A created Category/Gallery is not visable?

hvdvenhvdven Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited January 22, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hello,

I am a little puzzled right now.... Yesterday I started with the 14 days trail and (I have the Pro status). Rigth now I have the feeling that I have limited rights to build my site? But I could be wrong... what is my problem:

Now that I am trying to build a site with Smugmug.... I am a bit worried. There are a lot of help files (that's great :thumb), but I just can not manage to create a second categorie or gallery anymore... I looked on the forum, but I could not find an answer there. So I need your help...:bow

I have now 1 Category "Travel" and 1 gallery "China" (I suppose this is the same as a subcategory in Control panel?).
Question:
1. Why CAN I create (sub-)Categories/Galleries but NEVER see them on my homepage? -- ACCEPT when I want to delete them with Control Panel?
This is a bit frustrating.... it should be very simple?

2. I want to make a custom header and I did manage to make / upload one. I uploaded it before in my BIO... and it worked. (but BIO should not be the place to put your customizing things there? Does it?)
Depending on your advise... I just think about a HIDDEN gallery (or some place) to upload the stuff for customizing the website. So, that's why I removed today my custom header from my BIO (and have no header anymore.... but that is logical)

I hope someone understands my needs and want to tell me how I can create a beautiful site with Smugmug.....:dunno

Thanks
Henk

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Hi Henk,

Welcome to Dgrin and to SmugMug! wave.gif
    I'm sorry that you're having a bit trouble getting used to SmugMug. I promise you that you stick with it, you'll get used to it pretty fast.

1. First of all, subcategories are not the same as galleries. Galleries contain photos, but subcategories are there to allow you another level of structure. Our structure looks like this:
    category > subcategory (optional) > gallery (contains photos)

The gallery that you have created is still empty and empty galleries won't show up for your visitors. In order to upload photos to it, click on the 'add photos' button and use the Simple uploader.

2. In order to use a custom header, you'll have to create a gallery for it and upload it to this gallery. Then you'll be able to use the header following our header tutorial here:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1932865

For more cool stuff, check out our customization FAQ:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/customize-faq.mg

I hope this helps to get you started,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • hvdvenhvdven Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    I am learning a bit more.....:D

The categories are fixed?
    And you can create galleries inside a category.

So, for uploading a custom header, I created a gallery "Website" in a Categorie "Computer" to upload my banner/header. I made this gallery "not public"... is that the way to go to put things in Smugmug for customizing?
    edited January 22, 2008
    Aha, I was writing my reply and then I saw yours.... Thanks! thumb.gif

So, my way to upload stuf for customizing is OK?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited January 22, 2008
    hvdven wrote:
    The categories are fixed?
    And you can create galleries inside a category.
    You can use the standard categories, plus you can create your own custom categories.

--- Denise
    edited January 22, 2008
    Thanks a lot for the quick response! thumb.gif
    Now I can go on....wings.gif