Options

(filter for) tokina 12-24 wide angle

gracenrichgracenrich Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited January 27, 2008 in Accessories
:clap I just purchased a Tokina 12-24 wide angle lens.
Any suggestions as to what filter if any?
I wii use a clear uv to protect the lens.
Thank You

Comments

• Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    I purchased the Hoya Pro1 D for mine. It works well.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    any filter you put on will degrade your image somewhat......for very minimal protection.....and not to mention tht dirt and dust will get on you lense as the threads are not truly sealed and then there is the problem of a filters threads seizing to the threads of the lens.......... has happened to me before I tossed the filters and just started carrying good cleaning towellets (zeiss lens cloths) and micro fibre cloths for field cleaning.

Your lens hood should give you the protection you need.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 23, 2008
    What Art said....

Plate glass filters are particularly detrimental to extreme wide angles, much more so than mild telephotos.

I carry a microfibre cloth in each of my camera bags
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    I also prefer to not use one on mine, but if you must, my suggestion is the B+W MRC 010 UV found here.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    I had that lens for a while. It's pretty nice and built solid.
    As for filters, if you want a UV filter for protection, a normal thickness one is fine. Consider getting a regular thickness multicoated one to reduced chances of increasing flare. Hoya, B&W, and Heliospan are commonly recommended brands. Personally, I don't use UV filters for protection vast majority of times. Only when I don't want to use a hood or expect a lot of stuff to fly around do I use a UV filter.

As for other filters, I'd recommend getting a circular polarizer. I had a regular thickness Hoya polarizer and it would vignette at 12mm so I had to zoom back to 13mm to get rid of that. So I'd recommend getting a thin polarizer which unfortunately is more expensive. If you can find a regular thickness polarizer that isn't as thick as the Hoya version, that may be cheaper and not vignette as well.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    As for filters, if you want a UV filter for protection, a normal thickness one is fine.
    Woops...not true!!! The front glass of this lens protrudes a lot and can hit a regular filter, leading to scratches on the filter or the lens. I had to take the lens to a shop and test several brands of filters in order to find one which does not make contact with the front glass. Furthermore, regular filters can lead to vignetting. After much try and error, I bought a slimline filter from Hoya.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    What lens are you talking about? The front element, while deeply curved, is set far enough back that the filter should fit fine. I know my B+W filters fit without any issue, and cause no vignetting. That's a standard UV and CPL.

The Sigma is the lens with the protruding front element. That's part of why I didn't go with it.
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    There are some who think you shouldn't put a polarizer on an ultrawide but if you aren't one of those, I'd reccomend One of these.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I used a regular thickness Hoya UV filter on the tokie without a problem or vignetting. Only with the regular thickness (green entry level labeled) Hoya polarizer did I get vignetting at 13mm. It seems weird that a UV filter would scratch the front element if everything is working fine.
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I have the Sigma 10-20mm. I purchased a cheap CP, only because I didn't have time to pick up a quality filter. That was money wasted. I've been contemplating the Cokin filters. I think I'll go with a ND set, instead the polarizer. But I've not made that final decision.

The Cokin's are inexpensive, and I've read a lot of good things about their performance. Also, you don't have to worry about it touching your lens, etc. I plan to hand hold mine, but they offer a holder if you want that as well.

Dale
  • Options
    Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    What lens are you talking about? The front element, while deeply curved, is set far enough back that the filter should fit fine.
    Tokina 12-24mm F4 (IF) DX. The scratched filter was the Cokin UV-MC 77 mm. After much trial and error, I now use a B+W 77 SLIM 010 without problems (without contatc between front lens glass and filter). In my first posting I erroneously mentioned a Hoya flter.