Is this sensor failure?

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited January 26, 2008 in Cameras
If so, would it be worth trying to fix a d50? I would guess no. It appears to be a problem with good lighting and faster shutterspeed.

247163364-M.jpg

Here's a shot inside at about 1/60 s.

247163555-M.jpg

Here's a shot at 1/500 with a flash

247163720-M.jpg

Comments

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    It's not sensor failure. That's the mirror in your body that's not moving out of the way fast enough.
    Take the lens off your body and look at that big mirror inside. That big mirror swings up and out of the way of the sensor when you take a picture. That's the big clunking sound you hear when you press the shutter. You can lift up the mirror w/ your finger to see what I'm talking about (it won't hurt anything)

I've seen this happen w/ strobes when the sync speed is too fast. But never w/ ambient light. I'd say its time to send it in for a tune up. But I'm no expert w/ this. I'm just letting you know what it is so you don't have to worry about your sensor :D
  • TelecorderTelecorder Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I'd have to somewhat agree -- its the mirror... No EXIF info -- what's your shutter count? If its in the 50,000's, possibly need new shutterheadscratch.gif
    Telecorder (Dave)
    Apple Valley, CA
    D50-BIGMA-70-300VRII-35f2D-18-70DX-FZ30
    My SmugMug Image Galleries
    My Nikonian Image Galleries
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    It's at 51000 on shutter count. The last picture is actually 51,001
    edited January 25, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    It's at 51000 on shutter count. The last picture is actually 51001

If memory serves me right, D50 shutter actuations in this range are where some have reported issues occuring...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=84958&forum_id=58

Not sure what the current costs are but in 2006 it was reported as being in the $150-200 range...
    Telecorder (Dave)
    Apple Valley, CA
    edited January 25, 2008
    I hate these kind of predicaments. Is it worth replacing the part or getting a new camera? I think I will wait until I see any new camera announcements out of Nikon. I am actually leaning towards a used D2H as most of my shooting is for a newspaper,sports, so file size is not really an issue.
    edited January 25, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    I hate these kind of predicaments. Is it worth replacing the part or getting a new camera? I think I will wait until I see any new camera announcements out of Nikon. I am actually leaning towards a used D2H as most of my shooting is for a newspaper,sports, so file size is not really an issue.

Probably a good idea... I just saw a post on a D50 w/5K clicks + 1GB card + Remote for $375...
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=82373
    Telecorder (Dave)
    Apple Valley, CA
  • ZZR_RonZZR_Ron Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    I don't know if it's common, but the last sensor failure I had (little Konica-Minolta) had all my pictures coming out pink.
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    When the mirror in my 300d failed it looked like your first pic, but it did it with every shot. I had the BestBuy extended warranty so it was fixed free of charge.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
    edited January 26, 2008
    I will probably take this to a local shop and hopefully it's just a matter of getting a tune up and no parts will have to be replaced. If there is extensive work to be done, then it might be a new/used camera.