200mm too hehehehe :D

At the end of the day I had a wonderful time, and I learnt more about my camera, and shooting in different lighting conditions, and I went home Smiling :rofl

Here's a few from my Airport Adventure.

IMG_1258copyEd_filtered.jpg

IMG_1268copyEd_filtered.jpg

IMG_1272copyEd_filtered.jpg

IMG_1364copyEd_filtered.jpg

IMG_1401copyEd_filtered.jpg

IMG_1464copyEd_filtered.jpg
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Skippy
    #1,2 and 4 do it for me
    1 and 4 are killerclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Skippy ?? naaa can't. These are not close enough, hmmm maybe it is rolleyes1.gif

All the best over the pond thumb.gif

Danny.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    Thank you Fred
    Awwww thanks heaps....... I had a wonderful time I really did, I'd like to go again, and I'm sure I could do much better next time.

I love using the Canon 50mm 1.4 indoors, it reacts beautifully to the lighting conditions, and I pushed it to 1600 ISO too..........can't wait to see what I can get at Disneyland........thank you for your Thumbs Up ... Skippy (Australia)
    USAIR wrote:
    #1,2 and 4 do it for me
    1 and 4 are killerclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks
    Fred

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    Heyyyyyy Danny
    Yessssss!!! it's me Skippy from Sony Forum Dpreview, I got myself some new toys I did, I did, and I'm having a ball learning how to use them :):

I'm really happy with the Lenses I have brought so far, but I know I am gonna want a bigger lens hehehe......

I'm only 2 weeks into owning this new gear Danny, but so far learning has been great, even happy about the stuff ups I am making too, it's all a learning process.....catch you again, thanks for stopping in......Skippy (Australia)
    nzmacro wrote:
    Skippy ?? naaa can't. These are not close enough, hmmm maybe it is rolleyes1.gif

All the best over the pond thumb.gif

Danny.

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 18, 2005
    Ya done good Skippy ^5
    Yeah, 50mm's X that 1.6X multiplier isn't very wide at all.....lol You wind up moving backwards, to zoom out, alot :lol Still these came out very nice and as you've shown, you really don't need to get the whole aircraft in the frame to get a good shot anyway thumb.gifthumb.gif

I have to tell you that I thought you'd be more excited about your new gear.....Laughing.gif J/K You sound euphoric :lol4 Who needs booze or drugs? Just give them a 20D to play with.....lol

Glad you're enjoying yourself and yep, Dizzyland is going to be loads of fun with that camera clap.gif

Steve

So did you figure out what "mode" you got stuck in that caused the UE probs?
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    thumb.gif These two work for me!

I love this plane.
    IMG_1364copyEd_filtered.jpg

IMG_1258copyEd_filtered.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Thanks you very much Steve.........

Ohhhhhh I had a great time, actually I felt quite comfortable using the camera gear, it was just that I'd managed to turn down +/- and ya think I could figure out how to turn it back up???? ...... well I did but it was too late by the time I did.

My flights to America are all booked now, I'm really hanging out to go to USA this time round, new places to explore, especially getting the chance to go to Yellow Stone National Park......this will indeed be the highlight of my trip, ohhhhh and lets not forget Disneyland too clap.gif M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E :D

The results I am getting from the Canon Gear are very pleasing indeed, I'm incredibley happy, even though I have lots more to learn, I'm having a ball making mistakes too :)

I'm really looking forward to taking some night shots at Disneyland and just having a ball meeting up with some old internet friends too.

Take Care Steve........... Skippy (Australia)

Yeah, 50mm's X that 1.6X multiplier isn't very wide at all.....lol You wind up moving backwards, to zoom out, alot :lol Still these came out very nice and as you've shown, you really don't need to get the whole aircraft in the frame to get a good shot anyway thumb.gifthumb.gif

I have to tell you that I thought you'd be more excited about your new gear.....Laughing.gif J/K You sound euphoric :lol4 Who needs booze or drugs? Just give them a 20D to play with.....lol

Glad you're enjoying yourself and yep, Dizzyland is going to be loads of fun with that camera clap.gif

Steve

So did you figure out what "mode" you got stuck in that caused the UE probs?

• Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Awwwww thank you Wxwax
    Ohhhhhhhhh yup ya gotta love that Canon 50mm 1.4, cause I am in love with it iloveyou.gif its performance inside in low light is just amazing, this will be a lens I will treasure for a long long long time........glad you liked the planes, it was a great day....... Skippy (Australia)
    wxwax wrote:
    thumb.gif These two work for me!

I love this plane.

• Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Airshots!
    Airshow shots from Hillsboro, Or...

17764138-M.jpg

17764155-M.jpg

17764141-M.jpg

17764150-M.jpg

Deacon
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    At the end of the day I had a wonderful time, and I learnt more about my camera, and shooting in different lighting conditions, and I went home Smiling rolleyes1.gif

That's what it's all about, isn't it Skippy? When yous top having fun, it's time to pack it up.

Nice shooting, ace.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Wow Deacon
    What lens do you prefer to use at Air Shows??
    I'd never been to one before, and I was so glad we had tickets to the Trade Day, cause being one person amoungst over 200,000 is not were I wanted to be once it opened to the Public.....the day I went I think there would be less than 300 people in the viewing area.

Love your shots...... and I'd love to go again next time its on....hmmmm lets see that's 2 more years from now hehehe........yep I am sure I will own more Glass by then......thanks for sharing your images........ Skippy (Australia)
    Deacon wrote:
    Airshow shots from Hillsboro, Or...

Deacon

• Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Thank you Fish - Shark
    fish wrote:
    That's what it's all about, isn't it Skippy? When yous top having fun, it's time to pack it up.

Nice shooting, ace.
    Yup that is what it's all about.......having fun, and I had a ball :)

Next adventure on my list happens in August this year .....a full week in Disneyland, followed by 3 weeks in Montana, followed by 3 weeks in Ohio, followed by 2 days travel to get back to Australia, followed by one day off, followed by back to work the next day rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the comment :D

• Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Glass
    Skippy,

Those were shot with a 70-200 f2.8 vr (vibration reduction)! Glad you are having fun. Just got back from Disneyworld and you will have a feast for your camera let alone all the other great places you are traveling to.

Deacon
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    I Loved DisneyWorld
    Hi Again Deacon......... this is I think my 6th trip to USA, I loving going back there, this trip is way over due, because of the sale of the company that I work for.

I have been to Disneyland and DisneyWorld before, but many many years have gone by since I was there, gosh my nephew who was with me at the time was only 8 years old, he's 20 now :D

I'm really looking forward to this trip.........can't wait clap.gif
    There are no Theme Parks in the part of Australia that I live in, almost all of those big Theme Parks are in Queensland.

Take Care........ Skippy (Australia)

Deacon wrote:
    Skippy,

Those were shot with a 70-200 f2.8 vr (vibration reduction)! Glad you are having fun. Just got back from Disneyworld and you will have a feast for your camera let alone all the other great places you are traveling to.

Deacon

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    There are no Theme Parks in the part of Australia that I live in, almost all of those big Theme Parks are in Queensland.

Take Care........ Skippy (Australia)
    Yep..the 4 big ones are within 20-40 mins from me (we got all the tourists). Best thing is that you go to one with the kids & then when you go again 12 years later...its still the same.

I actually liked your airshow stuff...thumb.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Skippy wrote:

Thanks for the comment :D

my pleasure. thanks for sharing your shots and thoughts.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson