reverse lens macro - Colours

Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
edited January 25, 2008 in Holy Macro
Hi! have been practicing with reverse lens macro with the canon kit lens and today got a box full of old primes to try out so my day is made :D

thought i'd share my enthousiasm :wink

246923203-XL-1.jpg

246924450-XL.jpg

246925083-XL.jpg

246925957-XL.jpg

246927416-XL.jpg

Second day of trying sp C&C and tips are always welcome :D

more of my tryings can be found in this galery: http://chris-en-hils.smugmug.com/gallery/4210168/1/246924450#246924450
Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com

Comments

• matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Hi, I like yout photos, especially N4

do you mind me asking stupid question, what does reverse lens macro means?
    I can resist everything except temptation
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Hi matasa!

thanks! reverse lens macro is something i have just discovered on this forum on this thread

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47347&highlight=reverse+lens+macro

You take a lens, 28 to 50 mm and hold it against your camerabody the other way around. you have got adapter rings so you dont have to hold it yourself. turning the lens around causes an extreme magnification. read the thread above for more info and a great shot of a fly! bowdown.gif

i use the kitlens and a very old prime but i just love the shots i get out of it wings.gif
  • matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    thanks for explaining, sounds very interesting, I will try to take something with reverse lens macro :)
    I can resist everything except temptation
    edited January 24, 2008
    watch out! it's addicting! mwink.gif
  • PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    I actually saw those photos on your website before I saw this thread. They are excellent. thumb.gif I especially like #4 where the focus plane actually follows the path of the lines of color on the feather.

That's actually a very fascinating technique. I've never heard of it. I have a real macro now, as you saw earlier today, and I'm wondering if there's any benefit to using the Reverse Macro method versus a 100mm macro. Thoughts?

And I agree, Macros are very addictive.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Hey Chris,
    Thanks for breathing some life back into this topic. I was entry level DSLR shooter when I read that and I wanted to remember to do that when I got more notches under my belt (not that I'm any better at it now, I just know more stuff:D).

I ordered my reverse ring today and already have the light setup. I can't wat to get this from B&H and shoot everything in site!

Cool thing about this is it gives you stuff to shoot in the winter. Right now there's an old layer of snow that's half melted so there's not that much cool stuff to shoot outside.

Good shots BTW!

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    I agree #4 is the winner here, but all are nice!!! I have always meant to try this and somehow never have! :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Wow great shots especially for a first time!

I love the idea of macro photography but have no equipment. lol3.gif I tried the reverse lens thing but don't have the adapter rings which makes it very hard to stay focused. You got some really nice details here, and great colors. Can't wait to see more thumb.gif
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Love #4- good experimenting - advantage of using an old manual lens for this is you can easily set the aperture of the reversed lens. About the highest magnification you can get is about 3:1 with a lens around 30mm I think. You get focus or vignetting problems with anything smaller.

Brian V.
    edited January 25, 2008
    thanks all for your positive commenting!

focussing with the thin depth of field is a bit of a drag but it really opens your eyes, looking everywhere for textures and patterns. :D looking forward to the photos you get with the reverse ring macro schmooo and sloyerroll! clap.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Hi! have been practicing with reverse lens macro with the canon kit lens and today got a box full of old primes to try out so my day is made :D

thought i'd share my enthousiasm mwink.gif

Second day of trying sp C&C and tips are always welcome :D

more of my tryings can be found in this galery: http://chris-en-hils.smugmug.com/gallery/4210168/1/246924450#246924450

Hi Chris, I tried to use the reverse lens idea, but I struggled with it,
    and could not see for the love of it a decent image that I could focus.

Obviously I was doing it all wrong........ so I figured what the heck
    get a Macro Lens Skippy and just shoot rolleyes1.gif

So I gave up and got the Canon 100mm Macro.

You got some great detail, in those Peacock feathers.
    I give you 10 points for being patient enough to get this many shots too thumb.gif .... thanks for sharing .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin