Self Portraits

atomicjadeatomicjade Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited January 25, 2008 in People
I almost don't want to post these in comparison to all of the gorgeous photos on here.. heh but anyway here's a few self potraits I took of myself. I feel like there's something missing from them, so if anyone could offer any advice for improvement I'd LOVE that. Also these pictures were taken in my room with a simple dome light, my camera is a 200 dollar P/S Minolta, and I certainly have no tripod. So bearing that.. let's do it!

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0019-1.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

thanks!

Comments

• TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Wow, Atomicjade,

In spite of your aplogies, these are actually rather compelling photos. I think the first stands out as the best--at least in my opinion. It's really a moody, pensive shot.

These could probably benefit from some post-processing, but that's arguable. You could correct the color (in camera or post) but I think the color cast adds some drama. Similarly, you could diffuse the light, or use something to reflect it, eliminating some shadows. Again, however, these might actually add to these shots.

You're attractive and daring--a good combination.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • rwdfresnorwdfresno Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    I really love the idea and feel of the lighting. I like the hard lighting, I think it creats a warm seductive mood, and I like the tone variations quite a bit in number 1. I think I would like number 1 a bit more if the light sorce was a tad bit further away so that you couldn't really recognise the immdeiate source (like number 3). Perhaps you could crop it a bit. Personally under most circumstances I don't like pictures in a corner where it creats a verticle line, especially when the line sort of comes up through the subject with an otherwise smooth surface. I think if you could restage so that the corner is cropped out ofthe photo and the light source was a bit farther away I think this could make for an absolutely beautiful photo. The fact that the camera absoultely loves you doesn't hurt either.

Ryan
    Ryan Davis
    my flickr
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    shadow in the eye is a bit distracting in the last shot. Simply turn your head a bit. oh and ..YOU ARE HAWT.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Hi, atomicjade
    Wow, Great job with the self portraits.bowdown.gif
    You will be awesome with a tripod and a good background.
    You should get into Modeling if, you are not already.
    Some times it is hard to get good photos in a low light like you did these.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    The first two are quite dramatic. A corner was the right place to pose. In the third, the piercing and the necklace show some continuity that I can appreciate. I look forward to some more self portraits!
    Growing with Dgrin

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    I think they would have been improved a lot by placing the camera about a foot higher. It appears to have been set at about belly height, and we're looking up at your chin (the last shot is more pleasing because you're looking down at the camera). The poses and model are very nice!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    I think a little work on the lighting placement and saturation would really make them pop. The subject mwink.gif , has a LOT of potential. Some great shots keep it up!

-Randy
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Let me just say, considering your "complaints" :D I think you did a fabulous job. I personally HATE self portraits with a passion (which is making my self portrait project for class REALLY irritating). I couldn't get a good self portrait with a tripod, Mark III, filters, etc. I just don't look good photographed.

That said, working with the lighting, as was said, will help. Maybe some more dynamic poses (unless you like that stoic atmosphere they create).

I played with photoshop a bit, maybe that's something else you could try, just some photo manipulations.
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    #2, what were you thinking about is all I keep asking. That's my fav of the 3.
    I'd agree about trying to play around with the light placement if possible (something I need a lot more practice with). Maybe a little higher for 1 & 2 and more light on the eyes in #3. In #3 maybe if you had pulled your hair back slightly on your left (like it is on your right side), it would have been a neater image.
    What's missing is a headshot of the beautiful model!
    I'm always behind the camera, but I have to force myself to do some self portraits soon.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • atomicjadeatomicjade Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Wow Laughing.gif thanks everyone so much for your compliments and critiques. I'm glad you all seemed to like them more than I anticipated eek7.gif.

I will certainly keep in mind what you all have said next time I try for photo's. It'd also be lovely when I can get a REAL camera too.. though mine has been holding up well.

I do have another picture.. though it's a bit different from these, I still like it.

PICT0242a.jpg
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    You can improve these by watching the positioning of your hands. The 3rd one especially. On the 3rd, you can crop out right above your hands and the photo highly improves for me.

I'd also suggest getting a good photo editor as these can be somewhat improved in post processing. Although, I didn't really care for ccpikre's redo over your original, personal taste.

Keep em coming!
  • rwdfresnorwdfresno Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    After looking at the pictures again, the corner doesn't bother me as much, once it is straightened. One thing that I never really paid much attention to before I came to this forum was making sure that any vertical or horizontal lines were squared with the edge of the picture. Now that my eyes have been opened to that I really have noticed what a difference it can make in the shot. Here I squared the corner and bumped up the exposure a bit to show a bit more detail. It is amazing what can be done with a good photo editing software package. Hopefully you don't me editing your picture but I just thought it was a decent way of demoing the squared corner. If it does bug you just PM me and I'll remove the edit.

In regards to a "REAL camera" I think many around the forum have demonstrated that you don't have to have an expensive SLR to take beautiful pictures. Your DiMAGE has f/2.8 wide open, decent user control, fairly sharp lens, and is a great tool to learn with.

Ryan
    After
    PICT0019-1.jpg

Before
    PICT0019-1.jpg
    Ryan Davis
    my flickr
  • atomicjadeatomicjade Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Yes I definately see what you are talking about, I do actually have the full version of Photoshop but I use it almost strictly for cropping and maybe a little bit of sharpening. I'm not really sure how to use other editing skills or when would be a good situation to do so.

As far as MODELING goes... I've actually always wanted to try it, but sort of wanted to try it with someone who is aspiring and wants to add to their portfolio or gain experience rather than me paying a bunch of money for someone (which quite honestly seems to me hardly guarantees the quality) so we would both kind of make out. SO I've just taken pictures of myself instead :D
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Not to sound creepy... but with your looks, you'd be able to find photog's that would be PAYING YOU, or doing the shoot and giving you prints or a cd of the shoot. Try signing up on model mayhem.
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Deff a TFCD or TFP shoot in her future. I list there at Model Mayhem and have done a few shoots as a result.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • KawguyKawguy Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 25, 2008
    Actually Jade I find your picture refreshing.