Bryce #22

bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
edited January 26, 2008 in Landscapes
Here is another shot of Bryce Canyon also in BW. Thoughts and feedback welcome, and thanks for looking!

Bryce-22a.jpg

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    I don't understand why you would make a black and white image of such a beautifully colored place. For me, Bryce is all about the colors and textures. If I were to make a black and white of bryce, it would have to be an image that was more strongly about forms. This is a wide landscape, and removing the color does nothing for me. The shot is not interesting at the level of forms and textures. It's a vista.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    I actually like the idea of trying to make a b&w out of a Bryce shot simply because there are thousands of good color ones.deal.gif

This shot however does not have enough contrast and depth to really grab and hold my attention. It doesn't draw me in.

I think a great b&w could be accomplished here but in this particular shot I think the snow is working against you.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    I think it is lovely. Nice range of tones. Even though Bryce is colorful, it is fairly monochromatic. So, I think it works well!
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    I've found that BW images of the southwestern US are not for everyone. My color version of this is, IMO, quite nice, but I thought I'd try it as a BW. I like the BW version, but yeah, it's not one of my best BW images. That's why I put it up here, for honest feedback and to learn something. Thanks for the critiques everyone.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    I think it is worth mentioning that Ansel Adams made the american west appear on the map because of his stunning B&W images. He shot solely B&W till he died in the 90's as well.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Very nice shot. I'm all for photographers interpreting scenes they way they see them- their vision. If we don't do different things we're all the same. Blah. Out of the kajazillion shots I've seen of Bryce, this will probably be one of the the interpretations I'll think of when I take my opportunity to do a shoot there. Keep up the good work.
    Anybody can do it.
  • xendless xurbiaxendless xurbia Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    I think it is worth mentioning that Ansel Adams made the american west appear on the map because of his stunning B&W images. He shot solely B&W till he died in the 90's as well.

Actually, to quote Adams himself:
    I should state here that most of my readers do not think of me as being a color photographer. In fact, I have given the impression of being hostile towards it. During my professional years I did a lot of work with Kodachrome. I never engaged in color printing, but I did concern myself with printing press reproductions, Were I entering photography now as a young man I undoubtedly would deeply concern myself with color. I stayed with black–and–white simply because I enjoyed the controls the process offered. However, I feel strongly that color photography is one of the major expressions of our time. I have applied visualization and the zone system to a great variety of color images and I find both are compatible and effective.

and
    I have done no color of consequence for thirty years! I have a problem with color—I cannot adjust to the limited controls of values and colors. With black–and–white I feel free and confident of results.
    However, I have done some color in the past which is acceptable.... The Kodachromes have lasted the best of all. I am perplexed over what to do about the good transparencies, as some are worthy of preservation.

All quotes from http://www.amazon.com/Ansel-Adams-Color/dp/0821219804

Sorry to be pedantic, but he did die in 1984. :P
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Actually, to quote Adams himself:

and

All quotes from http://www.amazon.com/Ansel-Adams-Color/dp/0821219804

Sorry to be pedantic, but he did die in 1984. :P

And yet you didn't comment on the photo.
    Anybody can do it.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    And yet you don't have the open mindedness to comment on the photo.

Whoa. Keep it nice. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops