Advice on a Portrait

CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited January 25, 2008 in People
Any suggestions on what I might do to give this shot some *pop* ?
I use only Canon cameras and glass
www.portraitwhisperer.com

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    Any suggestions on what I might do to give this shot some *pop* ?

If you want this to pop more, you could deepen the blacks. The hilights are great, but the blacks are a bit too gray.
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Like this?
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • rwdfresnorwdfresno Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    ccpickre wrote:
    Like this?

Well I agree on bringing down the blacks a tad but not as much as in this example. I think there is some shadow detail lost there on the starboard side eye especially. I think the picture is well composed, just a tad of a hot spot on the bridge of the nose and on the fingers but can probably work some photoshop magic there. I really like the tight crop, I dig that sort of thing and it works well here. Beautiful subject as well. I really enjoy portraiture that is a little bit different than the standard waist up, shoulders and up. If only I could get my act together and make some of my own :D
    Ryan Davis
    my flickr
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions, and the compliment as well. I lost a bit of the black depth when I put in a light gaussian blur. After I did it I immediately saw that I lost some of that contrast that gave the shot a bit more character. I was just wondering if anyone agreed,, and it seems you did. Thx again.
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I think making the blacks come up more is a good idea as well, but I'm just not liking the amount of shadow on the left side of her face just me though I'm sure. I think it looks as though she has a dark circle under her eye
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Flutist wrote:
    I think making the blacks come up more is a good idea as well, but I'm just not liking the amount of shadow on the left side of her face just me though I'm sure. I think it looks as though she has a dark circle under her eye

I agree. I wish my command of light was better than it is. I don't use reflectors so I am often hounded by the fact that one side of the face is too dark. I am a sucker for the dark shadowy shots and many of my clients now request shots like that in their session.
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    The hand just ruins it for me. Maybe without the hand and a slight head tilt would make it more interesting.

Decrease blacks and slight levels should do it for the pop.
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I do tend to over contrast my photos :)
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici