My first shot at the moon =)

ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
edited January 23, 2008 in Landscapes
Went home from the gym last night...It was darn cold so i was running. Looked up and what do i see?..Fullmoon..I ran in and grabbed my tripod and my 400 mm.

Since the lens is like a steel drainpipe it gets very cold. So i just took like 5 exposures.

246455080-XL.jpg

exif:

iso 100, 1/100 sec, spot measuring, F/22

Comments

• Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    Went home from the gym last night...It was darn cold so i was running. Looked up and what do i see?..Fullmoon..I ran in and grabbed my tripod and my 400 mm.
    Since the lens is like a steel drainpipe it gets very cold. So i just took like 5 exposures.
    exif:
    iso 100, 1/100 sec, spot measuring, F/22

Well arvan, since you havent said anything claiming otherwise, I'll assume you posted this photograph here for critique. First off, you really are shooting way too slow for a 400mm lens, even when youre shooting on a tripod with vr... you should try to use a faster shutter speed at night.. its jsut a good practice to do.

Secondly, the picture is way too soft. maybe you should have shot at a larger aperture, because this is probably diffraction setting in, which makes the moon look like it was shot with a toy lens. A larger aperture would have also allowed you to shoot handheld, or at least fast enough to hand hold it, and get a sharper image.

anyway, thats all I can think of, but its a nice first try for a shot of the moon :P.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    Mike02 wrote:
    Well arvan, since you havent said anything claiming otherwise, I'll assume you posted this photograph here for critique. First off, you really are shooting way too slow for a 400mm lens, even when youre shooting on a tripod with vr... you should try to use a faster shutter speed at night.. its jsut a good practice to do.

Secondly, the picture is way too soft. maybe you should have shot at a larger aperture, because this is probably diffraction setting in, which makes the moon look like it was shot with a toy lens. A larger aperture would have also allowed you to shoot handheld, or at least fast enough to hand hold it, and get a sharper image.

anyway, thats all I can think of, but its a nice first try for a shot of the moon :P.

I tried it handhelt at first. Allthough it didnt work out at all...And i didn´t mention the clouds which were ifront of the moon. You don´t see em here but you did IRL..I agree it´s soft..Im a sharp guy otherwise hehe. But i will do another try when it´s up again and without them thin clouds.