Options

20d help needed

jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
edited March 22, 2005 in Cameras
recieved 20d yesterday and so far so good...except...when i try to use my el cheapo external flash. everything works great for awhile, then i get the dreaded "error 99". no flash attached, no errors. flash attached, mostly great pics...then the error. the flash is the relatively cheapo quantaray 900WA. the ritz website states it should work with all canon dslrs. the flash was a gift and i was too polite to reture for a speedlight, sunpack, metz, whathaveyou. any thoughts?

doesnt sunpack make the quantaray flashes for ritz? can it be a voltage issue when it worked fine on my 300d?

-jeff

Comments

• Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    recieved 20d yesterday and so far so good...except...when i try to use my el cheapo external flash. everything works great for awhile, then i get the dreaded "error 99". no flash attached, no errors. flash attached, mostly great pics...then the error. the flash is the relatively cheapo quantaray 900WA. the ritz website states it should work with all canon dslrs. the flash was a gift and i was too polite to reture for a speedlight, sunpack, metz, whathaveyou. any thoughts?

doesnt sunpack make the quantaray flashes for ritz? can it be a voltage issue when it worked fine on my 300d?

-jeff
    48 views and no love?rolleyes1.gif

did i post in the wrong forum?ne_nau.gif

c'mon...i know there are some serious wizards and gurus out there. help a confused lad outthumb.gif
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    Jeff
    Not sure I can help
    I use a Sunpak 383 on my 20d it works just fine

Maybe some of the flash experts will chime in on this

Fred
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    Not sure I can help
    I use a Sunpak 383 on my 20d it works just fine

Maybe some of the flash experts will chime in on this

Fred
    thanks fred. i'll be looking into that unit if i cant make this thingy work...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    thanks fred. i'll be looking into that unit if i cant make this thingy work...

what firmware is in the camera?
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    what firmware is in the camera?

thanks for the reply andy!

firmware version 1.1.0
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005

firmware version 1.1.0

hmm well, i'm just guessing here, but it's probably the flash. i use the 580ex with the 20d and the two perform flawlessly together. there must be some kind of hinky communication going on between the 3rd party flash you are using and the camera. are you shooting in p mode, manual, or what? do you get lockups without the flash?
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    420EX, 550EX, and 580EX (preferred) all work with the 20D. Dump the cheap flash and get a decent one that you know will work with the camera.

1drink.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    wmsnyderwmsnyder Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2005

firmware version 1.1.0
    It may not have anything to do with your flash. Try cleaning your contacts on the lens mount and also try taking your battery out for a few minutes and then puttting it back in. If you do a web search on this error you can find more info.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    wmsnyder wrote:
    It may not have anything to do with your flash. Try cleaning your contacts on the lens mount and also try taking your battery out for a few minutes and then puttting it back in. If you do a web search on this error you can find more info.
    thanks for all the replies!

i shoot in M with the external flash on. when its off i am always in Av.

i never get the error unless the flash is on, so i think the lens contacts are ok. i'll clean them anyways and will do a search too.

and yes, i would love a 550 ex, but...$$$$

although i guess it makes poor sense to buy a $1300 body and use el cheapo accessories on it. headscratch.gif

thanks again for the help, as always i really appreciate it.thumb.gif

jeff
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 21, 2005

-jeff

You did not say whether the built-in flash on your 20D works properly or not. If the built in flash works ok, I would tend to agree with Andy that it probably has to do with the third party flash.

I agree with Fish that I would tend to stick with Canon's flashes or at least Metz or Sunpack to avoid these issues.

Have you tried attaching the manual flash via the PC cord connector instead of the hot shoe? You may have to place a dummy hot shoe in the camera's hot shoe to defeat the hot shoe connections and use a pc cord. Just a thought...
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    You did not say whether the built-in flash on your 20D works properly or not. If the built in flash works ok, I would tend to agree with Andy that it probably has to do with the third party flash.

I agree with Fish that I would tend to stick with Canon's flashes or at least Metz or Sunpack to avoid these issues.

Have you tried attaching the manual flash via the PC cord connector instead of the hot shoe? You may have to place a dummy hot shoe in the camera's hot shoe to defeat the hot shoe connections and use a pc cord. Just a thought...
    built in flash works great, as does the rest of the camera. i just dont see why it would work flawlessly on my old rebel....headscratch.gif

i also think fish has the best advice: crappy gear on a great camera es no bueno...

thanks again everyone for the help...

now how the hell am i going to offload a quantarary flash meant only for the dreb (it seems)?...not exactly a hot value holding item! baldy.gif i'm sure it will sell like hotcakes on FM:bs
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    You can pickup a Sigma Super 500 ETTL-II flash for about $190 at B&H. It works great on my 20D and is very compairable to the 580EX
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    You can pickup a Sigma Super 500 ETTL-II flash for about $190 at B&H. It works great on my 20D and is very compairable to the 580EX
    thanks...i've been eyin that model for sometime....time to find something to ebay...rolleyes1.gif