New to Group MX Photographer

XSP/TonypXSP/Tonyp Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited January 28, 2008 in Sports
I LOVE Digital Grin!
I really enjoy shooting MX and other motorsports.
A few sample hotos to follow. I'd LOVE a sponsor to help me get into Sports Shooter!
Thanks,
Tony P
Radical Sports Phtography
Unionville, NC

Comments

• XSP/TonypXSP/Tonyp Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    How do I post several images in one post?

Tony P
    edited January 21, 2008
    I'd welcome any feedback!
    Tony P
    edited January 21, 2008
    OK, only one more after this and I'll stop for the night!
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Great photos. I also shoot MX (although they are all 2005+ photosrolleyes1.gif )

This link may help you with posting your photos.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=8401
    edited January 21, 2008
    Thanks for a GREAT site!
    Good Night!
    Tony P
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    You can only attach one photo per post, but you can embed as many as you want. The link above should help, also the link in my signature. thumb.gif

Oh, and .... cool shots! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Nice shots.

In #3 I think your AF got confused by the thrown up rocks. I've had that happen at flat track. I use manual focus when there's a lot a crap tween me and my subject.
    Rags
  • jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    I to enjoy MX photography. So I thought I would join on in on this one.
    Do you have any recent mx photos, or a website we could view more of you work at?

Here are a few fom my 2007 MX

246840602-L-1.jpg

201775069-L-1.jpg

164378987-L.jpg

163530847-L.jpg

165638257-L.jpg
    Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    You've got some nice sharpness in most of these. But my biggest complaint is you've shot most of them from BEHIND. In almost all cases, the front of a person is more interesting than their back side - at least for sports shots.

Also - did you add some blur affects in PP to some of these images? It looks a bit unnatural.

As far as getting into sportsshooter - my advice is build up a history of displaying quality work especially before asking for someone to sponsor you. If you show repeatedly you can produce high quality shots and you actively participate in forums your sponsor will find YOU.

But here's my take as a viewer of people's work: you need to decide whether you want to portray yourself as a general sports shooter - in which case it's important to show quality work in a variety of sports or just an MX shooter. If you want to specialize then you need to be exceptional at that one thing. This is just one person's opinion. So take it for what it's worth.

Keep at it! And try to lay off the special affects and get some photos from the front.
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    In almost all cases, the front of a person is more interesting than their back side - at least for sports shots.

Other sports, this may be true. Motocross, behind shots are the norm.

For the OP, that's a few from the past for MX. Do you have anymore that are current?

JBR.. nice shots! I'll throw a BT in to couple with your RV. Which I see you have BT turning the opposite way on your site. Cool.

191072629-M.jpg

• Bill PruittBill Pruitt Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    j-bo wrote:
    Other sports, this may be true. Motocross, behind shots are the norm.

I don't agree with this at all. While shots from the back definately have their place, frontal or side shots have the most impact.

That will be $.02 please..
    245900880-M.jpg

Bill
    Bill
    Bradenton, Florida
    http://BillPruittPhotography.com
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    I don't agree with this at all.

Agree or not. Behind shots are plastered everywhere in mx mags, promo's, and the like. They have impact.

Throw me a buck now, thanks! wings.gif

191551339-M.jpg
  • BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    As someone who as raced MX for a long time I prefer shots from behind in general, not always but most of the time. You can see the attitude of the rear suspension, you can see the rear tire working and it has a much stronger effect of making me feel and remember exactly what its like to be in the rider's situtation. Shots from the front are usually (not always) much more sterile. Now, I'm quite sure the dynamic would be completely different if your viewers were not MX racers themselves as the effect I so appreciate would be totally lost.
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
    edited January 26, 2008
    While no one can dictate someone else's personal preference, I have been published in Many Many MX magazines over the years starting in 1974 as a 14 year old. I can at least say that as for money shots, shots that were published in Pete's Fox Catalog, Dirt Bike, MXA, Cycle News, Yamaha Motors, etc,.... I have sold FAR more rear view and then in order, side view, "underneath" shooting up at riders, and least of all front view or first turn shots. Now , this doews not include the tons of Crash & Burn Magazine shots which were published. I've sold FAR more C&B shots than any of the other views. I must have been doing something right, I had 6 offers to move to CA and be on staff at Hi Torque Publishing. But when it comes right down to it, ain't none of the shots worth a penny if the client don't like it! If a rider or client prefers frontal view, he is RIGHT! In retrospect maybe I just could not shoot anything head-on, so disreguard this whole message! :>
    Great Site!
    Tony P
  • Bill PruittBill Pruitt Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    I think this makes sense. Thank you.
    BikePilot wrote:
    As someone who as raced MX for a long time I prefer shots from behind in general, not always but most of the time. You can see the attitude of the rear suspension, you can see the rear tire working and it has a much stronger effect of making me feel and remember exactly what its like to be in the rider's situtation. Shots from the front are usually (not always) much more sterile. Now, I'm quite sure the dynamic would be completely different if your viewers were not MX racers themselves as the effect I so appreciate would be totally lost.
    Bill
    Bradenton, Florida
    http://BillPruittPhotography.com
  • AmateurMXAmateurMX Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    In motocross, all views of the bike and rider can be equally powerful depending on the action taking place. There really is no set formula—front, back, side or 3/4. All that really matters is the action and technical merrits of the photo.

A2SX08CH_0257.jpg
    A2SX08CH_0272.jpg
    A2SX08CH_0279.jpg

Tony, not to be too forward, but who are you? I worked for Hi-Torque publications for 8 years (1988-1996) as staff photographer. Maybe we have crossed paths a time or two.

Chris Hultner
  • kelsowkelsow Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    These are some fantastic pix being shown here.