I think I scored!

Mless5Mless5 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited January 26, 2008 in Cameras
Hi, my first post other than a few in FS section. Anyway, I recently picked up Nikon d100 and after going through Nikon and Tamron lenses, I think I finally got what I was looking for. It is Sigma lens, but I am not exactly sure what model it is. In any case, I really like it and at $100 it was a score! Can anyone provide some feedback on this lens? Just curious. 28-70, f2.8, filter size 77mm.

Thanks!

DSC_94451731.jpg

Comments

• 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    It's an older film lens that will work with digital(from what I've been able to find on the net), although I'm not sure how the apeture will work. I'd guess you would set in on the camera body wide open and then adjust it on the lens itself given the situation.

All in all a 28-70mm range with a 2.8 constant for $100, sounds pretty good to me so long as you don't mind the manual apeture bit. A lot of good deals can be had with the older lenses so long as you don't mind the "extra work" involved.rofl3.gif
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Mless5Mless5 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Thanks for clarification. I couldn't find any info on the Sigma's website, but it is full auto and so far I am quite pleased with pictures. Really heavy though.
    edited January 26, 2008
    So your not having to use the apeture ring to adjust?

Hmm, I may have to give the older Sigmas a look.
    Christian.

• Mless5Mless5 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    No, full auto, not manual modes either.
    edited January 26, 2008
    Very nice, big Sigma super-teles here I come.
    Christian.

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    20DNoob wrote:

I have some old nikon lenses and the apeture ring has to be set to wide open or I get an error. Once that's set, everything is available by setting with the camera.
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Some older Sigma lenses can work on dSLR but some need to be re-chipped. I've read that Sigma will do this for free but I've never tried it myself.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    20DNoob wrote:

Nikon made all their AF lens capable of being used on all their MF film slrs to keep their entire body line working. Short of the little aperture "ears" thingy use on the F photomic/Nikkormat for the light meter all their pro F body cameras can use the AF lens correctly.

lens_ai_ears.JPG

That is why Nikon didn't change it's lens mount like Minolta and Canon did when they went to AF bodies. Nikon wanted to be and remain the "professionals" choice by not making their entire MF lens and bodies obsolete with the new AF system. See below even their most current lens can be put on an F2 ,FM, FM2, FE, FE2, FG, FA and the F3.

nikkor17-35f2.8dafsifedlarge.jpg

Just a bit of Nikon history for yeah. My old boss at Southern Photo Supply in Melbourne was a hard core "If It's not Nikon iT SUCKS!!" kinda guy and I heard this over and over when I saying the EOS1 was better then the F4. I still think I was right.

thumb.gif