Brook Waterfall

MojomanMojoman Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited January 25, 2008 in Landscapes
This is my first post in this section. Please critique as I love to learn. It's a small waterfall near my house that used to power a mill and it's called Beaver Brook.
242217527-M.jpg

Comments

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    I think that you have a well exposed shot with some nice color and some great photographic elements (waterfall, foliage, sky, brick architecture...etc...)

I might suggest moving the horizon in the photo from dead center in the frame - that can make a more appealing landscape at times. I might also suggest (if possible) grabbing this shot from a slightly lower angle and maybe isolating the waterfall a bit more in the scene......there are a lot of things that draw your eye in this frame.

Polarizing filter may have been able to give you a deeper blue in your sky.

I like it. Thanks for posting it.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • glassandgear.comglassandgear.com Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    Hey, wait a minute, I know that waterfall. I grew up about 2 miles from there in Pelham. Nice shot though, much more scenic then I remember it. I would second the polarizing filter to deepen the sky a bit.
    http://www.glassandgear.com

Professional Photography Rentals
  • MojomanMojoman Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Thanks for the C&C. Jason, if you lived in Pelham than you definitely know this waterfall. Thanks again for the comments.
  • TheMightyZogTheMightyZog Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Hum - a well exposed and presented image, but something is not adding up and I cant put my finger on it.

Is the yellowtinted water or the concrete on the right, or just the perfect colour, but no zap - could be not enough contrast.

Could be the composition, having the main body of water 1/2 way up the image instead of on a 1/3rd.

Sorry I cant help, but next time you take it try being 10ft higher and include more reflections in the water - stick the camera on timer at the end of a help tripod (and hope!).
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    The basic image looks good but to my eye it looks a little flat. I think if you adjusted Curves a little in Photoshop (or equivalent software) you would be able to get the trees and the other colors to pop a little more. The waterfall does show a little tilt down to the left but I don't know if that's the way it is or a tilted camera. The concrete on the right seems straight.