Coming Soon...it's gonna be a boy.. Maternity Shoot

ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
edited January 23, 2008 in People
My studio is now officially ready for shooting clients! Yay! I have spent the last year looking for a place to shoot and I did it! I got the keys a couple weeks ago and have been putting the space together. Not quite 100% finished, but, ready enough to shoot in as of this week. It's about 2-3 weeks down the road before I work there full time.:barb C&C Welcome..these are straight out of the camera - 5D - 24-70 250@7.1

Anyway, I did my first Maternity Shoot today:

246346770-M.jpg

246348256-M.jpg
Kathy Rappaport
Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
http://flashfrozenphotography.com

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 23, 2008
    Congrats on getting the studio up and running and on your first shots.
    They look good.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    The shots look great, but mostly, congratulations on your new studio!!!! How cool is that!!! clap.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    My studio is now officially ready for shooting clients! ...

Yay! Congrats! Nice shots! clap.gif
    Now wating for the Grand Opening! ;-) mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    I would smooth out the pregnancy line in photoshop. Very easy fix. And just watch the necklace next time...the clasp is in the front. Is that a baseboard to the left of the pic? Can you heal that out? Sorry I look at everything - it's a disease. rolleyes1.gif
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    Thank you
    Thank you all for looking.

Seneca - good catch, I missed the baseboard and the clasp and I was not sure about healing over the line...but, it does make sense to do that.

It's the C&C that makes us better photographers!
    Kathy Rappaport
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    It's the C&C that makes us better photographers!

Another C&C piece for you: in the second shot the lady looks up so hard it make her forehead wrinkle...ne_nau.gif
    Gausiaan Blur/Healing Brush would do for now, but that's something to pay attention to in the fututre... mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    I don't know that I agree about "erasing" the belly line. Seems a lot like cloning out a mole or beauty spot to me. I mean, it's not a zit. I'd ask my client before I presumed to do that . . . not that I've ever done a maternity session.
    (edit)
    Whoops! Forgot to say how much I liked the shots. And Woo-hoo on your studio!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    Congrats on your studio! clap.gif These are two lovely shots!

I like the perspective on the second shot, but I agree with Nikolai on the forehead wrinkle.

If the belly line in question is one caused by a clothing seam, then I would agree to clone it out. Otherwise, I'd leave any pregnancy marks in.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    More shots
    Thanks - good point on the forehead...I have other shots I will check out - I liked the DOF to her bump on that one - otherwise, I will erase those lines on her forehead. I was so thrilled to be in studio, thinking mostly about composition and settings and nailing the light that I forgot about nit picking some of the details.

I want these for my portfolio, so I may clone out the pregnancy line for me but give her the option. They are straight out of camera - No adjustments at all - no color, sharpening - only a few even needed some minor crops.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    Congrats on your studio!! I'm sure you will be successful.

These shots are a good start. I really like the first shot. The lacy top and the belly/baby protruding and the mother's hands cradling. Very nice. And I didn't notice the details that Seneca pointed out. (See we all learn from the feedback).

I'm not crazy about the second shot. The posture/expression looks like we are interupting. Her hands are shut and she looks a little uncomfortable and the shot makes me uncomfortable - minimally. I would have her open her hands, maybe lay them on her stomach and try a slightly different point of view so that her head is at a more natural angle. And maybe have the belly more in focus, there is quite a contrast in focus between her face and her belly.

I think that pregnancy shots are very difficult, and I'm just guessing with these suggestions.

Best of luck to you in your new indevour! thumb.gif
    Lisa
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    Hey !! Congrats on opening of the studio - awesome news !
    Web site is looking great !
    Ok - love the first picture - excellent color and great outfit.....
    Keep up the good work - jr