Tree Removal

dannymirandadannymiranda Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited January 28, 2008 in Landscapes
I was walking to class today and I walked past this pretty neat looking house on Benefit Street. Anyways, there was a leafless tree spread across the right side of the picture. I spent some time removing the branch. This is my first time doing anything like this, let me know what you think or if its obvious. Thanks for looking!

Before
246988076-L.jpg

After
246987950-L.jpg
 Macbook Pro | 2.2GHz Core2Duo | 2GB | 160GB HDD | 500GB HDD x 2 | Creative GigaWorks T20
 30 GB iPod Video | Sennheiser PX100 Headphones
 Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi | EF 50mm f1.8 II | Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 | Manfrotto 190XPROB & 484RC2
dannymiranda.smugmug.com

Comments

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    I think you did a fine job. Closer examination revealed nothing to me. So did it take long? A lot of cloning I suppose. Did you use a tablet, or your mouse?
    Growing with Dgrin

• bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Nice job removing the branch. The additional post processing looks much better as well. Providence is a such a great city to shoot. I've got a side view of that same door way in my gallery. :)
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Great job! I never would have been able to tell there was any cloning involved if you didn't tell us. Even knowing about it I still can't find any artifacts.

You are a very, very patient artist! clap.gif
  • dannymirandadannymiranda Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the comments! It took me about 1.5-2 hrs, not to bad. I also used my mouse and not a tablet. The most difficult part was probably the window.
     Macbook Pro | 2.2GHz Core2Duo | 2GB | 160GB HDD | 500GB HDD x 2 | Creative GigaWorks T20
     Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi | EF 50mm f1.8 II | Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 | Manfrotto 190XPROB & 484RC2
    dannymiranda.smugmug.com
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I think the cloning job is great. However, I think the color saturation is just a bit too far.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Great jo on the cloning. The only area that looks evident is in the top right-hand corner of the window frame. If you hadn't of mentioned it, I would have assumed that it was just an imperfection in the frame itself. Those corner areas are always a pain.

I agree on toning down the saturation a touch but other than that, nice image.
  • dannymirandadannymiranda Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Toned Down
    I toned down the saturation slightly. What do you think? I definitely like it better.

247217648-L.jpg
    dannymiranda.smugmug.com
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Nice job on the cloning and the shooting...

It's a minor detail but, the only comment I have about it, is that the brick that the branch went over on the left side of the window looks like you copied it directly from the brick above, so now you have two identical sets of bricks right next to eachother, you might try introducing a little bit of variety into it, by tinting the brick you cloned or turn down the opacity a bit and clone in some color from another brick.

Still, nice job!clap.gif
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I prefer the toned down version, but I will follow everybody else and say welldone on the tree removal

Tim
  • PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Excellent work, great job. I love the 3rd one with slightly less saturation. Nice job on the "refinishing" of the door.
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I'm always amused when I look at shots like this that have been cloned. I look at the edited shot and think, ah, there's a spot that's been changed, and then I go back and look at the original and it turns out it hasn't!

Needless to say, the only "flaws" that I found were actual details of the building, lamp post, etcrolleyes1.gif

As I wasn't able to find any ACTUAL edits, I'd say nice job!
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I like the toned down....
    Growing with Dgrin

• kundalinikundalini Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Nice PP work. I'd like to see the bottom of the door as well. Seems truncated at the bottom of the image. Just an opinion.
    I'll not repeat what others say, so, you can call me Brer.

"... but I'll be sober in the morning." - Winston Chruchill
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    I can't tell you cloned it out. I may be in the minority, but I like the super saturated version.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Wow...good job...you have a lot of patience...

I think I would have gave up and left the branches. No, I know I would have :D

Your work shows that patience pays off.
  • jkcashinjkcashin Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    First, the cloning.. bang on! I was going to complain about the tone but then you posted a second one with less saturation. I like it better that way. I found the higher saturation one to be too orange. My brain expects brick to be red, but there was an almost overwhelming feeling of orange to the first shot... overpowering the red. Great work!

Jamie
  • argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Real nice job on the branch removal. I agree with the earlier comment about the saturation in the first reworked version...just a bit too much, but really not that unpleasant. The second edit looks really good.
    "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    What a difference! I prefer the first "saturated" edit.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com