Options

Using Photoshop in Windows Vista

StudioVoxPopStudioVoxPop Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited January 28, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I'm about to upgrade to a new PC that runs Windows Vista. I checked the Adobe website and it looks like Photoshop CS2 will run well w/ Vista. Photoshop CS is not supported.

I currently use Photoshop CS2 on my XP machine. When I installed CS2, I was upgrading from CS. When I go to upgrade to the new PC, should I install Photoshop CS and then the CS2 upgrade? Will this work? Has anyone tried it? :dunno

Justin

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited January 25, 2008
    Gonna scoot this over to Digital Darkroom Gear.

Generally, an upgrade product looks for the original install or a part
    thereof. So install CS and then the upgrade.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I would try installing CS2 first. Some applications may simply ask for a code or to insert the previous version disc for verification. If CS isn't supported, I'd be worried about it working in the first place. I've just been setting up a new computer with Vista, and CS3 works great!; but can't vouch for the earlier versions.

Also, FWIW, if you're new to Vista, an annoying problem is that the mouse pointer doesn't always seem to lineup with what you're trying to click. I finally discovered by going to Mouse under control panel, that one option is the Windows Scheme. The default seems to be Windows Aero, which apparently is what creates most of the 3D and glowing effects. If you select None, it defaults to the good old fashioned XP look, and everything lines up nicely. :D
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    aj986s wrote:
    Also, FWIW, if you're new to Vista, an annoying problem is that the mouse pointer doesn't always seem to lineup with what you're trying to click. I finally discovered by going to Mouse under control panel, that one option is the Windows Scheme. The default seems to be Windows Aero, which apparently is what creates most of the 3D and glowing effects. If you select None, it defaults to the good old fashioned XP look, and everything lines up nicely. :D

Odd, I haven't experienced this with any of my mice or Vista PCs. I wonder what's different about yours?
  • Options
    FrankFrank Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    aj986s wrote:
    Tony - Thanks so much for this mouse pointer tip. For my first week with Vista, I've been going around in circles (literally) trying to figure out why I keep missing selections with the mouse. Your suggestion took care of the problem. Now, I'll have to move on to installing Photoshop.

Thanks again,

- Frank

Justin - Good Luck with your install!
    .... .- ...- . .- -. .. -.-. . -.. .- -.--
    "Whether you're rich or you're poor, it's nice to have Money!" - Alfred E. Newman
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Since I started with Photoshop 4, upgraded to 7, then CS, and now CS3, I can tell you to install CS3, it will ask for the CS2 disk, you insert it when it asks for it and CS3 will install. Man I would die if I had to install 4 and then all the upgrades to build a new computer...

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    That's interesting. I upgraded from CS to CS2 and it only asked for my CS serial number.
    I did a fresh install of CS3 since the educational disount was better than the upgrade price.
  • Options
    TerryLPTerryLP Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    When I installed CS2 it just asked me to put my CS disk in for it to verify, then it completed the CS2 installation. You do not need to have the older version already installed on your computer. During the CS3 installation all it does is ask for your old serial number.

Good Luck
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    I know this isn't your question, but just for me personally, CS3 runs circles around CS2 and is worth the upgrade. The ACR features alone are worth it (clarity, fill light, and the RAW converter... how did I live without these?)

Why am I pointing this out? Well, when I had CS2-- I pretty much hated it. As a RAW shooter, it was frustrating to have to use two programs (Canon's and Adobe) to work on photos and I was happy to leave behind my version of CS2.

Blab blab blab... again, I know that wasn't your question but if you're serious about photography, kick CS2 to the curb and pay more for CS3. It really is worth it in the long run-- least for someone like me who spends four or five hours or six or seven hours a day in photoshop.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    StudioVoxPopStudioVoxPop Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Thank you to everyone who responded.

Yes- I did not need to install CS to get the CS2 upgrade on the new computer. I just needed to pop in the CS disk to prove I actually had it.

And I do plan on upgrading to CS3, just as soon as my tender wallet allows.

:D

Justin