Newbie here!

bonneville54bonneville54 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited March 23, 2004 in Wildlife
Wow, I just discovered this site from Fishie's link at Advrider and this is very nice. I haven't a friggin clue about what I'm doing, photographically speaking, and can tell I'll learn a lot here.

Heres a couple of my fave's...er accidents. All criticism graciously accepted and desired. First one taken by freebie camera given by Gateway with purchase of computer, the second with a Canon G3

1178709-M-1.jpg

1502640-M.jpg

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 22, 2004
    Wow, I just discovered this site from Fishie's link at Advrider and this is very nice. I haven't a friggin clue about what I'm doing, photographically speaking, and can tell I'll learn a lot here.

Heres a couple of my fave's...er accidents. All criticism graciously accepted and desired. First one taken by freebie camera given by Gateway with purchase of computer, the second with a Canon G3

1178709-M-1.jpg

1502640-M.jpg
    Nice lines in both pics. Good color too.... Welcome aboard! Horizon in 2nd image might be slighly higher to emphasize reflections morelickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2004
    I don't think I'd call those accidents. Both are very nice images. The first one is pretty darn good for a freebie camera!

A couple ideas on these two:

In the first image - A bit more saturation in the color might add something. Also I think the composition would be a little bit stronger if you had moved just a little to your right (without getting hit by a passing car). I think a small move to the right would have helped to pull the road out away from the trees on the left side of the picture. Also you would loose some of the gravel sholder/ side road that shows up in the bottom left had corner. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing.

I think the second image is spot on in terms of color, exsposure and depth of field. I think it needs a little help in the composition department. First I find the dark shape along the bottom half of the right edge of the picture distracting. Second I think the image would be stronger with some of the sky cropped out. You've got some really great clouds, but above the clouds the sky becomes predominantly blue with some wisps of color on either side. By cropping some of the sky you would place more emphasis on the stronger elements of the picture.

Most importantly.... Welcome, and keep up the good work thumb.gif
  • peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    I think the second image is spot on in terms of color, exsposure and depth of field. I think it needs a little help in the composition department. First I find the dark shape along the bottom half of the right edge of the picture distracting. Second I think the image would be stronger with some of the sky cropped out. You've got some really great clouds, but above the clouds the sky becomes predominantly blue with some wisps of color on either side. By cropping some of the sky you would place more emphasis on the stronger elements of the picture.

Most importantly.... Welcome, and keep up the good work thumb.gif

emmmmh.. ???
  • peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2004
    Sorry and Yeah , welcome.... !!!!!
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2004
    Hiya bonneville54! wave.gif

Nice shots.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited March 22, 2004
    peachmaan wrote:
    emmmmh.. ???
    Yep. That's pretty much what I had in mind.
  • ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2004
    Welcome bonneville54 :D .

Tim
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2004
    Welcome Bonneville, looking forward to seeing more of your shots.

Lynnthumb.gif
  • TJAmyTJAmy Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2004
    Welcome
    I am very new to this site also. So I feel a little strange welcoming you, but I just wanted to say "Nice Pictures". I think the cropped version of the sunset would like nice on a wall somewhere. What are ya shootin' with?

P.S. From one newbie to another, things get kind of crazy around here.blbl.gif
    edited March 22, 2004
    TJAmy wrote:
    P.S. From one newbie to another, things get kind of crazy around here.blbl.gif
    Don't worry about ol' bonneville. Anyone who's hungout around ADVRider is plenty tough for this neighborhood!
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2004
    welcome...

I wish my accidents looked this good. Heck sometimes I wish the ones I took on purpose looked this good.
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2004
    If I may, I actually think that the crop takes away from the image as a whole. The sky itself (non-reflected) is an important component of the image.

Greetings from another noob whose drifted in, but from Googleland.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited March 22, 2004

Welcome to the other asylum :)

Nice shots too.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • bonneville54bonneville54 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 23, 2004
    Thanks!
    fish wrote:
    Hiya bonneville54! wave.gif

Nice shots.
    Hey Fish! and thanks all for the welcome. I'm amazed at the images here really want to learn more. The Canon G3 was a Christmas present and I find myself toting the manual around in order to learn it's capabilities and trying the different settings. As an interesting note, the camera was a great deal - a "grey market" camera - wonderful price, about a $100 bucks saved, but the manual was in Japanese! As Steve Martin said of the French, " They have a different word for everything!". Worked out though, as I contacted Canon USA and they sent me an English manual. Love the "assignment" thing too as it helps nick my addled brain to action.

Also, I've a 12 year old son ( going on 35 eek7.gif ) who is really into photography, video production and the like. I've encouraged him to join the group as his stuff is much nicer than mine. That OK? No minimum age here, I hope.

Be well.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    Also, I've a 12 year old son ( going on 35 eek7.gif ) who is really into photography, video production and the like. I've encouraged him to join the group as his stuff is much nicer than mine. That OK? No minimum age here, I hope.

Be well.
    No problem...this place is pretty well G-rated (well, maybe a leeetle PG, but not much).
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    fish wrote:
    No problem...this place is pretty well G-rated (well, maybe a leeetle PG, but not much).
    Heads up guys and girls... child to enter forumdeal.gif :nono hard drinking to be kept to a minimun, no late nights, bad language fobotton, no nudes, (inluding my own bear nudes) secret codes only...no burping out loud.
    Lynnma1drink.gif