No feedback?

j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
edited January 24, 2008 in People
This question from another thread got me typing.
no feedback?

I find that if someone doesn't ask for it, people won't give it as they think people are just sharing their photo's. So to me, if you want comments, ask.

When you ask for C&C then I believe it's in everyone's best interest to be truthful (while being respectful) with your comments and not be worried about hurt feelings. As in, "nice shot, pretty subject, good going, way to go, etc. etc. etc." when the photo is clearly OOF, has little contrast, has some composition problem, lighting problem, or whatever problem. I am not of the mindsight to nitpick a photo to death though.

Sure, people have differing opinions on all of those things, but that's what's so great about getting different critiques to look at! I think that one could get a general consensus with many "real" critiques.

I also don't think you need to be a pro or proam photographer to give (meaning, there are no qualifications needed to critique!) a critique either. Afterall, we are takiing the photo's for the people and what they want/like, not other photographers right? So with that said, I'm def. not a pro/proam or even a very good amateur photog, but I feel I can give my opinion and hopefully it helps with the photo that is posted for improvement.

I'm here to enjoy the photo's people present, but also to LEARN from others and get ideas on how to improve all aspects of a photo.

Just figured I'd throw this out as sometimes I'd like to post a critique but back out as it seems people really don't want critique and are just happy to hear, "nice photo", instead.

Comments

• j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Agree? Disagree? Don't care? What? ne_nau.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    no feedback?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    I agree. My only issue is that I'm not particularly good at expressing what I want to say when giving feedback, so I am often very frustrated when doing it (thus, giving feed back less often so as to be less frustrated).

One comment though, many many people put C&C welcome/encouraged/appreciated/etc in their threads (myself included) however that does not appear to encourage/invite/cause-to-happen much in the way of C&C. It usually takes one or two people commenting first to get the ball rolling.

Just my 2 cents
    Travis
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 22, 2008
    It's always tough to compose what I think will be
    both meaningful and beneficial to the OP.

Another thing I've noticed is that time of day and
    even day of the week can affect when folks respond.

Just a thought.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Quite frankly I whole-heartly agree with you. I belong to an exclusive-private forum in which we give each other our honest opinions. I believe in order to give each other, not necessarily brutually honest opinions, but opinions that involve critiques to help further and beautify our passion for photography.

I for one love photography, it's been in me since I was a little girl, and it will continue to be a big part of me.

Perhaps instead of CC's we need another type of acronym...like need your "BHO"...meaning...Need your Brutally Honest Opinion. I for one am thick skinned and can take it. I know in the long run it might help me

Thanks.
    Seneca
  • DNagataDNagata Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    As an art student who has to sit through hours of critique every few weeks, I am very pro constructive-criticism, because that's what I'm used to. ;) It's always nice to hear viewers like your work, but good critique is so much more valuable in the long run! I joined this forum after lurking for a while because the level of critique here was so much more than other photo communities I have been a member of.

Encourage critique! Giving good critiques can only be improved by practice, anyway. thumb.gif

I'll be sure to include a request for C&C in my future photo posts!
  • LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    I think critiques are helpful to everyone - including the person making the comments. It takes some thought and effort and even practice to give good feed back.

To say that you are a beginner or that you can't form your thoughts well is a cop out (being brutally honest here). If you like a shot, figure out what attracts you, if you don't like it, why not.

The more thoughtful critiques you make, the better you will get at it, and the more you will learn yourself. Just like taking pictures...

My two cents - and more than it's worth!
    Lisa

PS I wish we didn't have to ask for c&c.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    LCD wrote:
    PS I wish we didn't have to ask for c&c.

After reading this thread, I added a line to my signature, just to make it clear and remind folks that's what I'm after! :D
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Good thread.

This is an area I do have an issue with. It's tough for me, and I know it's gotta be tough for others as well when you have 87 views, and no comments.

Everyone has their own unique view, and you can see it in there posts. Even a simple yes, no, thumbs up, thumbs down is helpful.

Many are technical, and some like Gus are short and sweet. I like Gus's input because he will, and has commented many times on my images, and say he doesn't like it, or it doesn't do anything for him.

That is soooooo much better than nothing or some undeserved accolade.

The short and sweet comments let you know if over all people like, or find something in your image. The more technical comments will allow you to ether improve on this shot or provides good info to remember when you try for a similar shot. Together they are very helpful, and constructive. Heck, even a Eh? (neutral comment) would help.

Fresh eyes, with a different view are priceless.

Lets all, (Me too) try to contribute where we can!

Sam
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    good to hear
    There has been a few times when I wanted to say something about a shared photo but have stopped myself because I think " hey just 3 months ago I didn't know what an aperture was so who wants to hear what I have to say about their photo" especially since I still have a hard time grasping the technical terms or technical reasons why I do or do not like the photo. But, now after reading this thread, maybe I will force myself to start making comments...
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."