So this is me :D

ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
edited January 26, 2008 in People
My only selfportait..Im not 100% pleased with it but i still think it´s a deasent one.

Pros and cons?.

247103313-XL.jpg

Comments

• 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    You have a bit of a hesitant look, or look of trepidation...maybe that reflects this being your "only" self-portrait, or your first effort. I think it is decent too, but maybe you'll have a more confident look if you try it some more -- if you care about that.

I read somewhere regarding portrait photography that the subject often mirrors the photographer's own expression, and successful portrait photographers use that knowledge to help draw out the expressions they are looking for. I think that to a degree if you are comfortable in front of a camera, you are more comfortable behind the camera, when shooting people.
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    1pocket wrote:
    You have a bit of a hesitant look, or look of trepidation...maybe that reflects this being your "only" self-portrait, or your first effort. I think it is decent too, but maybe you'll have a more confident look if you try it some more -- if you care about that.

I read somewhere regarding portrait photography that the subject often mirrors the photographer's own expression, and successful portrait photographers use that knowledge to help draw out the expressions they are looking for. I think that to a degree if you are comfortable in front of a camera, you are more comfortable behind the camera, when shooting people.

There´s something in that. I have a bunch of others that people took of me. Will have a look at them.

I agree that i look a bit.."off". That´s why we did a reshoot :)...Don´t like my sloping neck...What do you think about tha lighting?.
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Yep, thats you alright.

so, we agree then?
    lol

nice shot, the lighting looks good.. how about being more "in frame" though.

These are hard to pull off, are you using a remote or self timer?
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
    edited January 25, 2008
    zacker wrote:
    Yep, thats you alright.

so, we agree then?
    lol

nice shot, the lighting looks good.. how about being more "in frame" though.

These are hard to pull off, are you using a remote or self timer?

Im using my friend :D haha
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    Im using my friend :D haha

So does that actually count as a "self portrait" then? rolleyes1.gif

I still like it. The simple and effective lighting against the dark background is very edgey. I don't have a problem with the negative space on the right, especially if you are a more cautious type of person who would normally be found behind the camera or at the fringe of a discussion, rather than the center. thumb.gif
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    self portrait
    I like the expression. It's perhaps a good representation of the light heartedness of the subject. It shows personality. However, being a little more in frame would be nice. The lighting is kewl. I love low light portraiture, but something about the coloring looks off to me. I dunno...maybe a little too saturated. Otherwise an interesting shot.

As for being a self portrait....In my humble opinion, it qualifies as a self portrait if you set up the shot and adjusted everything, and all your assistant did was fire the shutter.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I like the lighting.thumb.gif

The negative space to the right is ok.thumb.gif

I think it looks better cropped along the top to get rid of the negative space up there.......taking it back to a 2:3 ratio crop.

I believe the photograph would have been improved by choosing a different shirt. Aside from the distracting bold text, the color (white) of the text has used up some of the dynamic range in this image. As it is, that white is the brightest spot in the image.....yet the focus should be on you!!!

These are of course only my opinions....stay tuned and next week I will give you my opinion of the winning LOTTO numbers!!!
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    ...In my humble opinion, it qualifies as a self portrait if you set up the shot and adjusted everything, and all your assistant did was fire the shutter.
    The famous photo artist Nikki Lee, for her many "projects" series, actually has her new-found "project" friends take their own snapshots (which always seem to include Lee) that are the main representation of her art... okay, that's a little out there :D

Here is a link to some Nikki Lee info:
    http://www.mocp.org/collections/permanent/lee_nikki_s.php
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I like everything about the photo, don't change nothin.
  • KawguyKawguy Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 25, 2008
    thumb.gif Good one!
    edited January 26, 2008
    hehe thanx for comments. I need em!.

About the shirt.

We just got bored "again" so we just ran into the studio. Not atended to take some portraits. So that´s why its not so planned.

About the crop thing. Well you portraitfolks probably know what you are talking about. But i just like when it´s a bit open space on a photo. Don´t know why, if it´s the best for porait i don´t know?. It´s just my way to do it, and you have seen it on other photos taken by me.

We did this one together. Arranged the flash and all that. So i don´t know if its cheating or not? :D.

I have a new portrait that im working on atm. Just have some problems with some burned out white on a piece of my arm. Will try to solve that and post it here. Since it´s better imo.

Thanx for comments. I will try all the tips that i got from this post. I like taking portraits actually, its more fun then i thought.