Options

I ordered this just now, and........

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited March 18, 2005 in Accessories
332749.jpg Bogen / Manfrotto
682B (3230) Professional Monopod (Black) with 3229 Swivel/Tilt Head ...moreinfo.gif
B&H #BO682B3229shim.gif Our Price:

Sub Total:

Quantity:

Remove:

$109.00 $ 109.00
access.gifshim.gifcart_divide.gifshim.gif179175.jpgBogen / Manfrotto
3157N Quick Release Mounting Plate (RC2 System) with 1/4-20" Screw - ...
moreinfo.gif
MFR #3157N • B&H #BO3157Nshim.gif Our Price:

Sub Total:

Quantity:

Remove:

I ordered the Farmer bag. Would anyone believe me now if I were to say I am broke.

I saw Danielle with a monopod, well, I figured if Danielle could do it........
I Have tried to reach her, and I am sure I will hear. But I needed to know where my finances were. So I went to BH, I got the best one they carried.

I tried to copy it at the top of this.

Now I need a rookery, and a reliable car. I wonder if I can find a rookery. We certainly have low country, water, marsh, etc. for it.

ginger

(hope I don't have to wait long on this stuff, just hope I don't, smile)
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Enjoy it Ginger!!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Hey Ginger,

Congrats on the monopod. Thats the same set-up I have.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    of course you're broke, you keep spending $$ on camera gear, like many of us lol3.gif

16540557-Ti.gif

i'm glad you got a monopod. you should be on your way to sharper pics real soon!
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    of course you're broke, you keep spending $$ on camera gear, like many of us lol3.gif

16540557-Ti.gif

i'm glad you got a monopod. you should be on your way to sharper pics real soon!
    Hey Andy,

remember when
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Andy,

remember when

hell yes. and that was when i *only* had a rebel and a fifty 1.4. and the sony 828.

oh and guess wat - i just re-bought a rebel, for infrared conversion - maxmax is doing a new special mod on it for me and i'm taking it to yosemite. clap.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Oh Ginger, I can't believe you ordered a monopod. What a mistake! Is it too late to cancel the order?

naughty.gif

Just kidding. Nice move, it will help you with the 300 big time!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 18, 2005
    so you got the monopod with the little feet, eh? will anyone tell me what those are good for? I can't imagine they could support more weight than the pod itself...

ne_nau.gif

way to go ginge, it's an addiction. You're gonna love that bag too thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Very nice purchase Ginger.

Hope you guys don't mind a question.

Would this bennefit my Sony 717 with 1.7 Sony TCon? Or am I better off with a Tri-Pod? If so... which do you recommend?

Thanks,

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    so you got the monopod with the little feet, eh? will anyone tell me what those are good for?
    It's not to have the pod behave like a tripod where you can set the camera on "timer" and let go of your equipment, if that's what you mean. A regular monopod only deals with vertical movement. Next to that, there's also horizontal movement and the movement from and towards you. The little feet should help dealing with that movement. Dunno how effective they are, since I never tried one in real life. Am just looking into monopods myself right now...
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Congrats, Ginger. Just got one here myself, from one of our own. It is fast becoming my new buddy. Can tell right away it makes a difference. Will post some piccies If the rain will allow!! thumb.gif In fact here chk this out:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=77986#post77986

the picture of my dog (Schnooig) was shot (call it a test) with my new buddy and the camera in digital zoom and we all know how digital zoom usually sucks!! thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    Very nice purchase Ginger.

Hope you guys don't mind a question.

Would this bennefit my Sony 717 with 1.7 Sony TCon? Or am I better off with a Tri-Pod? If so... which do you recommend?

Thanks,

Steven
    Tripod. The reason a monopod will help Ginger is because she has a 300mm lens that she needs help steadying. A monopod is no way a substitute for a tripod. BTDT
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Tripod. The reason a monopod will help Ginger is because she has a 300mm lens that she needs help steadying. A monopod is no way a substitute for a tripod. BTDT
    Thanks Waxy

BTDT?
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 18, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    monopods are only good when you have a lot of weight to hold up... I don't think there's anything you could add on to the Sony (save a boat anchor) to make it unmanageable. Don't waste money on a monopod in that case.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    monopods are only good when you have a lot of weight to hold up... I don't think there's anything you could add on to the Sony (save a boat anchor) to make it unmanageable. Don't waste money on a monopod in that case.
    gotta disagree here, ne_nau.gif. I am finding anything that helps stabilze camera/lens heavy or not is a big +. Helps me compose (myself as well as camera). But just ya know MHO. :):
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    I would imagine that a tripod would be the first choice. I have a tripod.
    Presumably the monopod will be easier for me to carry around, lean on, sleep on, etc. I start walking and don't know where I am going to end up, I don't plan, set up, etc.

I am just hoping that for the way I shoot, with what I shoot, a long heavy 300L with an extender on it, into the evening, that a monopod will help.

I am shooting birds, they move, therefore a monopod, if I shot landscapes near my car, or was stronger, a tripod would work.

This is a joke, but it is like any famous person. I was resisting until I saw The GReat Danielle (a very good photographer whom I admire) using a tripod in a photo yesterday. I figure, haha, that if I get a monopod like Danielle's, my photos will look like hers.rolleyes1.gif

Maybe she should get this stuff free, be paid to use/wear it, etc.

Andy? Do they do that for photographers?

g
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 18, 2005
    Although I don't recommend you do this, you can also carry your
    camera over your shoulder. Like this:

12520445-M.jpg

I do it but I also keep the camera strap around my hand as well.

Why shouldn't you do this? The bolt that holds the lens on the
    monopod may eventually break. Leaving your gear in a heap
    on the ground :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    Thanks Waxy

BTDT?
    Been There Done That. :D
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Although I don't recommend you do this, you can also carry your
    camera over your shoulder. Like this:

12520445-Th.jpg

I do it but I also keep the camera strap around my hand as well.

Why shouldn't you do this? The bolt that holds the lens on the
    monopod may eventually break. Leaving your gear in a heap
    on the ground :D

Ian

I definitely don't recommend that you do that. I dropped a videocamera once that was supposedly safely attached to a tripod. :bluduh
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

I am just hoping that for the way I shoot, with what I shoot, a long heavy 300L with an extender on it, into the evening, that a monopod will help.

Ginger, just make sure you attach your monpod to the lens, not your camera. The lens has a collar with a place to attach the monopod.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 18, 2005
    Hi Ginger!

The monopod will help improve those shots with the long lens.

As Waxy's said, be sure and use the tripod collar on the lens and not
    the camera body--the body would be fine for a short lens, like the 24-70,
    that doesn't have a collar.

Another hint is to use one hand for operating the camera and the other
    for stabilizing the lens. I place my left hand on top of the lens. Depending
    on the lens, it could be the lens shade or end of the lens.

Good luck and enjoy your new monopod.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Ginger, just make sure you attach your monpod to the lens, not your camera. The lens has a collar with a place to attach the monopod.
    Thanks, Sid, I hadn't thought of that, it is helpful. I keep the camera strap around my neck and my camera in hand. I don't know about with a tripod.

Over ten years ago, my husband was standing in the shallow water at the ocean, just letting the camera dangle from his neck by the strap. The camera belonged to the company he worked for, it was a Nikon.

We all know that the camera strap broke or came undone. The camera ended up a dead salty camera in the ocean. He spent months paying the company back.

I am paranoid re that. I was before that happened. Yet I see photos of Andy et al walking along with their camera around their neck. Sometimes I have to let go, but I am not comfortable at all without a backup, me and the strap.

ginger
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    J: It all depends on what type of shooting you are doing.

H: A tripod is definitely more versatile, but has a much larger footprint, is heavier, and less mobile. Most folks start out with a tripod, but there are no hard and fast rules.

J: I have a Manfrotto "Automatic" Monopod. Adjustment is one-handed, lightning quick, with zero hassle.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5523&is=REG

H: I added the 484RC2 Ballhead (has a quick release plate).
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=272757&is=REG
    J&H