Options

getting photos off small CDs onto my iMac

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited January 25, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Hi folks,

Here's my problem. I have 20 or more mini-cds from my Sony Mavica camera, full of photos for 2004-2007. I need to get them loaded into Adobe Lightroom and onto my external hard drive.

The issue is that the drive and lightroom are all my iMac. Anyone with a white iMac knows that it has the combodrive slit rather than a tray. I've looked up on the apple website and it does not support putting a small disk into the drive.

Has anyone faced this problem and figured out a way around it? Am I going to need to buy an external CD-rom just to read these things or is there some sort of adapter?

My macbook has the same drive, so there's not even that option for me.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

~ Lisa
~ Lisa

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    If you have a local Apple store nearby, give them a call and see what they advise.

I have older Macs, and they have the smaller indent for small CDs.

I hope you find a solution.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    Dee wrote:
    If you have a local Apple store nearby, give them a call and see what they advise.

I have older Macs, and they have the smaller indent for small CDs.

I hope you find a solution.

Yeah, I've talked to Apple support and they said that the combo-drive doesn't support 2.5" disks. Very unhelpful.

It looks like I'll have to use my husband's PC - hook up the external hard drive, load all the photos onto it, then put it back on my iMac. What a pain.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Yeah, I've talked to Apple support and they said that the combo-drive doesn't support 2.5" disks. Very unhelpful.

It looks like I'll have to use my husband's PC - hook up the external hard drive, load all the photos onto it, then put it back on my iMac. What a pain.

If you have the original packing from your Mavica somewhere you might want to check and see if there is an adapter ring in there. I bought several CD-Mavicas for work, and they all came with an adapter ring to take the small cd up to full size...
    --Travis
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    Foochar wrote:
    If you have the original packing from your Mavica somewhere you might want to check and see if there is an adapter ring in there. I bought several CD-Mavicas for work, and they all came with an adapter ring to take the small cd up to full size...

It did have one, but I sold the camera and all original accessories when i got a dSLR.

Hmm. I had another Idea, I bet I could get all the photos from the CDs onto one Dual-layer DVD (on the PC) and load from that. :D
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    DO NOT put a mini-CD in an iMac's CD slot.

I did it, unfortunately. Mini-CD refused to load, and impossible to eject (even with the trick of restarting the iMac with mouse pressed down). In the end, I could eject the mini-CD by introducing a paperclip and sweeping down in the slot. This "triggered" something inside and the CD was ejected quite forcefully, making it jump right onto the floor.
    Afterwards the CD/DVD drive continues to work perfectly, but on ejecting, it really pops the disc out, trowing them forcefully away.