edited January 26, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I may reshoot on a sunnier day, get some better quality. But meanwhile:

planetPrinceton.jpg
pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section

Comments

• PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    That's an Awesome photo. I don't think I have the patients to make one though.

Are you a grad student or something? I'm currently sitting across the street from the building. How weird. I work at McCarter.

Cool Photo.thumb.gif
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Whoa.. what a small world it is!! literally and.. I work in Green, Frick, and Friend center!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Hey Pyro,
    It's a very cool and well done shot. My only problem with it for the SF round is that it is a very 'gimmicky' shot. I first started seeing this done on Photosig and was blown away at first. Then when I looked at one guy's gallery of the same technique used over and over again, it started to lose much of its appeal. The way this one is shot, with the light fairly flat, also takes away any emotional impact of the shot except the coolness of the technique to make it. I think a reshoot would help with that.
    Just my thoughts. Hope they're helpful.
    E
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Pilznr wrote:
    That's an Awesome photo. I don't think I have the patients to make one though.

Are you a grad student or something? I'm currently sitting across the street from the building. How weird. I work at McCarter.

Cool Photo.thumb.gif

LoL no I'm actually a rutgers grad =c) but I work in princeton, so I shoot there now and again. That area seemed best for this type of shot =c)
    edited January 24, 2008
    Whoa.. what a small world it is!! literally and.. I work in Green, Frick, and Friend center!
    LoL nice =c)
    edited January 24, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Hey Pyro,
    It's a very cool and well done shot. My only problem with it for the SF round is that it is a very 'gimmicky' shot. I first started seeing this done on Photosig and was blown away at first. Then when I looked at one guy's gallery of the same technique used over and over again, it started to lose much of its appeal. The way this one is shot, with the light fairly flat, also takes away any emotional impact of the shot except the coolness of the technique to make it. I think a reshoot would help with that.
    E

They're my thoughts too. Unfortunately It was overcast, and I was shooting handheld (left the removable plate at work =c/) I'll try a reshoot. I have some other ideas, and I was hoping to go street shooting in NYC, but I'm not sure that's gonna happen. We'll see. Thanks for the feedback =c)
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    that's the first time I've seen this done - very neat! no one's done it in the challenge before - go for it! (but on a nicer day....)
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Yeah, I agree, a nicer sky would have way more impact in this photo, but I think the technique and Idea is awesome!! Im a big fan of fisheye style photos!!!
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    DeuceFour wrote:
    Yeah, I agree, a nicer sky would have way more impact in this photo, but I think the technique and Idea is awesome!! Im a big fan of fisheye style photos!!!

Just to chime in... my thoughts too - initial impression was "cool, but needs some blue sky in there"
    edited January 24, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    that's the first time I've seen this done - very neat! no one's done it in the challenge before - go for it! (but on a nicer day....)
    15524779-Ti.gif:D
    edited January 24, 2008
    DeuceFour wrote:

I've been itching to try this out since I've found out about it =c)
  • HaryHary Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    love it !
    i just love it :D sweet idea ;] good job
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    I'll chime in with the crowd and say that the white sky doesn't work. I think the idea has potential with a dramatic sky and good light, but I don't think the fishy stitching makes up for a mundane scene.
    edited January 24, 2008
    Hary wrote:
    i just love it :D sweet idea ;] good job
    Graci
    edited January 24, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I'll chime in with the crowd and say that the white sky doesn't work. I think the idea has potential with a dramatic sky and good light, but I don't think the fishy stitching makes up for a mundane scene.
    And once again I'll agree =c)
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Pyro, I'm afraid I agree with Eoren. Although the word 'gimmick' is a little strong. I've not seen this effect before but I think it's superbly executed.

But then again I'm going through one of my 'no post-processing' phases, so take my opinion with a pitch of salt.
    eoren1 wrote:
    Hey Pyro,
    E
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
    edited January 26, 2008
    adrian_k wrote:
    Pyro, I'm afraid I agree with Eoren. Although the word 'gimmick' is a little strong. I've not seen this effect before but I think it's superbly executed.

But then again I'm going through one of my 'no post-processing' phases, so take my opinion with a pitch of salt.

I know I'm taking a risk, but "no guts, no glory", right?
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    lol
    We're different people, you and me - I don't do risky (exception: motorbikes around london), jumping off a 100M bridge attached to a rubber band is _not_ risk.

It's down to taste & your shot is not mine - however I 'appreciate' it. But as was mentioned in another thread, if it does it for you, you enthusiasm may enthuse others.

rgds
    A
    I know I'm taking a risk, but "no guts, no glory", right?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....