Options

In memory of Catharine . . .

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited March 22, 2005 in Landscapes
I'll categorize this under "architecture" but it may fit better under another category.

Walking through an Amish/Mennonite cemetary in Lancaster county, PA when the setting sun peeked through the clouds and gave me some great light.

Opinions welcome!

17719433-M.jpg

john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments

• Options
    gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    I'll categorize this under "architecture" but it may fit better under another category.

Walking through an Amish/Mennonite cemetary in Lancaster county, PA when the setting sun peeked through the clouds and gave me some great light.

Opinions welcome!

17719433-M.jpg

That is an amazing capture. It has a very strange, mysterious feel to it.

regards,

Gary
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Exactly what I felt, when I looked at it

Mysterious thumb.gif
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    Great shot. I love the feel of this one.thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    Thanks for the positive replies.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    Nice shot i like it. I think one thing for me that helps it be so mysterious is not only is it lit but if you look behind it none of the other tombstones have names on that side. So it almost makes it seem like that tombstone is lighting up like she wants you to read it....eerie :):
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Nice shot i like it. I think one thing for me that helps it be so mysterious is not only is it lit but if you look behind it none of the other tombstones have names on that side. So it almost makes it seem like that tombstone is lighting up like she wants you to read it....eerie :):
    Yes, that's the same thing I saw when I took the shot . . . virtually all the stones are blank (actually they face the other way for some strange reason) and yet the "catharine" headstone was boldly standing out.

Now, I did do a little post processing to accentuate the way the light was highlighting "catherine's" headstone (burned in the background highlights a bit).

Thanks
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Options
    Lg-annLg-ann Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    eery..to say the least..very nice shotclap.gif