help with 420ex

PicturThisPicturThis Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited January 26, 2008 in Technique
Well i just got 2 420 ex's and when i mount them (one at a time) 1 of them flashes a red light on the 50 and the other one does'nt. They are mounted on a rebel xti with a 15-85 and 75-300 and there is no change when the focal length is changed. Did i get a bad unit (ebay) or am i doing something wrong. When the unit is off the camera it still flashes the 50, but if i select slave it goes to 24 and the other stays not flashing anything. Batteries have been changed.
Chris :thumb
XTI
Canon 18-85
Canon 75-300
2 - 420EX's

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I am not really following your verbage but.....

Are you trying to use them together....master and slave.....that flash will not act as master...slave only to a 580EX or ST-E2 transmitter.
  • PicturThisPicturThis Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I am not really following your verbage but.....

Are you trying to use them together....master and slave.....that flash will not act as master...slave only to a 580EX or ST-E2 transmitter.

no im using them one at a time just trying to see if both units perform the same. both are slave units i know this i did read that in the manual but i cant find any type of trouble shooting for this instance.
    XTI
    Canon 18-85
    Canon 75-300
    2 - 420EX's
    edited January 25, 2008
    Is the "zoom" set to manual on the flash? You didn't say what the "50" referred to.
    edited January 25, 2008
    There is no selection for manual vs auto on the flash. This is what the book says: "the 420ex's flash head zooms automatically to provide adequate flash coverage for thelens focal length in use. flash coverage is provided for the 24mm to 105 focal lengths. the corresponding autozoom position indicator on the speedlite lights. when a zoom lens is used the flash coverage changes automatically to suit the focal length you zoom to."
    so the 50 refers to 50 mm flash coverage i guess but no matter what lens or what focal length i select it does'nt change. This may sound silly but i think focal length refers to the amount of zoom right, not distance between the camera and the subject. Am i wrong for thinking this?

also is the xti and the 400d the same camera?
    because 400d sounds so much cooler
    XTI
    Canon 18-85
    Canon 75-300
    2 - 420EX's
    edited January 25, 2008
    I have the 580. It can be set to manual zoom or auto zoom. In manual zoom the user adjusts the dial on the flash to "zoom " the flash head. The number(50) refer to the lens focal length.

Maybe a 420 owner will pipe in soon. If there is a manual/auto setting on the flash it is perhaps in manual....otherwise......?

Surely you had the camera as well as the flash pwered up?

Were the units new or used?
    edited January 25, 2008
    Ok,

The 420ex was discontinued awhile back so they must be used.....

According to Bob Atkins website, "manual zoom" was introduced with it's replacement the 430EX.

I would guess at this point that either one of two things is going on.
    1. The camera is not communicating properly with the flash. Maybe try cleaning the contacts on the hot shoe and bottom of the flash.

2. It is broken.

It may very well be the contacts since you say neither unit is reporting the correct focal length.

That is the best guess(es) that I can muster.
    edited January 25, 2008
    thanx
    XTI
    Canon 18-85
    Canon 75-300
    2 - 420EX's
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Does the 420 have a pull out panel on the head? If so make sure it is pushed all the way in.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
    edited January 26, 2008
    well hows this for feeling silly the dam thing works as its supposed to i only tested it in bounce and not direct flash
    Thanx Jeff, Eric and susan
    XTI
    Canon 18-85
    Canon 75-300
    2 - 420EX's
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Glad you got it all squared away.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com