The Canon 450D/XSi is here

InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
edited February 5, 2008 in Cameras
It looks like someone at dpreview is up early today/tomorrow. The Canon 450D is here. Lots of new this and that plus bigger and more pixels than the 400.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012404canoneos450dhandson.asp

IMHO, nothing to get excited about but some nice (and some sensible), competitive incremental improvements in there (pretty much in line with everyone else) and IMO nothing to get recent 400D buyers crying into their beer.

Comments

• jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Interesting. I see it is slightly larger than the 400D. If I remember correctly, weren't both the 350D (XT) and 400 (XTi) both smaller than the original 300D? That makes this one more the Digital Rebel's size then.

SD - not a bad idea for a consumer camera since it is the standard for P&S. I'm not sure 12+megapixels is such a good thing on a sensor this size. But I'm sure that is what the market wants!
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    SD - not a bad idea for a consumer camera since it is the standard for P&S. I'm not sure 12+megapixels is such a good thing on a sensor this size. But I'm sure that is what the market wants!

I don't think an extra couple of megapixels will strain Canon's already very good noise management but I'm not sure I see the point of increasing this figure in the first place.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    anyone notice the direct print button also appears to be a white balance button now, not just a separate waste of space button?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Nice!
    Well, I hope this means we'll be getting a whole new 6D (or 5DMkII) this Fall :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Well, the K200D is even more attractive now. ne_nau.gif
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    I don't need it, but I think it's nice.
    I like the way it looks the most.
    I think 12MP is too much for the APS-C sensor, as they now have noise reduction selection and such to deal with the noise.

From what I've seen, looks like the Noise from RAW images of the 10MP CMOS of the 40D is noisier than the 30D or at best similar, but not better.

I'm not sure if noise control that improved that much that they can cram 12MP in there now and get similar noise levels. I guess we'll see when folks test it out.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice!
    Well, I hope this means we'll be getting a whole new 6D (or 5DMkII) this Fall :-)

PMA still isn't until next week. Oh, wait. I already own a 5D iloveyou.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    I don't need it, but I think it's nice.
    I like the way it looks the most.
    I think 12MP is too much for the APS-C sensor, as they now have noise reduction selection and such to deal with the noise.

From what I've seen, looks like the Noise from RAW images of the 10MP CMOS of the 40D is noisier than the 30D or at best similar, but not better.

I'm not sure if noise control that improved that much that they can cram 12MP in there now and get similar noise levels. I guess we'll see when folks test it out.

My suspicion is at least in part that 12 MP is a marketing ploy.

I've seen more than a few comparisons between the 400D (10 MP) and the 30D (8.2 MP), and the 30D seemingly gives better images.

Perhaps with DIGIC III, cramming more smaller pixels onto the same tiny sensor will achieve something.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
    edited January 25, 2008
    Glenn NK wrote:
    My suspicion is at least in part that 12 MP is a marketing ploy.

I've seen more than a few comparisons between the 400D (10 MP) and the 30D (8.2 MP), and the 30D seemingly gives better images.

Perhaps with DIGIC III, cramming more smaller pixels onto the same tiny sensor will achieve something.

I have the 400D and a 30D and the 30D gives cleaner RAW images and less noise is introduced when processing the image. So I kind of shuddered when I heard 12MP. I too think it's more of marketing thing more than anything, but that's the way things go in a free market system. I guess we'll have to wait for some official testing to see.
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    So all those 400D owners who have 15-20GB of CF cards will have to get rid of those?
    Thats like 200$ down the drain.
    Not a smart move.
    I wish camera makers innovate rather than cram in more megapixels and gimmicks

The K20D and K200D from pentax are actually a step forward, the 450D is just a gimmick to reclaim lost market share.

The funny thing is that the kit is not IS lens, to compete with the competition which have IS in body.

If the K20D can deliver the IQ of the canon in jpg too(unlike the K10 D which was lacking in post processing), it will become the best of the new breed.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    tsk1979 wrote:
    The funny thing is that the kit is not IS lens, to compete with the competition which have IS in body.
    "The other major change to the specification is the inclusion of a different kit lens (which we'd expect most people to buy). The standard 450D kit will include a redesigned, image stabilized version of Canon's 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens which will help it compete with the increasing number of competitors offering in-body anti-shake systems." From DPreview's hands on

If I hadn't bought the 40d last year, I might have bought this one, not because of the 12MP (which I think is a mistake), but rather the size. I like the size of the xxxD range.
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    My bad, I meant to say that the KIT is an IS lens.

40D is a better camera, but is it worth more than the K10D
    When I bought the 350D, it offered significantly more than the competition
    1. Amazing high ISO performance
    2. Great dynamic range
    3. Good IQ
    4. Nice Egronomics

Whats to diffrentiate the 450D from the competition? Nothing
    Pentax is bound to have equally good high ISO performance, and in feature space it beats the 450D hands down.

My prediction.
    Fighting a diminishing market share, canon will offer in body IS in entry level cams just to stave of the competition.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I am just surprised at how close to 40D specs it has: Live view, larger view finder, spot meter, 14 bit DAC, ISO in viewfinder, 3" screen.

Wow, that is quite an upgrade. I have been considering the 40D for its spot meter, larger viewfinder, ISO in viewfinder, 3" screen, etc, and now I find it on the XSi... what is Canon doing here?

CF vs SD is no big deal anymore.. esp as SD card are so cheap...heck I have so many for all the P&S, MP3 and other devices around the house. Sure I have lots of CF too, but not really an issue.

What the heck would a 50D offer?
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I think the increased megapixels was a knee-jerk reaction to the increasing sales of all the other brands in the consumer dslr lines (all of which have less expensive offerings - nikon, olympus, pentax, etc). I just wish this megapixel race would stop. I still use an 8 mp dslr, and am perfectly satisfied with it. Now I'm gonna have relatives and friends of my clients at weddings saying "Well my camera has 12mp and yours has 8mp, aren't you the pro?" I also have lots of clients ask me "how many mp is your camera" when they come in for information. People seem to think more mp somehow means a better photographer. Now I may have to upgrade just to deal with this stupid mp race. I wish for the well being of the pros that this race would end. I made beautiful 16x20 prints with my old 6mp camera.

I would prefer cameras with 6-8mp that could do extremely high ISO's with better results personally.

I am sick of this people! ugh...
    edited January 25, 2008
    tsk1979 wrote:
    So all those 400D owners who have 15-20GB of CF cards will have to get rid of those?
    Not a smart move.
    I wish camera makers innovate rather than cram in more megapixels and gimmicks

I think Canon would prefer 400D owners to upgrade to the 40D :).
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 25, 2008
    ... I just wish this megapixel race would stop. ...

I do too. In late 2006 I was approached by an engineer who saw me shooting with the 1D MKII and he wanted to know how many megapixels and what file sizes the camera produced. (He equated these two things to image quality?)

Fortunately, because he was also a very intelligent person and willing to learn, I was able to show him the qualitative and quantitative differences between 3 - 8 megapixel cameras:

Canon 1D MKII
    Canon XT/350D
    Minolta DiMage A2 digicam

The differences in perfect light were, frankly, not so much. The differences in poor light and the differences in shadow detail in poor light were very enlightening and clearly show the value of the image of the 1D MKII, even though that camera is now 4 years since it was introduced.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Hear! Hear!

Heck, I thought the 10MP sensors were a mistake. Now they've crammed another 2MP in the same area. Sigh. All that effort could have gone to making those 10 million pixels better pixels with less noise & wider dynamic range. Too many gimmicks, not enough core performance improvement--but that's not sexy on the brochure unfortunately. :cry

I am still perfectly happy with my ancient 8MP body and still intend to run it until it dies. Which seems to be a long way off. My intended upgrade? Another 8MP body, this one with a single-digit model name. :D
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    tsk1979 wrote:
    1. So all those 400D owners who have 15-20GB of CF cards will have to get rid of those?
    Not a smart move.

2. I wish camera makers innovate rather than cram in more megapixels and gimmicks

3. The K20D and K200D from pentax are actually a step forward, the 450D is just a gimmick to reclaim lost market share.

If the K20D can deliver the IQ of the canon in jpg too(unlike the K10 D which was lacking in post processing), it will become the best of the new breed.

1. I think the smart 400D owners won't buy the 450D, so it won't cost them anything.

2. Where else can innovations be made? I think the days of major improvements in the current sensor technology are over - the Bayer concept perhaps at or near it's limit. A very high percentage of buyers aren't knowledgeable about the limitations and problems with squeezing in more MP so they fall for it. It harkens to the somewhat analagous situation of continually increasing the horsepower of cars over last year's model - it's not needed at all, just costs more and lures in the buyers.

3. Pentax (and others) are bound to catch up because the sensors of the market leaders (Canon and Nikon) are approaching the limitations of the technology (see 2. above). This provides room for the others to advance, whereas Canon and Nikon have nowhere to go.

On the IS issue, I think Pentax is beating a dead horse - sure it will give you good stabilization at the shorter focal lengths, but where it's really needed (200 mm and higher), the movement required of the sensor is probably going to limit the effectiveness of body IS. Fortunately for them, a large segment of photographers don't go beyond this focal length, and many don't go beyond 100 mm (look at my list).
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    The features of the 450D are probably not targeted at XX0D users (like me and my XT) but at point-and-shoot owners looking at their first dSLR. Canon would probably expect and prefer that a Canon XX0D owner move up to the X0D series. That's the case with me at least, my XT does the job for me and the next meaningful upgrade would not be a XX0D body but the 40D or whatever X0D body is available when I have the budget to do it. There just isn't enough of an improvement all around to pay $800 again to get a 450D to replace my 350D.
    edited January 25, 2008
    Wow all this debate about an entry level DSLR.
    Forget the memory, "upgrading" from a 400 to a 450 if you didn't buy your 400D yesterday is not a smart move. Maybe if you need an extra body for some reason...
    Why would someone consider going from an entry Level DSLR to an entry level DSLR an "upgrade". Go to the next level, a 40D.

It's an entry level DSLR to get your feet wet!

This will be a tweak from the 400D and 350D, and a real upgrade from the 300 or P&S.

They did a slight upgrade from the 20D to the 30D and a lot of people were "disappointed" and upset cuz there was no jump in MP, etc, even on these forums.

You left out an "if" for "If the K20D and K200D from pentax are actually a step forward..."

We'll see soon enough...
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited January 25, 2008
    Actually, entry level dslr's are the biggest sellers (among dslr's).

Canon consistently has the Rebel XT and the XTi as Nikon has the D40 and D40x consistently show up in the top ten dslr's sold each month per PopPhoto.com.

So in terms of dollars and cents, entry level dslrs are the bread and butter of Canon's dslr division, so they should actually pay as much attention to the entry level bodies and then work on retaining their customers as they upgrade/if they upgrade.

Canon's Rebel XTi is the 6th best seller of all digical cameras (including point and shoots) at Amazon, so this attests to how popular these entry level dslr's are in terms of sales.

As for me, most digicams use SD cards, so it probably makes it easier for a transition for a digicam user to upgrade to a dslr. I take it that's why every one else uses SD cards for their entry level body.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I am a 400D owner in need of a second body. I would consider the 30D or 40D to fill that need. I have weighed all the specs and prices, and feel that for price, the 30D is a bargain and that may very well be the direction I lean when I make my purchase. I absolutely cannot "see" a difference between 8 or 10 megapixels. If you compare to a 6 megapixel...I can sometimes tell a difference, but I think it has more to do with poor noise control at the time the 6 megapixel cameras where built.

I do mainly portraits, and very little action/ sports type shots. My limitations with the 400D have been no 3200 ISO, and a max shutter speed of 1/4000. The shutter speed limit gets bumped into when trying to use wide aperature daylight portraits. I would also benifit from spot metering.

The 40D would be okay too....and is surely a nice body, but for the price and feature comparison the 30D looks like the best bargain out there for me right now.
    ne_nau.gif
  • Dusty SensibaDusty Sensiba Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Screen too big
    I have a digital rebel XT and a 20D.

I think the screen on the XT is about as big as it can be without sacrificing ergonomics. The 20D could use a bigger screen, like the 30D. I will probably eventually get a 30D but I think that's about as big as that body should have.

Big screens are nice, but they break. With some of the stuff I get into with my camera bodies, I don't want such a big screen.
  • djspinner2kdjspinner2k Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    New Canon Rebel Xsi
    the only part that I don't like is the fact that it doesn't take CF.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_digital_rebel_xsi.html
    EVGENY:D
    www.petrovphotography.com
    http://petrovphotography.smugmug.com

Canon 30D
    Canon 24-70mm F2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm F2.8L
    Canon 430EX Flash
  • BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    It looks like a really nice camera. I wouldn't upgrade to it, but it is nice if you are getting your first dSLR.
    edited January 30, 2008
    There's a thread on this already.
    Too bad it doesn't use both CF and SD like the 1D's.

dak.smugmug.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    I have a digital rebel XT and a 20D.

I think the screen on the XT is about as big as it can be without sacrificing ergonomics. The 20D could use a bigger screen, like the 30D. I will probably eventually get a 30D but I think that's about as big as that body should have.

Big screens are nice, but they break. With some of the stuff I get into with my camera bodies, I don't want such a big screen.
    Well here's an idea for you: make the WHOLE back of the camera a a screen (a la iPhone) and make all the rear controls virtual. rolleyes1.gif
    btw I love my 40D's 3" screens mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited January 31, 2008
    Hmmmm.... the iphone style interface with the strong glass touch screen could be the trick here. I have the iPod Touch and its user interface really is amazing. The first camera manufacturer to adapt that concept is onto a winner and, as much as I dislike them, I'm betting Sony as they've already tried similar with their point and shoot cameras.
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    your nose would always be pushing the buttons though.
    edited January 31, 2008
    f00sion wrote:
    your nose would always be pushing the buttons though.

Yeah..... Nothing like a reality check. I think something like this is coming though; if nothing else to cut the cost of moving parts...