Finally got my Macro Lens!

PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited January 27, 2008 in Holy Macro
Hey all, I'm new to the Macro Photography. I just bought my Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens a few weeks ago. Here are a few of the results I've had so far and http://pilznr.smugmug.com/gallery/4143794/2/242348541 is the link to my macro gallery. There's not much there yet though. Here are a few of my favorites. Please feel free to criticize. I can take the beating.

244250278-S.jpg

246849408-S.jpg

242348541-S.jpg

246849264-S.jpg

Comments

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    hey pilznr!

like the 3rd and 4th ones, the 3rd is a bit standard but still very nice, the fourth is very abstract and with very lush greens. i have to go with tennisball but it could well be a green meadow with white canal :D

congrats on your new lens! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Pilznr wrote:
    Here are a few of my favorites. Please feel free to criticize. I can take the beating.

I just love that tennis ball shot. At first glance I thought to myself "hey, that's not a macro!" because I thought it was a field with tall grass and a path. rolleyes1.gif

Great job on your first shots with the new lens. I am hoping to pick up that same lens soon (or borrow the one my friend has hehehe).
    ~ Lisa
  • PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Hey Chris, Thanks for the kind words. It is, in fact, a tennis ball. But my friend was standing behind me when he first saw it, and he also thought it was green pasture.

Dark Dragon, hope you get your lens soon, thanks for the comments!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Lovely series of shots- obviously having fun with the lens. Must admit #4 stumped me for a while :)

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Pilznr wrote:
    Hey all, I'm new to the Macro Photography. I just bought my Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens a few weeks ago. Here are a few of the results I've had so far and http://pilznr.smugmug.com/gallery/4143794/2/242348541 is the link to my macro gallery. There's not much there yet though. Here are a few of my favorites. Please feel free to criticize. I can take the beating.

Hi there Pilznr, and congratulations on the new lens.

I looked at the fourth shot and said to myself.....
    "what kind of grass grows like that " headscratch.gif then the penny dropped and I realized it was a tennis ball rolleyes1.gif

The Canon 100mm is a really sweet piece of glass,
    as I'm sure your finding out yourself.

Great series, enjoy your new Lens, and keep posting thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I really like the nail image. Very very interesting.
    edited January 26, 2008
    Pomegranate
    Here's a Pomegranate that I ate last night. I just a new one to my old thread instead of starting a new one. I didn't want to clog up the threads while still new to Macros. Is that Kosher? Or should I always post a new thread when I have new photos?

247336499-L.jpg
    EXIF: http://pilznr.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=247336499

I think it's just a touch out of focus. Probably because I didn't use a tripod. There's another shot here http://pilznr.smugmug.com/gallery/4143794/1/246849408#247336587

Comments?
  • VivaxVivax Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Love the detail on the flesh of the Pomegranate its almost like fractured glass.
  • AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    When you get close to 1:1 in macro your DOF get very thin so you need to keep you f stops to at least f8-f11. You can go smaller but you start to have the sharpness drop off. I have been using the 100MM Canon Macro for a while now and it is a great lens, one you will have a blast with as you learn how to get the best out of it.

I use almost exclusively a tripod with a cable shutter release and set the shutter to the mirror up option to reduce the amount of vibration/movement to an absolute minimum. At that level of macro it takes very little to put the sharpness off. Take longer to set up the shot, shoot less shots and enjoy the whole process, you will slow down and your results will improve dramaticly.

Keep posting your results,to the one thread if you wish,that way you will be able to look back soon and see how far you have come.
    edited January 27, 2008
    Aussieroo wrote:
    When you get close to 1:1 in macro your DOF get very thin so you need to keep you f stops to at least f8-f11. You can go smaller but you start to have the sharpness drop off. I have been using the 100MM Canon Macro for a while now and it is a great lens, one you will have a blast with as you learn how to get the best out of it.

I use almost exclusively a tripod with a cable shutter release and set the shutter to the mirror up option to reduce the amount of vibration/movement to an absolute minimum. At that level of macro it takes very little to put the sharpness off. Take longer to set up the shot, shoot less shots and enjoy the whole process, you will slow down and your results will improve dramaticly.

Keep posting your results,to the one thread if you wish,that way you will be able to look back soon and see how far you have come.

Thanks for your advice. I ordered a remote yesterday for this exact reason. I figured that the focus issue was probably due to movement. And you are right about slowing down. I really need to take that advice to heart and start doing it. I'm always looking for something quick and dirty, and in order to get better, I should start taking my time with it.

Thanks again.