Windy cityscape

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited January 25, 2008 in Landscapes
Just messing about with a skyline shot from the weekend in Chicago.

A little background: it was a high of 5F that afternoon and I have no idea what the temps actually were by this time of night (roughly 7 PM with horrendous gusts), but it was estimated to be probably -25 or -30F with the wind chill. I've seen a few shots from this vantage point but I'm sure most of them were taken under balmier conditions. I've never experienced cold like that before, and it was so bad my LCD kept icing over and I couldn't see through the viewfinder or get my tripod to open all the way. Of course, I can laugh now because I came home with all my appendages in working order. :rofl

247009846-L-2.jpg

You can see the ice floes drifting by on Lake Michigan. I tawt I taw a polar bear!

Comments and feedback welcome, as well as explaining to me what some of these buildings are. I was too cold to ask gluwater for the guided tour. :D

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    It's a beauty. That water looks like a giant skating rink.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Looks nice.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    The blue tints help add to the chill. Boy, you are a trooper. Hot cocoa (or a hot toddy) sure would have been nice after that shoot. I like those scallops cut into the shore.
    Growing with Dgrin

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 24, 2008
    Schmoo, nicely done! I like the Muench star treatment with the city and building lights. Incorporating part of the pier is a nice touch which grounds the image giving it more depth.
    Pssst - it doesn't look that cold in the photo. mwink.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Schmoo, nicely done! I like the Muench star treatment with the city and building lights. Incorporating part of the pier is a nice touch which grounds the image giving it more depth.
    Pssst - it doesn't look that cold in the photo. mwink.gif
    Heheh it never does, does it? All that suffering for nothing! lol3.gif

I'm glad to hear this feedback from ya. I was unsure about keeping the pier or not and at the last momet decided not to crop it out because it resulted in the usual pano-with-reflection format. Dunno really how to give a skyline photo a foreground to anchor it and spice it up, so I hoped the pier would do. thumb.gif
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    I've been waiting to see this shot. I still haven't downloaded mine yet. I'm afraid mine is horrendously blurry from the wind. I didn't see any Polar Bears out there but now I know what one must feel like. I really like this crop. I may have to use it in the future mwink.gif .
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 25, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    ... I didn't see any Polar Bears out there but now I know what one must feel like...

No polar bears, but isn't there a pack of coyotes that are often spotted around the lake area in the winter?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    A true gem. I love it.
    Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/
    edited January 25, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    I've been waiting to see this shot. I still haven't downloaded mine yet. I'm afraid mine is horrendously blurry from the wind. I didn't see any Polar Bears out there but now I know what one must feel like. I really like this crop. I may have to use it in the future mwink.gif .

Hey Nick how's my WB? rolleyes1.gif

You're right about the blurry. I think I lucked out with getting the shot this one time because it was only a 10 sec exposure at f/7.1 according to my EXIF. I think after this I pushed it to f/22 to blur the water... er, ice floes, but the exposure times were too long then for my tripod to be stable.

Thanks guys! Are you serious? Coyotes? Where do they den? eek7.gif
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I've never experienced cold like that before, and it was so bad my LCD kept icing over and I couldn't see through the viewfinder or get my tripod to open all the way.

It was worth it thumb.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    nice capture schmoo. for a few seconds there i thought you were talking about baltimore...skyline didn't quite look right.
    great crop.
    E
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Love the sky color and the reflections in the lake. Nice capture.
    edited January 25, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    nice capture schmoo. for a few seconds there i thought you were talking about baltimore...skyline didn't quite look right.
    great crop.
    E

D'oh! I forgot to say in the OP that this was Chicago. Edited to add that bit. :D

Thanks, guys!
  • mANVILmANVIL Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    D'oh! I forgot to say in the OP that this was Chicago. Edited to add that bit. :D

Thanks, guys!

Nicely done schmoo. I haven't gotten a chance to process mine as my fingers are still thawing. This was the first time in my photography career that I stopped taking pictures because I was cold.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    No polar bears, but isn't there a pack of coyotes that are often spotted around the lake area in the winter?
    Last census there were 2000+ coyotes found in the Chicago city limits. The most famous being the one that crawled into the cooler at a Quiznos on Adams and Wabash. That is one block east of the Art Institute. The numbers even surprised the researchers doing the study.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited January 25, 2008
    mANVIL wrote:
    Nicely done schmoo. I haven't gotten a chance to process mine as my fingers are still thawing. This was the first time in my photography career that I stopped taking pictures because I was cold.

I don't believe you. You never stopped taking pictures you crazy bloody-knuckled yeti-man! :D

Now show us some pics.
    edited January 25, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    Last census there were 2000+ coyotes found in the Chicago city limits. The most famous being the one that crawled into the cooler at a Quiznos on Adams and Wabash. That is one block east of the Art Institute. The numbers even surprised the researchers doing the study.
    Poor little guy! Well I suppose if it was a choice between Quiznos and Corner Bakery, the meat eater would go for the meat. lol3.gif

That is a huge number of doggies in the city area. No wonder you had such good luck with the coyotes in Glacier. I bet they were just trying to communicate with their own. :D