Options

Pop Tutorial for Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP)

SCOTTinNJSCOTTinNJ Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited January 27, 2008 in Finishing School
I've been through the POP Tutorial by David Rosenthal and find it to be outstanding. However, right now Photoshop is not in the budget. Is there a way to do something "similar" with DPP? I do not believe that is has the ability to choose the black and white points like photoshop does, but perhaps there is a work-around?

If anyone knows it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I have never used DPP so I can't answer that question. As far as PS being to expensive have you looked into PS Elements. It's a smaller version of PS.

In Elements you can set the black and white points and you can find plugins to use curves in a limited way.

PSE 6 goes for around $100. You might be able to find PSE 5 for a little less now that PSE 6 has been launched.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SCOTTinNJSCOTTinNJ Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 26, 2008
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    I have never used DPP so I can't answer that question. As far as PS being to expensive have you looked into PS Elements. It's a smaller version of PS.

In Elements you can set the black and white points and you can find plugins to use curves in a limited way.

PSE 6 goes for around $100. You might be able to find PSE 5 for a little less now that PSE 6 has been launched.

Eric

Thank you. I will look into those options.
  • Options
    WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    I didn't reply to this when I first read it because I hoped someone else would have a better answer.

I'm unaware of a way to set black/white points in dpp. You can, however, click the 'tone curve assist' buttons under the RGB adjustment tab of the tool palette. They are the ones just to the right on the "B" icon above the curve box. In most of my images it makes them too bright. But then, you can manually adjust the curve by simply clicking and dragging. You can also drag the end points of the curves and the height/width of the range. Shift+click will set anchor points so you can make an S curve.

That technique is a bit less flexible as using photoshop but can add "pop" to some images.

Good luck! beer.gif